NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 24 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 20th, 2004, 02:43 AM   #346
Warden

Does the computer go to sleep? Are the greeen bars part of the screen saver? What happens when the computer wakes up?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2004, 02:50 AM   #347
Warden

What were the tapes originally recorded on? Have you cleaned the heads on the DSR-11. Quite often the heads on new cameras and decks need to be cleaned.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2004, 07:30 AM   #348
Regular Crew

The tapes were originally recorded on either a Cannon XL1 or a Cannon GL2.

Using FCP4 there is no problem viewing them in the log and capture mode, but when I attempt to capture I get a time code error and jerky playback within a few seconds.

I have not cleaned the heads. I am reluctant to do so until I'm sure that is the problem. Is it possible I've overlooked a preset or preference setting?

Mickey
Old March 20th, 2004, 11:22 AM   #349
New Boot

Green bars

The green bars aren't even really bars. I would say green streaks and green patches. When they appear I can't run the program properly. When I shut the program down, the green streaks are still there until I put the computer to sleep. When I wake it up again, they are gone.
Tyler Spiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2004, 04:38 PM   #350
Major Player

Yet another monitor question

Ok here goes....

I have the option of getting 2 x 17" lcd's or I can get 1 apple 20". The only thing is, the apple 20" is the far end of my budget. Is it worth double the 2 x 17" lcd setup?

Thanks in advance.
Old March 20th, 2004, 05:45 PM   #351
Regular Crew

Well, in my opinion, yes. It's all one monitor and there is nothing serperating it. The LCDs are definitely of higher quality as well. Dual monitors can be good, too. But if it was me (and at one time it was) I would go with the Apple.

Sounds like either way you can't lose!
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 12:05 PM   #352
Regular Crew

Mixing on a G5 with lo and fcp4

Hello,

I am planning on buying a new G5 with 4GB of memory, 2-23 inch HD screens, FCP 4 and AJA's Lo. This will be the first apple I have bought and I am extremely new to the whole Idea of using an apple and Final Cut Pro. The machine will be primarily used for editing documentaries, recording voice-overs and some occasional 3D Animation jobs. I was wondering if you think this setup would be good for my purpose?
The main reason I created this thread is because I have a question on which mixer I should get. This mixer will be used for recording a voice in a professional studio and adjusting volumes in fcp4. Right now, I am leaning towards the makie 1604, but that was just because a friend has one and he really likes it. I do not have a price restrain, but I do not need a 5,000 mixer. I would like to thank all of you for your time.

Cheers,
David Appelgate
David Applegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 02:26 PM   #353
Major Player

Your G5 setup should treat you very very well. Do you need to mix more than one source going into the G5. If not a quality single mic pre may be better suited than a small cheap mixer.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 02:46 PM   #354
Regular Crew

Hello,

I am very new to editing and use Adobe Premiere and only have one 17" monitor. What is gained by adding a second monitor and how are they configured with the cpu etc.

Thank you for any input

Bob
Bob Fitzgibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 04:02 PM   #355
Regular Crew

Yes I will need more than one source going into the mixer. Also, The mixer will not need to be moved.

Cheers,

David Applegate
Old March 21st, 2004, 04:19 PM   #356
Regular Crew

Bob Fitzgibbon,

A second monitor is better because it allows you spread out your programs over two screens. Thus allowing you to have two programs open at the same time or premiere streched across both screens.

As far as configuring the cpu, it is not done that way. First you need to have a video card that supports dual monitors and if you don't have one you will need to buy one. Once you get a dual monitor supported video card, just plug in the second monitor and everything should work.

Cheers,

David Appelgate
Old March 21st, 2004, 04:32 PM   #357
Regular Crew

Avid Vs. FCP

Hello Everybody,

As you can see from my previous thread I am buying a new high-end apple. While pondering about my future fun, I was starting to convince myself to get avid rather than my original decision FCP4. I will need this computer to create war documentaries, recording voice-overs, minor 3d work and other odd jobs. One of the major reasons I am choosing FCP over Avid is FCP, is my experience with the two has demonstrated that FCP is much more stable and stability is a major factor. What would you get considering money is not an issue and why? Thank you for your time.

Cheers,
David Applegate
Old March 21st, 2004, 04:32 PM   #358
Contributor

Unless you are recording more than two things at a time or overdubbing instruments for music production you do not really need a mixer. A good USB interface with a preamp, like the Mbox, might do very well for you.

Also, if you will be working with DV-originated material why will you need the Io? If you need mutichannel audio (more than two) you can use something like a MOTU 896, and you will need additional software (FCP can't use more than two audio inputs at a time, I think).
Old March 21st, 2004, 05:14 PM   #359
Inner Circle

As you've figured out, dual monitors are cheaper than one big monitor in terms of screen area and resolution (bigger monitors sometimes hit resolution limits).

You need a dual DVI card like the Matrox ones, a workstation 3d card (Nvidia/ATI), or a gaming 3d card with dual DVI (only a select few Nvidias have em like the gainward 5600 and asus ti-something). Matrox is probably your best bet unless you need 3d acceleration (games, after effects). On the Mac most video cards do dual DVI... but you need adapters (ADC-DVI I think).

There are some other expenses to dual monitors like electricity, desk space/furniture, obsolescence, and adapters/video card but dual monitors should still be cheaper.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 08:06 PM   #360
Regular Crew

Ignacio Rodriguez,

I took a look at the mbox and decided it was not right for me and in a few cases may be recording one stream of audio at a time so I will need a mixer. As far as the lo goes, I will also be importing Analog primary footage and would like the capability to go HD.

Cheers,
David Applegate
David Applegate is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite