NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 62 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 6th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #916
Major Player

Just apply a Luma Key to the clip and tell it to key out anything brighter than the black silhouettes.
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:25 AM   #917
Warden

The the first post in this forum, at the top of the list of threads.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 01:41 PM   #918
Major Player

Upgradding to 10.3.x usually shows a performance _gain_ due to greater optimizations in the OS code. For me, it meant even my old PowerBook G3 333MHz is much more responsive as well as my DP 800MHz G4. The Journaled file system helps keep your boot drive running smoothly as well...
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 03:01 PM   #919
New Boot

Brian,
You should check out the livefont ...Spotlight... in Livetype. You don't have tons of control but I think the effect is what you are looking for.
Jon Meester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 06:25 PM   #920
Regular Crew

Premier 6.5 export for IDVD

I cant seem to get the quicktime movies that I export from premier to retain the quality and proper field dominance when I import them to IDVD. I have the most recent version of IDVD and I also have Quick time pro with the MPEG 2 plug in,(even though I cant seem to locate it as an option). I have tried exporting as DV, DV stream, Annimation and video. I have my options set for best quality with the proper field dominance. When I play the rendered project in Premier I dont see these problems and I am playing them to an external TV monitor. Do I really have to export to tape and re import to IMOVIE for IDVD access?
Ryan McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 06:49 PM   #921
Regular Crew

Sports Transitions for FCP

I have a wedding that I'm shooting for a pro baseball player and I'm also making their growing up/together montage. Do you guys know where I can find some baseball player transitions for fcp?

Basically it would be the silhouette of a baseball player throwing a ball or swinging a bat which would transition into the next picture. I don't normally use cheesy transitions, but this is what they have requested.

I think I have seen these before, but I'm not sure if they have them for fcp. Thanks!
Brandon Payte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 11:18 PM   #922
Regular Crew

Speaking of cheesy... it sounds like you want those old Toast effects.
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2004, 12:31 AM   #923
Regular Crew

remove app and search for all .prefs (search for final cut in finder) and remove them relating to Final Cut. Reinstall software in default folder and follow *directions*.

In the mac world just always install in default folder that installer suggests. Almost ALWAYS Application folder. Dont try to move ANYTHING. ITS MADE that way so updates always know what to update. No such bull crap as a registry like in M$.

Enjoy FCPHD. Its a winner! Another trick when using a Mac is just to use it. Dont try to "tweak" it or customize anything. Just use the dam machine. ;-)

Joe
Joe Cirino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2004, 03:37 AM   #924
Regular Crew

thanks, guys
Old July 7th, 2004, 05:50 AM   #925
Regular Crew

My footage burned on -R DVD won't play on other players?

Is it because those players are older models and can't play them? Should I get an external DVD burner that burns both -R and +R for my Powerbook G4(1.25gHz) just to cover clients owning older DVD players?

I'm confused on whether +R has better compatibility or -R is better. Anyone have this issue before? Should I get the +/-R burner?
Joe Calalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2004, 06:21 AM   #926
Warden

The last compatibility list I saw still had the -R format with greater compatibility than +R DVD's. There can be many causes for DVD's not playing, such as media brand, burner it's burned on, burn speed, age and brand of player, software used to emulate hardware player on computers and much more. I've had the best luck burning with Maxell and most of the compatibility studies rank it at or near the top of such lists. Some older players, Toshiba in particular, I've had the most troubles with.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2004, 06:25 AM   #927
New Boot

Rotoscoping in Final Cut Pro HD?

I've been reading up on lightsaber effects and from my search on the forums, usually only Adobe After Effects is being used for such an effect...
Johnny Chiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2004, 05:21 PM   #928
Major Player

Personally, I believe it is just crappy programming that makes this the way to go (leave defaults, don't install in another directory). But then, it also has to do with how the file system changed from OS 9 to OS 10. A lot of programs hard code that the path should be /Applications/Application Name which is pretty silly, but the way it is. OS 10 in general is more restrictive in terms of where you can put files. It is really easy to create folders with the wrong permissions, so be careful and you might want to put most of your editing files on a separate drive, OS 10 has much more flexibility for non-boot drives.
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 10:57 AM   #929
Regular Crew

Thanks, this was the fix.

Ron
Ron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #930
Regular Crew

FCP_iDVD question

I have a finished project in FCP 4. If I make a reference file when I export and dump reference file into iDVD. Will this work okay?

Ron
Ron Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite