NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 105 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 4th, 2004, 11:29 PM   #1561
Major Player

Im not sure where your problem is. If you save the file in Motion, for example as "motion.motn" all you should have to do is Import the file in FCP. Then drop "motion.motn" into a sequence and render it in FCP.

Im sure you have already done this, so the one thing that I would recomend is to check your seqence settings to make sure they match in both Motion and FCP.
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2004, 06:05 PM   #1562
Tourist

Adding LCD Monitors to a new G5 2.0

Three questions regarding using FCPHD and Motion on a new 2.0 G5:

1. How important is refresh rate in choosing an LCD monitor? Will I regret buying one with a refresh rate of 25ms (versus Apple Cinema Display's 16ms)?

2. Is it necessary (or advisable) to upgrade the standard NVidia 5200 video card if I plan on running two 19"-20" LCD monitors?

3. If I keep the NVidia 5200 card, what penalty will I pay when working with Motion?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Matt Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 05:14 AM   #1563
Regular Crew

Buy the Apple monitor rather than a third party.

A 16ms refresh is much better than the 25ms for CG graphics work / video. Also the Cinema display means you are HD ready and the colour correction and sync is done for you in Panther without long winded setup procedures.

With regards to Motion, basically buy the best Graphics card you can afford and install at least 2 gig of memory. Motion is a highly demanding application on the system, especially if you switch to it with Final Cut running in the background as well.

Best

Jonathan
Jonathan Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 05:22 AM   #1564
Regular Crew

Hi Patrick. Thanks for your help!!

I figured it out in the end. It was a problem with the QT movie I was using but strangely it didn't throw up any errors.

I recaptured the DV footage and all is well. I must say it does have brilliant integration with FCPHD. I think version two of motion ( one hopes they will fix the lack of sound and give it 3D) will really give After Effects a run for its money.

Best

Jonathan
Jonathan Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 09:25 AM   #1565
New Boot

Hard Drive Set-Up ?

just installed a IDE external (Western Dig 200GB IDE Vantec Nextstar case) as well as a Seagate Barracuda 200 GB SATA. I have backed up the entire system HD to the external using CCC. Now for the seagate i am using it as a media drive. I know to set the scratch disk in FCX to the Media drive but what about say pictures and music ? Should they stay on the stock 160 GB or should i store all pics and music on the media drive ? If on the media how do i specify that on iTunes and iPhoto ? Also how do i move all my video that i have on the 160GB stocker to my new media drive ?
Chris Lucey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #1566
Warden

I'm not following what you're doing. Is the external drive a FireWire drive? How many internal drives do you have? What size are they?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #1567
New Boot

Sorry, i have the stock 160GB internal, a Seagate 200 Gb SATA internal, and a Western digital 200 GB in a Vantec Nexstar case. I want to use the Seagate for a media drive and the Vantec/Western as a back up. I have backed up the entire system to the external firewire drive. I want to know how to setup up the Seagate 200 for media, pictures, music and such. Looking for recommendations on system setup.
Old November 6th, 2004, 01:54 PM   #1568
Warden

How did you backup the system, what software did you use etc. ?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old November 6th, 2004, 02:21 PM   #1569
New Boot

I used Carbon Copy Cloner.
Old November 6th, 2004, 03:21 PM   #1570
Warden

I would partition the drive first. One partition for pictures, music etc. and the other partition for FCP. Use FCP preferences to setup the various scratch disks, folders etc. to the FCP partition.

Old November 8th, 2004, 06:40 AM   #1571
Regular Crew

Anyone?
Ray Echevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 07:30 AM   #1572
New Boot

Any issues with FCP 4.5 & the new 10.3.6?

Besides the Firewire issue?

I have noticed from a lot of different postings, that people are having problems with the 10.3.6 that are on G3 & G4s. Anyone on a dual 2G5 2.5 Ram that hasn't had any problem from 10.3.6. I have two internal 160's. Just wondering if I should take the plundge or wait?
Steven H. Denn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 08:05 AM   #1573
New Boot

got it. project finally completed and in the hands of fedex now.

thanks so much!
Krista McCutcheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #1574
Wrangler

Mac and PC, can I share the love?

Ok, what I really want to know is...

I need to give some video I have on my PC to a guy using Pro Tools on a Mac. Is there any format of video (and CD-R) that I can burn on my PC that he will be able to read on his Mac? Otherwise I'm going to have to make a miniDV and he's going to have to get a deck to recapture it, so I'd like to save that step.

Thanks!

PS I have to give it to him this evening, so any quick repsonses would be much appreciated.

PPS... OK, Jobs IS cooler than Gates.
Old November 8th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #1575
Major Player

How long is the video? Does he simply need to SEE the video so he can do the audio track? Is that what you meant by Pro Tools? If he just needs to see the video to get the timing, but the quality of the video he works on doesn't matter, just export your movie to AVI or MPEG1 and he should be able to view it. Of course, you could always ask him...
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite