NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 44 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 21st, 2004, 07:41 AM   #646
Regular Crew

It's not Pro :( - it's Express. I have done it before on different sequences and it has worked. Don't know why it's not working now.
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 10:16 AM   #647
Major Player

Moving my Mac

Hey guys!

I will be moving in the next month and wondered if you any of you knew or know of any precautions that I should take in packing and moving my G5. During my last move, I lost everything on my PC. I know with PC's there is some DOS command that you can type to lock the hard drive down for a move. Is there such a thing for Mac's?

I kept the box that it came in, so I will be using that, but am still real worried due to past occurances. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance...
Clay

edit: forgot to put that i will be moving in a big penske truck and be travelling for 1000 miles. The computer will have to go in the back of the truck...or i can put my dog in the back and the computer up front...
Old May 21st, 2004, 10:37 AM   #648
Wrangler

That's an archaic DOS thing, modern hard drives lock automatically and have done so for many years now. I've never had any problems moving many Macs, and if you have the original box you're even better off.

However common sense should apply. I know this gets difficult with large drives, but you should really do a backup. Consider getting a big firewire drive if you don't already have one. Then you could pack this drive elsewhere (your dog could hold it for you in the front seat ;-)

BTW, I just returned from a 1,000 mile trip in a U-Haul truck, moving my daughter's college apt. Phew... loading and unloading was no problem, but I'm getting too old for 800 miles driving in one day!

Have a good move!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 12:36 PM   #649
Major Player

Thanks for the update! I sometimes live in archaicness. The hard drive that I lost last move was an old 1GB drive, and I have no idea if it locked or not when it shut off...all i know is that I got to where I was going and all was gone.

That's a good idea about backing up, but impractical moneywise right now. Would anyone recommend removing the hard drive and keeping it in the cool front of the truck with me and my dog? Or, is this impractical? Thanks again...

Clay
Old May 21st, 2004, 01:15 PM   #650
RED Problem Solver

I'd just think about how the mac was shipped to you or the store you bought it from - if it's packed the way it came, it should stand up to your journey. I think backing up important files to CD rom, and the whole drive to a firewire drive is a good idea, and having an extra firewire drive around is never a bad thing... I wouldn't bother to take the drive out of the mac - I don't see any advantage to it.

Good luck with the move.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 09:32 PM   #651
Major Player

Thanks for the replies. I guess I am just paranoid because of what happened last time. Do you guys think it will be ok in the back of the truck in the heat too? We're talking middle of the summer Texas heat here! I guess UPS guys do it all the time, so things should be fine??? Thanks again...

Clay
Old May 22nd, 2004, 01:53 AM   #652

Can someone tell me if I'm right about FCP HD?

It claims uncompressed 10 bit 4:2:2 1080p 24 frame support at 90-160 Mbs HD WITHOUT EXTRA CAPTURE AND EDITING HARDWARE? Am I right in assuming you can just run this on your standard G5 with standard Mac card in it, FCP and enough speed and space and you've got a film-screen worthy HD NLE?

Tell me what I'm missing here?
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2004, 05:19 AM   #653
Warden

This link to Apple's FCP pages will give you the facts. Here is a list of the supported formats and the I/O's

Supported formats and I/O*

Uncompressed 8- and 10-bit HD (4:2:2, YUV) via PCI card

Uncompressed 8- and 10-bit SD (4:2:2, YUV) via FireWire or PCI card

DVCPRO 50 (4:2:2) via FireWire

DV/DVCAM (4:1:1) via FireWire

NTSC and PAL

HD at 1080i and 1080p (23.976, true 24, 25, 29.97, 30 fps)

Laurence, as you can see the specs for FCP state the an additional PCI card is required. This third party "capture" card is available form several sources. In addition, a RAID 0 will be required for capture and storage of media, at the resolution you want. I'm not sure who made the claims you refer to, but you are being mislead.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:07 AM   #654

Jeff,

Thanks for your response. Well, I know raids are expensive, but I knew that was coming anyway. Is the PCI card expensive? Have you suggestions on which ones to look at? I'm looking to put togeter an HD system that is good enough for editing productions designed for theatrical release (independent of course).

Ya, I've looked at that page you gave me many times, but I'm a bit of a laymen on the inner workings on computers (I'm not too bad, but really need to learn much more) and assumed if you bought a turnkey system with Final Cut Pro HD it would be included.

Here's a turnkey system at B&H that I assume is HD and can do the 10 bit 1080p. Am I correct?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=302873&is=REG

Thanks!
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2004, 01:59 PM   #655
New Boot

idvd burining on a g5

i was wondering if anyone here new how long a 70 min video would take to burn.... i am transfering vhs to dvd imported trought imovie and set it to burn... anyone have any idea -thanks
Fernando Maldonado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2004, 02:11 PM   #656
Warden

No, the I/O board they spec will not do HD. You will need the AJA Kona HD board, CineWave HD or the Aurora Ignitor X board. There is another thread here with links.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:14 PM   #657
New Boot

Widescreen / Keyframe

Using FCP, I'm trying to rotate and blow up a video clip without it effecting the widescreen matte I've put on it. As it is now, the matte is rotating and scaling larger also. (I placed the matte after adjusting the clip rotation and size...) Anyone know how to isolate the widescreen matte so it's not effected by filters, movement etc.?
Jeff Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 04:16 AM   #658
Regular Crew

Remover the widescreen matte from the clip you want to rotate - then rotate it and put the widescreen matte on a seperate track (above the rotated clip).

OR what I've found easiest (especially if you need to apply widescreen to lots of seperate clips) is to finish the piece - colour correction, editing, audio etc etc and nest the whole thing in a new sequence - then apply the widescreen filter to that finished nested sequence - that way you only need apply the widescreen filter once (and you will avoid the problems of the matte changing position and/or colour).
Old May 23rd, 2004, 04:21 AM   #659
Regular Crew

So, is this not a problem that should be happening? It doesn't make sense to me either, maybe there's a simple thing that I'm not doing.... anyone...?
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:52 AM   #660
Warden

The Apple Help menu for FCP has complete, detailed instructions for nesting. It sounds like you are missing a step or have a box uncecked somewhere. I don't use Express and it's different enough from FCP, I don't want to give suggestions only to find out Express has a slightly different configuration. I would read the FCP Express manual and if it's still not working, try the Apple FCP Express forums.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite