NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 28 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 31st, 2004, 11:48 AM   #406
New Boot

Or create one in CG. Do you know anyone who has/works with a 3D program? There are a lot of them out there, and what your asking for is pretty straightforward. The rendered image could be ketyed into the corner as you'd like.

If you'd like, I'd take a crack at it for you. I have some 3D software, and I think I have some time next week.

Let me know!
Kevin Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 01:32 PM   #407
Regular Crew

Jeff, no I didn't log out. Sorry, let me give you a step by step.

I quit FCP.
I fiddled with the files as above.
Brought up FCP to check it. No audio.
Quit FCP.
Put files back.
Opened FCP no audio.

I never turned off the computer, restarted, went to sleep.

BUT WAIT!
Lastnight I read about the sound being funneled back to the VTR (In this case, my Sony VX2K) . So afterlunch I fired up the G4, opened FCP, unplugged the firewire from the VX2K, AUDIO! (I'm still just working in the FCP window, I haven't gone to QT or burned dvd yet.

So the problem is gone, but I would still like to know what I did wrong. Unless that is just what happens if you leave it plugged into the camera.

BTW I really love FCP. This is a great NLE program.

Thanks
Joe
Old March 31st, 2004, 01:32 PM   #408
Regular Crew

help with the clock.

the time was somehow taken off my toolbar. how do i get it back? sorry for this question that is irrevelant to editing. when i go into system preferences and then into date and time and click on show date adn time in menu bar nothing happens and when i go back into it the selection is not selected anymore.
Alfred Tomaszewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 01:46 PM   #409
Warden

Apple Menu>System Preferences>Date&Time Preference Pane>Clock Tab>check the "Show Date & Time box>Quit System Preferences.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 01:48 PM   #410
Warden

Ah, editing while I'm replying. Click on the Lock in the lower left corner. Use Disk Utility to Repair Permissions. Restart.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 02:02 PM   #411
Regular Crew

that didnt work either. just to make sure i did it right, it should be locked or opened? should the lock on the disk utility be locked too? if it helps all fo the status icons are gone. (like the one that says if i am available or not and the volume)
Old March 31st, 2004, 03:22 PM   #412
Regular Crew

i called apple care. turns out it was a corrupt system preference. thank you for your help jeff. this post can be deleted.
Old March 31st, 2004, 08:24 PM   #413
Regular Crew

SOLVED "offline" clips crisis

Hello! A call to the vendor of our original system (PROMAX, I must give credit where credit is due...) said it might be a THUMBNAIL CACHE problem. Yes... that was it.

I had to trash preferences, thumbnail cache and a few other things. It is apparently a common problem in FCP. On the mac.com website under FCP it is the second think on the faq or problem-solving list.

So I am much happier here.

For those interested in what is going on and what we do with our Canon DV1-S and our mac, see www.wozoproductions.org and click on the videos page.

Thanks everyone and talk to you soon,

Jane
Jane Regan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 06:10 AM   #414
New Boot

Editing material shot in anamorphic mode

Hi,
I´m editing material shot on DVCam using the anamorphic button on the camera. I copied this onto miniDV and I captured some of the material without having the correct settings (DV Pal), realized my mistake, changed them to DV Pal anamorphic and continued. In my browser, in the anamorphic column, I ticked the clips that I had capured in normal mode.
I started a sequence in FCP 4 and everything seemed to be fine. I opened another sequence and did a copy-paste from sequence 1 to sequence 2. Suddenly some clips were distorted as if they had become super, super wide. My sequence looks like a terrible mess jumping from normal looking to super wide. It´s a mess.
Does anybody have any idea what is happening?
Thanks,
Kirsten
Kirsten Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 11:02 AM   #415
Tourist

Hard drive for media storage, Firewire or ATA?

Hey guys,

I am buying a second hard drive for my FCP 4 editing setup, which consists of a Mac G4 with one ATA 80gb HD. Should I get a FW drive or another internal one? I have read some articles that say FW drives have problems with dropped frames and less real time effects etc., but there seem to be a lot of people using them for capture and playback. When I was in school we used FW drives for media capture and storage on our avid system, and that seemed to work fine.

Basically, I would like to know if you guys recommend internal or FW with price and performance in mind, performance being more important. I know it should be 7200 rpm, 911 oxford chip, 8mb/sec etc. Thanks, and if there is already a post that covers this exactly I apologize.

Galen Summer
Summertime Productions, Inc.
Denver, CO
Galen Summer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 11:41 AM   #416
Trustee

Hi, and welcome to the forum. You may want to do a quick Search up top for firewire - this exact topic has been discussed a few times in just the last month. Even just earlier today.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 06:37 PM   #417
Inner Circle

A FW drive is an ATA drive inside an enclosure. ATA is definitely cheaper, faster, although you don't get the portability of firewire drives. Portability is good in a school situation since you can quickly "transfer" files around.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2004, 06:33 AM   #418
Major Player

Dropouts after capturing?

Hi.

I just went through some material that I captured to the hard drive aa couple of weeks ago. There appeared two drop outs that hasn't been there before.

Is this common? (It's not a big deal, just to recapture but annoying and time consuming!)

Thanks.

(FCP 3 on a 1.25 iMac with a maxtor harddrive)
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2004, 02:48 PM   #419
Inner Circle

One advantage to an internal ATA drive is that you can stripe a pair of drives together with disk utilities (I think that's what I used) and the G4 will see the two drives as 1 drive, which is helpful for capturing lots of footage in a large project.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 12:08 AM   #420
Inner Circle

Minidisc audio capture problem

I have a G4 500 MHZ dual processor and am trying to capture an audio signal from the optical output of a minidisc deck. The USB interface I have outputs at 48 kHz, but I can only get my computer to capture at 44.1 kHz. Why can't I capture at 48? I don't like upsampling to 48 (the minidisc outputs at 44.1) and then downsampling to 44.1 at capture only to have to upsample to 48 again to make the AIFF file. This just seems like a bad idea. Should I send back the USB interface and find one that samples at 44.1? If I could find a way to get the computer to capture at 48 I guess that would work too, but it also seems like it would be better to add dither when I upsample, which is why I want to capture at 44.1. Help. This is more than a dyslexic person should have to try and comprehend.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite