NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 56 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 22nd, 2004, 05:56 PM   #826
Major Player

To continue the story . . .

I sent the deck in to the Sony repair depot in New Jersey. It happens that the DV input had indeed failed. It will require replacement of an IC at $76 and $300 in labor.

Sony is not considering this a warranty repair, apparently, so I guess it's being put down to "abuse."

Moral of the story. Be careful with firewire I suppose.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:48 PM   #827
Regular Crew

Tommy:

YES you should be getting audio if you are sending back to the camera via firewire. Just make sure your camera is not confused or anything and that you are just using firewire and not the S-VHS cable. Who knows how the electronics in the camera may read multiple cables!!!!

In any event, if you transferred to your computer with Firewire and received sound - your project should transfer back to your computer via the same firewire connection. As long as FCP took control of your camera and recorded the audio should be there! If not you may have a problem with your camera.

Please double check all your connections and the preferences when you set up for your transfer. Something may be unchecked so to speak. But to answer your question.... YES you should be getting audio during your firewire transfer back to your camera.
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 08:21 AM   #828
New Boot

Exporting Flash in AE

Anyone know the best way to export an AE Project to the smallest possible Flash file? I have a 12 second intro I would like to put on our website, but the smallest flash file I can make without too much quality loss is 8megs. I would love it to be close to 1 meg if at all possible!
Jason Epperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 04:39 PM   #829
Major Player

Funky DVD playback

Just burned the first DVD on my G5 (burned fast, no real problems). It plays back fine on a normal DVD player but it plays back really funky on my laptop (Dell, Win 2k). It seems to be running in fast motion with fast, poppy audio.

Other than getting a new DVD player for my laptop is this some setting I can change in burning my DVD? I currently use best quality.

The other option would be a different disk. This one was burned on a Verbatim (printable). I could try and Apple disk and see if it makes a difference.

I'm going to be using this for teaching so getting it to play on a laptop if fairly important.

Thanks.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:04 PM   #830
Warden

Does your laptop play DVD-R's? Depending on the age of the computer it can be an issue. Is the software DVD player the most up to date, latest version? Can you try the disk on other windows machines to see if it is specific to your laptop or not?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:32 AM   #831
Major Player

I suspect it may be the age of this laptop. Right now I don't have access to another to test it out in.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2004, 12:28 PM   #832
Regular Crew

Out of sync video

How strange! This morning, the video for a doc I'm working on is now out of sync. And increasingly so as it progresses.

HOWEVER, the QT file is in perfect sync; and I know that I"ve looked at these clips before and they were in sync.

What's the problem? How can I solve it?

Thanks,
elmer lang
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2004, 02:52 PM   #833

Can someone tell me what graphics card I need on the Mac?

Hi,

I'm getting a mac G5 for editing HD 1080p, very possibly uncompressed video. Sooner or later I'll be doing special effects work. I'll also be working with a HD monitor 23" or 30" from apple. Do I need something as big and bad as a Radeon 9800 XT? What's necessary for this type of work? Am I okay with the built-in 64 bit card?

Thanks!
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2004, 05:25 PM   #834
Warden

Nobody can say what type of video card may be needed for a (yet to be announced) 30" Cinema Display.

These are the requirements for the 23":

System requirements

The Apple Cinema HD Display requires Mac OS X v10.1.3 or Mac OS 9.2.2 or later, and one of the following systems:

Power Mac G5 with NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra or ATI Radeon 9600 Pro graphics card

Power Mac G4 with NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX, or GeForce4 Ti graphics card; or with an ATI Radeon 7500, 9000 Pro, or 9700 Pro graphics card

PowerBook G4 with a DVI port and an Apple DVI to ADC Adapter

A second display can be used with a Power Mac G4 computer via the DVI port on the NVIDIA GeForce4 MX, GeForce4 Titanium, ATI Radeon 7500, Radeon 9000 Pro graphics card and the Apple DVI to ADC Adapter.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2004, 06:00 PM   #835

Thanks Jeff!!!!!!!
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #836
New Boot

What is the size of the frame for Flash and what kind of video are you outputting (lots of movement, animation, etc)? Does this project have an audio track? What settings are you using now for export and what size are you getting?

If I know that I might be able to help you shrink it down.

--pete
Pete Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 04:51 AM   #837
RED Problem Solver

Go for the most bad assed card you ca get - it will run Motion a lot better, and also give you a bit more real time in FCP (which uses openGl accelleration for a little bit of it's work).

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 08:28 AM   #838
New Boot

This flash size is 600 x 300 and there is not a lot of movement with images. Just some clouds rolling over top of a church. Majority of movement comes from the text...flying in from different angles to spell out Calvary Christian church. It does not contain audio.

The only option in AE6 I had to export a flash animation was a quality setting between 1 and 10, and I chose "1" which gave me a file size of 8mg.

Also, the project is 10 seconds long. Hope this info is sufficient...I should probably just learn to use Flash, exporting in AE just seems to be so much more simple! Plus, I know how to use AE.

-EPP
Jason Epperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2004, 08:43 PM   #839
New Boot

Mac to Camera to Monitor Question

I know I'm being daft, but I can't seem to figure out how to get FCP timeline display to show on my 8" Sony external monitor.
I've got firewire out of my Dual 450 G4 to my old Sony TRV-8 camera, then S-Video from the camera to my Sony 8" PVM 8045Q monitor - Yet it's just a blue screen. (Blue screen in my camera too)
When I "Print to Tape" from FCP it does show in the monitor (and camera too). However, I want to be able to view the clips in the monitor while I'm editing, not just while printing to tape.
I know I'm missing an obvious, glaring set-up step, so if somone can point that out, I'd be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tripp
Tripp Stapleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2004, 09:06 PM   #840
Major Player

Tripp,

Go to View-->Video and select Firewire.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite