NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 107 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 9th, 2004, 07:44 PM   #1591
Regular Crew

I tried all of the Mac fixits that I could think of and nothing helped.

I tried opening the project on my powerbook and all of the waveforms were there. I moved my hard drive back to my tower and opened the project there. The waveforms returned.

I'm not sure why, but all is well now. Thanks for the replies.
Cannon Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 07:26 PM   #1592
Major Player

PS in FCP

Very basic question.. it seems alot of people are using photoshop to colorcorrect.. How does that work? Can you work with moving images in PS too? If you can do you then export it to QT file for FCP import?

Is PS that much better for correcting than FCP?

Thanks.
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 10:05 PM   #1593
Major Player

Alfred,

You can't color correct video with photoshop. I'm not sure where you got that impression from.
Old November 11th, 2004, 05:34 AM   #1594
Major Player

I might have misunderstood here.. but every now and then I see how people refer to PS as how they have tweaked their video..

Wayne Orr (sorry Wayne, I might be misquoting you here..) said in the "sex thread" ...

"Yipes, Rob. You don't have Photoshop? Most people working in digital video find PS to be an absolute "gotta have it" in their bag of tricks."

What have I misunderstood then? =(

Thanks.
Old November 11th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #1595
Major Player

Photoshop is a needed tool when dealing with STILL images and text.

Photoshop is not used for color correcting. Although I do recall reading some thread a while back where they mentioned it...I thought they were crazy. First you'd have to export your sequence as an image sequence, then color correct EACH FRAME individually.

No no no...use the 3-way color corrector. VERY powerful tool that...and more importantly, the appropiate one.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 02:22 PM   #1596
Regular Crew

Chrominance channel output in FCP or AE

Does anyone know of a way to render output of only the chrominance channel of source material? I think I've figured out how to render out just the luminance channel or seperate red, green and blue channels but I cannot get the chrominance.

It there a way to get both hue and saturation and then combine them?

-j
Jay Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 05:10 PM   #1597
RED Problem Solver

Look in the free filters section of my site www.nattress.com and download them. G Take will allow you to see, and hence save, the Y, U or V Channels of an image (or R, G or B for that matter) in FCP. Save out the U and the V for what you need. There's not one single chroma channel, but two though....

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 05:48 PM   #1598
Regular Crew

Thanks, Graeme.

I have a new question now, though. S-video is broken into two portions, the luminance and the combo of hue and saturation. Do you know how I can generate that combo of hue and saturation as a single rendered movie?

-j
Old November 11th, 2004, 05:53 PM   #1599
RED Problem Solver

No, I don't. It's probably part of how PAL or NTSC composite video works, and it would need such an encoder or decoder to work with it, taking the U & V channels and combining them into one analogue signal, to be decoded at the other end.

Can I ask what you're trying to do. Perhaps there's another way to achieve it??

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 07:07 PM   #1600
Regular Crew

Funny you should ask, Graeme. I'm trying to combine the U and V from an S-video capture with the Y of a DV capture. I got the idea from a thread that you were a part of a little while ago:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=32206

As far as I can tell, the S-video picture coming out of my GL-2 shows all of the same artifacting as the DV picture (albeit less sharp) but I think it's a project worth looking at anyway.

My thought of outputting a combined U and V was to a) save me from rendering them seperately and b) to see if I could have the U and V output combine with the L "live" on my TV via a patchwork S-video cable setup.

I admit that although 'a' is useful, 'b' is just a super geek out on my part.

-j
Old November 11th, 2004, 08:00 PM   #1601
Inner Circle

Quote:

Very basic question.. it seems alot of people are using photoshop to colorcorrect.. How does that work? Can you work with moving images in PS too? If you can do you then export it to QT file for FCP import?
Yes, you can color correct images in Photoshop. Export an image sequence (under QT export). In Photoshop, use "actions" to automate processing for the image sequence.

Quote:
Is PS that much better for correcting than FCP?
No, not unless there's a certain filter in Photoshop which you really like.

In Final Cut you can keyframe your adjustments if need be, which Photoshop can't handle well.

Quote:
Wayne Orr (sorry Wayne, I might be misquoting you here..) said in the "sex thread" ...

"Yipes, Rob. You don't have Photoshop? Most people working in digital video find PS to be an absolute "gotta have it" in their bag of tricks."
I guess Wayne can answer that one. I'm not sure how Photoshop is better for color crrection.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #1602
Major Player

Nice to see that I'm not the only confused one.. ;-)

Thanks for clearing it up Glenn. Do You use PS and if so, what for?

Thanks.
Old November 12th, 2004, 09:06 AM   #1603
New Boot

Monitor/TV ?

I would eventually like to buy a proper video monitor in the short future. Are there any short term ideas like a tv that i can hook to my G5 to playback my FCX projects ?
Chris Lucey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 09:35 AM   #1604
Trustee

You can always play back your footage through a deck/camcorder into the TV. It would go Computer-to-deck/camcorder via firewire, then deck/camcorder-to-TV via s-video.

This is fully capably of playing back video real-time. Is that what you're looking for?
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 11:16 AM   #1605
Major Player

Can't one connect a monitor directly to the G5?? Seems like a detour for the signal to go through a deck..

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite