DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 9th, 2004, 11:12 AM   #451
Regular Crew

idvd error

I tried to burn a FCP film with idvd but I've had some problems.

The film is 70 minutes long. First I tried exported it as a quicktime movie, I got 3/4 of the way through the burn and I got an error message. Then I expoted it asa "final cut pro" movie. Same result,

The error code is 2147352542.

Anyone know what this is about?

Thanks
Joe.
Old April 9th, 2004, 11:31 AM   #452
Regular Crew

Thanks.
Cannon Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 03:28 PM   #453
Regular Crew

Jeff, I am in the middle of a long back and forth email correspondence with Sounddog--very good support. Thanks for asking. Grant
Grant McClintock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 03:29 PM   #454
Major Player

Help? Where do Renders go?

Hi,

I'm at a friends and we're trying to colaborate on a project. She's put together video and audio in Final Cut Pro 4 and needs to export or render it so that I can pull it into my PC editing program (I use Vegas).

AVI's are fine so I don't think this will be a problem. The problem right nos is I know nothing about MACs and she knows enough to get her projects done just on the mac.

We rendered from FCP4 but to my chagrin it didn't prompt for a filename or location and when we search her hard drives for files with names similar to the project and there's nothing sizable enough to be the 14 minute file that we rendered.

Can anyone help me locate this magic file or perhaps explain the best way to output a high quality project from the mac so I can import it into my PC for further editing?

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin Kimmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 04:29 PM   #455
Regular Crew

You have to export the movie.
File > Export > Using Quicktime Conversion...
Format: AVI
Options: Video: DV/DVCPRO NTSC
Quality: Best
Frame Rate: 29.97
Sound: Compressor: None
Rate: 48000
Stereo
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 05:22 PM   #456
Major Player

Is that lossless? I thought render was lossless and conversion used compression?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old April 9th, 2004, 05:28 PM   #457
Regular Crew

If you're going to the DV codec like I listed above, it will not lose anything from the timeline since it is not being recompressed, only creating a standalone file.

The DV codecs in AVI and Quicktime are the same. DV is DV. Only the structure of the format itself (Quicktime, AVI, etc) is different, not the actual data used.

If you're really concerned, install Quicktime on the PC and go to File > Export > Quicktime Movie (NOT Quicktime conversion). That just exports a standalone QT really fast with zero conversion, guaranteed.
Old April 9th, 2004, 05:30 PM   #458
Major Player

Thanks a million. I just pushed the render out via export. Now I'm just going to have to figure out how to access the MACs firewire drive through the file sharing on this thing.

:)

Thanks again,
Kevin
Old April 10th, 2004, 01:01 AM   #459
Regular Crew

To make the tracking shot to split screen work smoothly, I suggest you change the framing of the lead guy just as the girl's image wipes in.

The camera follows the lead guy and he's more or less centered in the frame. His phone rings and very smoothly, the framing changes to where he's now fully on one side of the frame.

The shot of the girl push-slides in at a similar speed to the change in framing on the guy. Which side of the screen you place them depends on where they're facing, but they should be facing sort of towards each other. The phone call ends, she's push-slid out back to where she came from and the framing of the guy moves smoothly to where it was.

You could even cut to the split screen instead of wiping or push sliding. The cut could correspond tightly to the guy opening his phone or pushing "talk." Aesthetically it would make perfect sense, especially since it seems this is the guy's point-of-view. The empty half of the screen a second before and a second after the split-screen cuts would enhance the effect.
Murad Toor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2004, 04:00 AM   #460
Regular Crew

I wouldn't even change the framing. You could just push the guy's image over. Or if you are shooting in widescreen (which you should be because 4:3 is evil) you could just take two full frame 4:3 images and butt them against each other. Like Jeff said, there are MANY ways to do this.
Old April 11th, 2004, 12:54 AM   #461
Inner Circle

Color Correction/Adjustment Techniques?

I'm pretty adept at altering colors of an image in Photoshop, but FCP (I'm in version 3) has several video filters that claim to be color correctors. Which of these do you guys prefer?

Also, I read a tip on here that to get a film look, you need to go into curves and make a lazy "S" curve. I can't seem to find a filter in FCP that has an actual curves adjustment interface (like the one available in Photoshop). Does anyone know if FCP even has this type of curves adjustment interface?
Old April 11th, 2004, 01:03 AM   #462
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I recommend a good book on color correction.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2004, 01:41 AM   #463
Inner Circle

Thanks, Ken.

I've been doing more research, and found some links to more information on the internet. Here are the links for anyone interested . . .

-- very detailed article
www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/cc_legal_fcp3.html

-- a DVD on color correction, looks pretty in-depth
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...c_dft_dvd.html

-- a great little Quicktime video -- check it out!
www.dvcreators.net/media/colorcor.html

This was the best of what I found so far. If anyone else has any advice to add, especially if anyone can comment on locating a visually-representative curves filter in FCP, please do. Thanks in advance!
Old April 11th, 2004, 10:08 PM   #464
Major Player

Dvdsp2

Just saw a couple academic version of DVDSP2 on ebay. Whats the difference? I mean If I am creating DVD's for home use is there any reason why I couldnt use this version?
Old April 11th, 2004, 11:28 PM   #465
Regular Crew

Just the license. You cannot legally use it for projects in which you could make money. That's it. The features are the same.
Ted Springer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite