NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 103 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 1st, 2004, 06:57 PM   #1531
Major Player

In the Display preferences set up the 2 displays in mirror mode. This is the only way I've gotten this to work. You might get it to work by making the external display the "master" display as well...
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 07:04 PM   #1532
Regular Crew

Got it to work

Hi Mark

I meant to post this earlier but there is a way in quicktime.

Select Movie | Present Movie...

This dialog shows the layout of your external monitors and lets you choose the one to play to. You can also select to go full screen or whatever on it.

It's pretty cool and is exactly what I was looking for. Note that I'm using Quicktime player 6.5.2 in case it matters.

One another note, the Apple DVD player can do this as well as I found out this evening. I have version 4.0 of it in case that matters. Normally when you select full screen it will go to primary monitor but if you drag the DVD viewer window to the external monitor and then select full screen it will do it on that monitor.

This is how it should have worked in Quicktime but anyway. Hope it helps some of you...

Donie
Old November 1st, 2004, 10:00 PM   #1533
Regular Crew

Sorry. Don't know. (Was compressor available with FCP3?)
Old November 3rd, 2004, 02:38 AM   #1534

Possible up-rez method?

I just recently heard that they have out DVD players with a RGB output that does upscaling to 1080i and 720p. Would it make sense to take a feature shot on 24p, transfer it to DVD and then play it out from these players back into FCP HD for up-scaling? Or is this a lame idea and why?

Thanks!
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 03:09 AM   #1535
Regular Crew

Why would you want to do it? Just use one of those upscaling hardware DVD players or any popular DVD software for upscaling when you would like to play it back.

If you want to upscale it to mix it with HD-footage then I'm sure you can do that digatally in the computer.
Benjamin Taft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 09:03 AM   #1536
New Boot

Think I messed myself up

I think I might have messed myself up on my first short film in FCP 3, hopefully someone can tell me if I did or not. I shot with the dvx100(not A), but I'm editing with FCP 3. I captured the footage, but when I did, I'm pretty sure I captured at 23.98 instead of 29.97, which is what I think you're supposed to do with FCP 3 since it doesn't have a 24p timeline capability. I've edited my whole project already (about 15 min. long). The sequence is a 29.97 sequence, but my clips are 23.98. Did I actually mess up? If I did, what do I need to do? Will I have to recapture my footage and start over, or can I somehow change the footage rate to 29.97 within FCP 3 (if I need to)? Is there any way I can salvage all of the work I've already done?
I would appreciate any help.
Thanks
Nathan
Nathan Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 01:06 PM   #1537
Major Player

This is not an expert comment since I have no experience on your problem.. but, if it looks and sound right, it probably is. if it didn't you would have discovered that before right?

Again, wait for somebody with the same set-up to be sure!!
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 01:50 PM   #1538
Major Player

You may want to check out this thread at DVXuser:

http://www.dvxuser.com/cgi-bin/DVX2/...num=1097870435

Some great results with a program called PhotoZoom Pro.
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 01:51 PM   #1539
Major Player

How did you capture it? IF you did a straight capture and did no conversion with CT, then your footage should be 29.97. If you open the bin and scroll down to the right, there is a column for frame rate...look as see. You can also Control-Click on the clip and select Item Properties and see what the frame rate it.

If you did a straight capture (FCP can't remove the pulldown during capture, that option came out in Version 4) then your media is all 29.97. If is all was 23.98 and you dropped it in the 29.97 timeline, it would have had a red bar and needed rendering in order to play properly.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 02:04 PM   #1540
Major Player

insufficient disk space.

This started today.
Have 291 GB avalible on striped Medea Raid.
Have 3.5GB to capture.
All of a sudden message say 'insuffient disc space remaning in capture scratch.'
WTF?
I'm lost as to what to do next.

Had the Mac G4 dual 1.25 ( the system we are talking about) looked over and checked out by a Mac guru yesterday.
All he ended up doing was disabling a bunch of fonts in
Fontbook.
So now the fonts are back in my generator.
Are the 2 in any way connected?
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 02:35 PM   #1541
New Boot

Freeplay & FCP 4

How do I import the .m4a music files from my .mac account into Final Cut Pro without it cutting out every 5 seconds. I read that I have to convert it to an .aif file, but can I do that without QuickTime Pro?

Any other suggestions?
Krista McCutcheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 03:48 PM   #1542
RED Problem Solver

Compression on DVD will eliminate any advantage. Best route currently would be a hardware scaler such as a Snell & Wilcox. FCP is bad, AE ok, Shake a bit better still. I'm working on a super-scaler for Mac users as a stand alone video aware application that promises to do great things, but is a long way off being usuable by me, never mind anyone else!!

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 06:53 PM   #1543
Major Player

DVDSP 3 and De-interlacing Problems

I've been working on a DVDSP 3 project that has about 20 movies in it and 5 or 6 menus. It's our demo reel. We work with beta sp and capture footage through an AJA IO as Uncompressed 10 bit. we edit in FCP HD. I'm actually new to DVDSP but have picked it up pretty quickly in the last week.

The problem we are having is that some of the movies play back properly de-interlaced on a TV but others have bands of interlaced and de-interlaced sections when there is fast movement or horizontal pans.

I've checked the properties of all the clips in QT pro and all are 720x486 Uncompressed 10 bit 422. I can't figure out why some play back fine while otheres don't.

My encoding settings are set to 2 pass VBR with low at 4 and high at 7mbps. I'm not at work right now so I can't remember the setting but it's called something like motion mapping or movement mapping but I have it set to Best. Field order starts with lower field as do our FCP sequnces.

My boss e-mailed me tonight saying that one of the problem clips when encoded in iDVD looked fine.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 07:35 PM   #1544
Regular Crew

I've heard that you can do this directly with QT, but I've never figured out how so I do this from iTunes.

Make sure your Importing ("ripping") preferences are set to AIFF. Select the files from the iTunes library that you want to convert and choose the menu item Advanced->Convert to AIFF. iTunes will do the conversion, change the suffix to .aif and leave the results in the library.

Go to FCP and Import the converted files.

Mike.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 09:06 PM   #1545
Major Player

I only have FCP 3.x but it CAME with a Quicktime Pro code... I'd say copy the file to your desktop, convert it with Quicktime to AIFF and then put it in a folder with your project. A way around this, if you don't have Quicktime Pro or Toast, is to put it into iTunes and burn an audio CD with that as a track. Boom, AIFF conversion.
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite