DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 3rd, 2004, 01:29 AM   #421
Major Player

real-time image flip

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm currently using Final Cut Express 1 and know very little about Final Cut Pro 4. I have an upside down video recorded (via homemade 35mm adapter) that needs to be flipped in post. Considering I have a fast G4, would a 180 degree rotation be accessible as a real-time effect and not require rendering?
I'm figuring this is the case and that I don't need to pursue any custom configurations for FCE because they'll be available after upgrading to Pro.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 04:50 AM   #422
Regular Crew

Have you tried capturing the MiniDisc audio via analog input? Try it and also try the same track capturing digitally and then listen to both closely to see if you can hear the difference. I totally understand wanting to get absolutely the purest sound possible, though.
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2004, 03:35 AM   #423
Regular Crew

Capturing audio only

Is it possible to capture just the audio from a clip in Final Cut (Express). I have recorded some dialogue onto my XM-2 - so I don't need the video at all and I'm trying to keep my file sizes down.

Thanks
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2004, 09:31 AM   #424
New Boot

Does the stopwatch have to be a "photo-realistic" one? If not, you could easily make one using After Effects using a circle on one track and a "second hand" on another track. Use the rotate feature for the track with the anchor point set at the one end of the line (and in the center of the circle).

This will give a nice "stopwatch" effect. Of course, you could use Photoshop to make a better looking watch. Do the entire sequence on a black or white background and mask it (or alpha it) once you bring it into FCP.

Can't help you with any 3D CG stuff. Out of my league. Only thing I can think of is what you guys have already suggested... film a real stopwatch on a greenscreen.

Hope this helps.
Scott
Scott Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2004, 09:59 AM   #425
New Boot

I am not familiar with Express but in FCP2 you choose (Clip Settings- Audio only) in the Log and Capture dialoge box. Hope this helps.
Old April 4th, 2004, 11:17 AM   #426
Regular Crew

Thanks Gary, but I can't seem to see anything like that in Express... Does anyone know about Express?
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2004, 03:04 PM   #427
New Boot

Justin

I do'nt want to steer you from the wealth of knowledge on this sight but try this sight- http://finalcutproplanet.com

It is a sight dedicated to FCP. I'm shure someone there Knows the answer to your question.

Good Luck

Gdog
Old April 4th, 2004, 07:15 PM   #428
Regular Crew

It's entirely possible FCP is mixing up media files, if the original files were left at FCP's defaults instead of having been given unique names.

You might try Tools > Render Manager, delete all render files, and re-render everything. That might help.

If the original media files have similar or identical names and the render file flushing doesn't help, it should hopefully not be too difficult to manually reconnect the correct clips in your timeline just based on timecode.
Murad Toor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 07:01 AM   #429
Regular Crew

Transition Problem, FCE

I have just started my first project in FCE. When I try to place a cross dissolve between cuts (by various methods), I get an "Insufficient content to complete edit message." Both cuts are long enough (around 30 sec.). Any idea what the problem is?

Also... I have put scratch disks on a Maxtor 200. The program occasionally says it can find these when it wants to auto-save. I go to the preferences and everything looks right. I want to use this outboard drive because I have limited space on my hard drive. Again, any ideas.

Thanks, Grant McClintock

PS- I am able to insert a cross edit at the beginning of the sequence, but then I cannot adjust its duration.
Grant McClintock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 09:02 AM   #430
Regular Crew

I just spoke with Apple support and the fellow said I need to munually overlap the cuts to insert the transition. Can this be right? There is nothing in the FCE Training Series book about this.

Grant McClintock
Old April 5th, 2004, 01:02 PM   #431
New Boot

Sound Capture

I am new to FCP 3 and am confused about audio. All the clips I import are placed at 0db. Is this the best level for the audio. How much should I raise and lower the audio to get what I want. I am worried I will make clips too loud or too soft. I tried to read the manual but it's very confusing. Can someone give me a brief explanation of how audio works. Very basic just to get me started. Thank You.
Tyler Spiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 01:18 PM   #432
Regular Crew

Well the meters should only be used as a guide (in the lower right corner of the screen). The 0db level on your sound clips means nothing other than they can be raised +12db and lowered to infinity FROM THAT POINT. It has nothing to do with how loud it actually is. Anyway back to the meters in the corner of the screen... I try to get an average of -12 to -6db with the dialog. It bounces all over the place, but if the dialog is *fairly* steady, you can design the other sounds around it, as you should know if you want a particular sound to be more loud or more quiet than the dialog.
Old April 5th, 2004, 01:21 PM   #433
Regular Crew

I am not familiar with FCE, but I think maybe the Apple guy might be sippin' some of the crazy juice, or he just isn't quite explaining it the best way. When you do a cross dissolve, make sure that you have at least 15 frames on EACH SIDE OF THE CUT for each clip. It sounds like you have no farmes, otherwise you should get at least a one or two frame dissolve.
Old April 5th, 2004, 05:45 PM   #434
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help. That was exactly the problem. I finally got through to the right person and got the info. Grant
Old April 6th, 2004, 05:25 PM   #435
New Boot

Magic Bullet PAL to NTSC problem

Hey all,

I've searched the forums far and wide and have tried almost everything.

Here's the situation: I have some PAL, 50I footage I shot with a Canon XL 1S that I want to de-interlace and convert to NTSC using Magic Bullet.
I captured it via Vegas, and then took it to work with me on a firewire drive so I could edit it with FCP 4.
I brought it into FCP 4 and edited it, then exported it as an uncompressed clip.
I took the clip and brough it into AE and ran MB on it, lower field order, last pulldown method (as recommended in the MB manual).
However, when I watch the finished product, there are these horizontal lines that appear whenever there is any amount of motion (a door opening, someone walking across the room, etc).

Anyone have any ideas on what might be going on?

I posted a pic of the problem here:
http://www.sw26management.com/mbproblems.jpg

Thanks!
Jaz Garewal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite