NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 29th, 2004, 04:20 PM   #271
Major Player

thanks for the info, I will try that...but is that really the only way? cant I do that in fcp as well ? or will that not work as good?
Do I need to a fotoshop file at DV targetresolution or can I leave them as big as they are?

director/cameraman

http://www.slingerlandproductions.nl
David Slingerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2004, 04:25 PM   #272
Major Player

I tried that and it works fine!! If it wasnt for this forum I would have pulled my hairs out a long time ago....
thanks!!

director/cameraman

Old February 29th, 2004, 04:27 PM   #273
Contributor

no problem,

I'm glad it worked.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2004, 04:31 PM   #274
Major Player

downgrading the OS

I have to downgrade my OS from panther to jaguar because avid wont run under it. I have everything so it is not a problem...but I noticed that it will put all my old OS files in a special file and create a new OS Jaguar... Will I have to install all the programs all over again or can I simply place them in my NEW HD?

greetings

director/cameraman

Old March 1st, 2004, 04:53 PM   #275
Warden

The OS installer will move all your applications to the new Jaguar Applications folder (assuming they were in the applications folder to begin with).

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 11:22 PM   #276
Regular Crew

cannot launch FCP version 3

I tried to launch Final Cut, and couldn't, followed by a message "please insert the original CD that was used to install Final Cut Pro"...Any thoughts whilst I try to re-locate that disk?
Tim Tonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 11:35 PM   #277
Warden

Sounds like the invisible file that contains serial number data is corrupt, or got moved. You can try deleting the preference files and restarting. Do a search and you'll find by instructions. There are three preferences files that need to be deleted.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old March 4th, 2004, 01:50 AM   #278
Regular Crew

chapters on iDVD3 with FCP4. Can I do it?

I'm sure this has been covered, but one of the advantages of iDVD3 over iDVD2 is that it can include chapters. I know that it can add them with iMovie, but can I add these markers with FCP4 and have them recoginized by iDVD3? If not, I guess I'll have to get DVD Studio Pro 2 (which I want anyway, but $ is always in the way!)
If it's easy, how do I do it? If it's hard, I guess I'll honker down and read the manual.
Thanks
-Kyle
Kyle De Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 01:54 AM   #279
Inner Circle

Many users report lots of trouble upgrading to iDVD3. I wouldn't fix what isn't broken. If you do have to upgrade, I'd back-up before doing so.

In FCP you can add markers and change them to chapter markers. m to add and mm to edit them if I remember correctly. Otherwise right click and it's in a menu somewhere. I don't use iDVD2 (or iDVD :P) so I'm not sure if that works, but it should.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:47 AM   #280
Wrangler

Did you move the software to another computer maybe? Otherwise I think Jeff is correct in that the file is damaged. Whenever you install or move FCP you will need to have the original disk that came with the software. In fact they have used some sort of copy protection scheme such that a backup copy of the CD won't even work, it must be the original Apple-supplied item. I think they can send you a duplicate for a fee, provided you can prove registration. However FCP 3 is old now, so I don't know that they're still supporting it in that way.

Start searching for that disk, I think you're going to need it...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 11:50 PM   #281
New Boot

FCP and modifying media file names

Hello all,
I noticed something rather strange while capturing for my current project. Im runnning 2X2Ghz G5 FCP 4.1.1 - capturing with a Sony DSR-50. When capturing I decided for organization reasons to change some of the clip names and naturally decided to change the media file name at the finder level and reimport as to avoid confusion later. (confusion==having a master clip and a media file with different names). So when I reimported the renamed QT I noticed to my astonishment that the Media End TC was now different than the originally captured file by a couple of seconds!! The Media start time was uneffected. My thoughts immediately went to - OK worse case scenario my drive dies and I have to redigitize... will it restore the clip and me be on my merry way. Hmmm... still not sure... just checking out there to see if anyone has run across this non-frame accurate problem. Thinking it was a software glitch I called Apple. Nice guy, his response - the manual somewhere refers to the fact that you must reconnect media instead of reimporting... geee thanks. Ill add that to my exceptions list. Reminds me a bit of English class.

anyone?
thanks
j
Old March 5th, 2004, 06:30 AM   #282
Warden

I don't ever rename clips. It's asking for trouble. Same with just moving clips and not using the media manager.

Have you played the clips? Are they the same or different?

Old March 5th, 2004, 11:32 AM   #283
New Boot

Yes I have played the clips.
When I put the original clip on V1 and the name-modified clip on V2, I found that V2 contains 1sec 5fr additional media than the original clip - (you actually see the timecode break occur on the QT). All footage appears to be frame-accurate when compared to tape up to the point of the tc break.

When testing to see if the longer clip will batch capture .... mixed results.

So, I guess manually attempting to keep things clean and tidy between clip names and media file names is a no, no. I better brush up on the Media Manager a bit more...

j
Old March 5th, 2004, 03:27 PM   #284
Warden

If you want to try to separate your media files, you can also use the color labeling provided in Panther.

Old March 6th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #285
Regular Crew

Capturing live video in FCE ?

I've been trying to do this for the last couple hours. I've got my GL2 connected to my G5, and I can see the live video in the capture preview window, and the audio meters indicate sound. When I click on capture now, I get the message "Waiting for timecode. Device must be in VTR mode when device control is enabled." It shows VTR OK in the preview window. I've tried Realtime and Firewire from the View menu with no success.

So, needless to say, I'm stumped on this one. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kirk
Kirk Messner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite