NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 57 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 28th, 2004, 03:50 AM   #841

Any advice for me before installing FCP HD?

Hi,

Just got a brand new g5 with FCP HD. Is there any advice from vetertans before I install FCP? I know some people recently had to go back and due fresh installs for some reason. Just want to keep away as few problems as possilbe.

Thanks.
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 06:31 AM   #842
Regular Crew

Simple FCP Capture Issue

When I capture I don't setup anything fancy, I just find the clip I want then get it onto my computer. So far the only way I found to do this was with the 'Capture Now' option, I don't have a problem with that, but i'm used to naming files after they were captured and not as Untitled 1 ... How can I set it up for filenames?

And also I don't get any sound when I am in the capture window but I do when I playback, or any other time for that matter.
Steve LaClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 08:57 AM   #843
Warden

Just let the installer install all the apps. in the default location and leave them there.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 10:20 AM   #844
Major Player

And run repair permissions once you are done with the installation.

Applications->Disk Utility->Repair Permissions
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 02:07 PM   #845
Regular Crew

Need advice on hardware/software.

I am looking to build a new computer for DV editing. I am getting into the event videography business. I can't decide whether to just use my existing amd 3000+, 2gb ram, 9800 pro and add a matrox rtx100 card and some more storage space or to buy a new computer.

Any reson specifically to switch to Mac? or FCP?

Will the above config work well for dv editing? If not what would you recommend?

I am going to be filming using a pd170.

I was thinking of using the adobe software(premiere pro) that comes with the matrox rtx100 card.

Any ideas?
Paul Maxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 03:34 PM   #846
Regular Crew

problem with compressor

I need help. Each time I try to compress a project I get this error message... "unable to connect to background process" What do I do to fix this so I can start working on the DVDs?

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Concialdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 03:48 PM   #847
RED Code Chef

Well this is a coincidence. This just happened to someone else
as well. For that reason I'm point you to the other thread which
you can find here.

Please introduce yourself there stating you have the same
problem. To keep everything in one place I'm locking this thread,
thank you!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 08:12 PM   #848
New Boot

Thanks Dave.
You got me right to the right place. In FCP 4.1 it's:
View > External Video > All Frames

That did the trick.
Tripp Stapleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2004, 11:11 PM   #849

audio timeline making acting up

Hello,

I am fairly new to FCP so excuse me if this is an elementary question.
When I import an audio track and render it in my timeline and play it back the audio makes a very strange noise. I can only describe it as a brief absence of all sound every few seconds that only lasts for a fraction of a second but is enough to both alert and frusturate me. Any idea what this could be or how to fix it?
Please let me know if my explanation isnt good enough and I will try to put it in other words.

PS I am importing mp3 and aiff files.
Old June 29th, 2004, 01:45 AM   #850
Regular Crew

Premier 6.5 Export issues

I just finished a test DVD burn on a portion of my DV project. The quick time file that I used to encode seems to have field dominance issues and the final DVD does too. The rendered playback that I viewed on a TV monitor didnt seem to have these noticeable lines and quality issues. I did have to change the rendering/field dominace settings on some of the shots because of the speed changes that I did to the clips. Once again these changes looked like they were working fine before I exported to quick time and on to the DVD. I think I may have had the field dominace settings set to uppers first instead of lowers first when I initially set up the project. I caught this before it was to late though. Here is a break down of my settings and equip. I mac G4 1.25, Premier 6.5, 60i footage @ 29.97 fps, 1/60 shutter, 720x486 via GL2, lower fields first.
I have tried exporting as DV stream and quick time file at highest quality with settings that match the project.
I did try a search on this topic and it seems that everyone had to adjust their field dominance settigns and they were on their way. I have had to adjust dominance on some clips but not on others. Once I smoothed this out I saw problems with clips that didnt have this issue on the rendered previews. Please help.
Ryan McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 05:46 AM   #851
Warden

DV Stream is a lower quality setting. Change your video settings.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:10 AM   #852
New Boot

Unfortuantely, this is a common complaint here... You can find some info about this if you search for "out of sync" under the search function.

In brief, the problem seems worse with Canon cameras and sync issue just gets more pronounced the longer your capture is. I don't know what software you're editing with or what version it is, but FCP 3 has a User Preferences option where you can designate the program to keep audio/video in sync, whereas in FCP 4 (some or all versions, I don't know) the sync adjust is built in.

Anyway, a quick search on this site will turn up many explanations and some workarounds that other people have used. Good luck.
Bryan Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 12:21 PM   #853
Warden

Try trashing the FCP preferences, the instruction are in the post at the top of the page.

Old June 29th, 2004, 05:57 PM   #854
Regular Crew

Apple 17" LCD and Color Space in FCP HD

What should I set my LCD monitor for closest possible video output match. I don't have an external monitor.

Thanks
Joe Cirino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2004, 06:19 PM   #855

anybody? this is really slowing my progress in finishing up videos....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite