NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 23 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 14th, 2004, 02:38 PM   #331
Warden

There is no way of knowing without seeing some examples. iDVD also does not have an adjustable compression setting. The compression is all handled behind the scenes by the software with no input from the user. So, long programs get more compression than short programs.

What did the signal start as, Beta SP, DV etc.? Transferring from DVD to SP is certainly not the way to go to get the best quality.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2004, 02:59 PM   #332
Major Player

Hi Jeff!

It started as DVCAM..
I only have the fcp selfcontained file left. (ca 1.3 gb for five min of video. Is that uncompressed??)

what would be the best way of doing it?
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #333
Warden

Down grading is never a good idea. Programs that aren't designed to work with the old OS are put in the application folder. You need to get QT Pro registered to FCP.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old March 14th, 2004, 03:22 PM   #334
Warden

DVCAM is a compressed format. Then iDVD recorded another compressed format (MPEG-2). All that compression is not good for image quality.

Old March 14th, 2004, 04:25 PM   #335
Major Player

Thanks.

So what would be the best, shortest(?), way of making a DVD or alternatively a beta tape.
I work with a dvcam camera, fcp3 and a mac with superdrive..

Thanks.
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2004, 04:58 PM   #336
Warden

Going straight from FCP to Beta would be better than using a DVD as an intermediary step. The added compression of MPEG-2 decreases image quality.

Old March 14th, 2004, 06:06 PM   #337
Major Player

Ken, thanks for the editorial comment! I was telling my wife about this thread last night, and she said essentially the same thing - "I hope that this isn't just another way to keep you from doing what you love, and not thinking that it's good enough."

I really appreciate your words,

Milt Lee
Milt Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 12:12 PM   #338
New Boot

Video Monitor

I am looking to purchase a NTSC Broadcast Quality Video Monitor to hook up to my G4 Powerbook. Can anyone tell me where I can get the best quality monitor for the lowest price? Thank you.
Tyler Spiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 02:12 PM   #339
Warden

Use the link in my signature to our sponsors. Sponsors support our community and forums. Our sponsor are well known and offer all the major brands at great prices.

Old March 17th, 2004, 09:56 AM   #340
Wrangler

Can you export DV AVI from FCP

Hello,

I do not use FCP but I was wondering whether FCP can export an DV AVI for use on a PC. Can you install say the Matrox DV codec, or Canopus codec and export from FCP using them?

Cheers,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #341
Regular Crew

Yes. Export using Quicktime conversion and select DV AVI (can't remember exactly what it is called). The codec is exactly the same for Quicktime DV (DV is DV, except for the way the file stores the information and the headers and all that kind of stuff), so Final Cut Pro can play and edit DV AVI's without any problems. But PCs are too limited to be able to edit Quicktime DV's for some reason in many cases. As far as those proprietary DV codecs go, you are probably out of luck. Why are there proprietary DV codecs anyway? Man I'm glad I keep all of my video in the Mac world. :)
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 03:36 AM   #342
Wrangler

Hi Ted,

Thanks for your answer.

Do you know whether the audio is imbedded in the video or a separate audio file, Like WAV?

Cheers,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2004, 12:13 AM   #343
Regular Crew

Sony DSR-11

I just bought a Sony DSR-11 deck. It's very cool...but, I've yet to be able to capture with it. I keep getting drop frame error messages. Never had them when I captured from the camera. Anyone have an idea as to what I am doing wrong?
Mickey
Old March 20th, 2004, 01:36 AM   #344
New Boot

Problems with green bars/idle computer

Everytime I leave FCP 3 on for a long time and don't touch the keyboard green bars appear all over the screen. I cannot get rid of them so I have to shut down the program, put the computer to sleep and then wake up and reenter the program. This is very annoying. Does anyone have this problem and is there an easier solution, like a refresh button? Thank You.
Tyler Spiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2004, 02:25 AM   #345
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I can't say that I know exactly what's causing the "green bars" but it sounds like it is related to your energy saving / sleep settings. Open your System Preferences facility and poke around in the Energy Saver settings. Also look into the Screen Saver settings.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite