NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 53 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 11th, 2004, 07:56 PM   #781
Warden

FCP does it with key frames and motion paths. FCP help has info on key framing and how to do the panning effect that that you want. i use Photo to Movie because it saves time and my time is worth more than the cost of the application (plugin).

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 08:17 PM   #782
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Sloan : It is a good idea to have all your media files on a seperate drive. The problem is that if you move project media files around then your project won't be able to find them. It registers their file paths so if you move them you'll get a bunch of missing clips error messages. Use the built in media manager if you want to save yourself a headache.

Probably the best thing to do is simply start all new projects on the new drive. Just finish your current projects where they are, archive them and move on. You may want to adjust your FCP preferences as well so it saves temp files and captures to the new drive by default. -->>>

Where is the media manager? Also, let's say if i have clips and projects finished on the reg HD. Then I get the 2nd HD and start another project, with everthing new saved there. Let's say I want to use some of the clips (raw footage) that's on the reg HD. Will media manager let me access it or transfer the footage, or can I simply copy it to the 2nd drive and later archive or just erase it from the reg HD?
I'm just trying to figure out if I should just wait till I get the 2nd SATA HD or if I can just keep capturing now and editing and later transfer or get footage from the reg HD.
Ray Echevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 09:25 PM   #783
New Boot

Adobe Photoshop Question

I just loaded Photshop 7.0 on my computer and when I try to important a picture it crashes every time. I've tried installing it several times and the same problem continues to occur. Any suggestions?
Bryan Litt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 09:33 PM   #784
Major Player

Hi there..

HA finally something i can answer! I've done tons of panning/zooming on wedding presentation projs and it's easily achievable with FCP with via keyframing in the picture itself. i.e you drag your file on the timeline, click on it, open up the Motion tab on your file in the view screen and you can do anything u want with it in terms of zooming and panning. It's easy to do but somewhat time consuming if you've never done it before in FCP but after a bit, it get's faster and easier. cheers!
Vishal Gurung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2004, 02:48 AM   #785
Warden

What format (tiff, pict, jpeg?) are you trying to import? Have you tried to Open the file? How much ram does your computer have? What size is the file?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old June 12th, 2004, 11:56 AM   #786
Air China Pilot

Is it a specific picture or any picture? Small, large?
Old June 12th, 2004, 07:31 PM   #787
New Boot

I have tons of RAM - 1 GB. The files are very small and it doesn't seem to matter what kind they are.... .jpg, .gif, etc...
Bryan Litt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2004, 07:43 PM   #788
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Litt : I have tons of RAM - 1 GB. The files are very small and it doesn't seem to matter what kind they are.... .jpg, .gif, etc... -->>>
Try re-installing.
Ray Echevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2004, 07:54 PM   #789
Warden

How much ram is allocated to PS, in PS preferences? I agree with Ray, you'll probably need to reinstall. If the reinstall produces the same results, then it's time to call Adobe.

Old June 13th, 2004, 01:16 PM   #790
New Boot

I just did this on Monday. Someone gave me their project on a drive they needed back.

Find the media folder with the media in it on the drive you want to take it out of. Then just drag and drop. It was that simple.

If your media is scattered on the drive in different folders just name a folder in the source drive and drag all the folders into that one.
Leon Ortiz-Gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2004, 05:23 PM   #791
Regular Crew

FCP and G5 real-time questions

Does FCP sport real-time rendering of footage?

If so, does it require a G5 to pull it off? I've worked with Matrox RT boxes at my last cable co. job, and loved having the speed and power to crank through projects like that.

New job is Mac based, and they're looking for another reason to upgrade the editing computer. :-)

Does the real-time functions in FCP work similar to the MAtrox system? On MRTs, we could cut, edit and dump to finished tape/disk in minutes. I tried doing that with FCP on a G4 1ghz, and it took about an HOUR per minute to render.

What other apps are avail. for the MAc that offer real-time video editing? Any of these handle uncompressed HD?
Ted Bragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2004, 05:33 PM   #792
Warden

The more powerful the computer, the more streams of video you can have and the more RT Effects will work. Not all effects in FCP are RT effects. This is a list of various I/O capabilities and what is required to achieve them:

Supported formats and I/O*

Uncompressed 8- and 10-bit HD (4:2:2, YUV) via PCI card

Uncompressed 8- and 10-bit SD (4:2:2, YUV) via FireWire or PCI card

DVCPRO 50 (4:2:2) via FireWire

DV/DVCAM (4:1:1) via FireWire

NTSC and PAL

HD at 1080i and 1080p (23.976, true 24, 25, 29.97, 30 fps)

Pull-down tools for telecine insertion and removal (DVX100)

Sample-accurate A/V synchronization

Frame-accurate log and captures

Serial device control (RS-422, RS-232)

FireWire device control

Log and capture tool with support for batch, clip and on-the-fly capturing

Still images: PSD, BMP, JPEG, PICT, PNG, SGI, TARGA, TIFF

Insert and assemble editing to tape

Compressor tool for batch export and encoding to MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and other QuickTime formats

* Some features require additional hardware. DV, DVCPRO50 and DVCPRO HD output requires a FireWire-enabled camera or deck. SD output via FireWire requires an AJA Io. Please contact your Apple Authorized Reseller for information.

Uncompressed HD will require a third party board. Depending on the board you may get additional RT Effects.

On a side note a rendering time of 1 hour per minute of program is extremely slow. Are your programs very complex? How much ram is on the system? What version of FCP are you using?

Old June 14th, 2004, 05:45 AM   #793
Major Player

Apple posts demo movie of Motion

Apple has finally posted a demo movie of motion at

http://www.apple.com/motion/video/

It looks amazing. And they are selling it for $299!?
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #794
Trustee

Update to RAID purchase - additional question

Hi everyone,

I mentioned about a week ago that I was going to buy another internal hard drive, so I could RAID my system.

Here is my question -

I was about to order my new internal drive (Seagate 160gig that's identical to the exisiting one inside). However, the guy on the phone at Other World Computing (who says he's an expert) said that I didn't need the FirmTek SeriTek/1S2 card. That doesn't make sense based on what I read on this thread from you guys.

Also, I called another place and they said I shouldn't run my system on a Firewire drive. Instead, I should keep my internal drive for system and then use SeriTek/1S2 (or wait until a few weeks for some newer cards to come out that are even better) to RAID two external drives in an enclosure.

I'm confused because the 2nd place I talked to quoted $750 for the entire setup which would include two Hitachi 250gig drives.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I have multiple opinions on what to do - and the one posted on this board seems the cheapest and easiest. But, I did call to order everything and the people on the phone are saying I need to do it differently!! ARGH!

Any advice/help would be highly appreciated.

Murph
Old June 14th, 2004, 11:24 PM   #795
Regular Crew

FCP HD Crash lesson 19 adding text and Grapics

FCP HD crashes on me when i try to complete lesson 19 in the book (FCP 4 Editing Pro Video)
By Diana Weynand.
I think it has some thing to do with fonts
Help Please

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite