NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 49 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 2nd, 2004, 06:37 PM   #721
Warden

This topic was covered recently, so do a search on iBook and edit and you should have a variety of opinions to choose from. But your satisfaction will really depend on your level of expectations. For me, the iBook is a little to slow and the screen, a tad too small. However, some users are very happy editing on the run with an iBook. Try to get to an Apple Store and give one a trial run.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:59 PM   #722
Major Player

twas a bit early when i wrote that. Obvioulsy Danny devito will be golem.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 09:20 PM   #723
Inner Circle

Are you trying to edit divX in FCP?
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2004, 02:05 AM   #724
Major Player

just trying to get something small enough to sit on the hd for now.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 07:02 AM   #725
Regular Crew

How do i connect TV to my iMac G4

hi

please can someone tell me how to connect my TV to my iMac G4, Final Cut Pro 4.

Many Thanks!
Gavin Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2004, 07:43 AM   #726
Warden

You can connect your camera via FireWire, then connect your camera's AV outs to the AV ins on the TV.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old June 3rd, 2004, 08:20 AM   #727
Regular Crew

Gavin Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2004, 01:49 PM   #728
New Boot

Problems importing FCP AAF into AVID

My company has been running tests of the best way to get Final Cut Pro sequences into AVID Symphony systems for online. We are running Final Cut Pro HD on various systems. We did a test of the CMX-2600 EDL's and they still seem to have the various problems that they had in the past. In the apst, while we were using Final Cut Pro 3.0 we used Automatic Duck to export OMF files, which seemed to work fairly well, though usually required a little finessing of the final project. Now I would like to use the AAF Export plug in, but on our test we ran into issues.

We were trying to get the AAF to go into an AVID Symphony for Online, but the symphony wouldn't recognize the AAF file, and wouldn't open it at all. I am wondering if this is a Mac to PC file convertion issue. I have heard that AVID Xpress Pro imports FCP AAF files perfectly, but do not have Xpress Pro to test this. If this works we can use one Xpress Pro system to convert our AAF files over to AVID sequences, and u! se that sequence to ONLINE on the symphony.

Does anyone else have any experience with this, or have tried getting AAF's into AVID systems
Old June 3rd, 2004, 03:01 PM   #729
Inner Circle

Last time I tried divX does not edit easily in FCP.

Your best bet is probably DV, which is 13GB/hour. I don't know how to rip a DVD into DV though.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:05 PM   #730
Regular Crew

Adding 2nd HD to G5 1.8 Dual

Which is the best recommendable internal hard drive I can install as a 2nd drive for capturing (storing) video of FCP4 on the G5 1.8 Dual?
I know it has to be a ATA, also i'm looking for the biggest HD out there.
Is it 160 for an internal one?
Should I just get an exact replica of the original HD in the G5? Where will I get the best price and service?
Thanks any suggestions appreciated.
Ray Echevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2004, 05:56 AM   #731
Major Player

DSR-11 FireWire Failure

The FireWire interface of my DSR-11 seems to have failed. It had been working fine for months and then just suddenly stopped. Still functions as a VTR, however.

The failure happened after an upgrade to system 10.3.4.

What happens is this. When the DSR-11 is plugged into the firewire port and I look for it in the firewire bus with system profiler I see "No information found." as if the whole bus was missing. When I unplug the DSR-11 the FireWire bus reappears, albeit empty.

Same thing happens, unfortuately, when I plug the deck into my G4 of PowerBook G4 with system 10.3.3, so it looks like it's the deck.

What I'd like to know is what caused the failure. Someone the Apple FCP fourm suggested the upgrade might have caused it if the deck was on during the upgrade. We have had some close lighting strikes in recent weeks (but have a whole-house surge protector). Can't understand why it would just stop working.

Fortunately, the deck is still under warranty. Anyone have any troubleshooting ideas before I call Sony?
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2004, 07:01 AM   #732
Warden

Was the deck on during the upgrade?

Old June 4th, 2004, 07:06 AM   #733
Major Player

I can't remember if it was on or not.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2004, 07:16 AM   #734

A few general questions about FCP HD before I buy it

Hi,

I'm thinking about this new FCP HD on a dual 2 gig G5. I'm currently used to editing on a PC with a Matrox Digisuite LE (SD system-yes, nothing but problems). I can't handle it anymore, and want to change platforms to something stable.

I've got some general questions about FCP HD. How much does it do in real time. When I work on my Digisuite, all effects and transitions are rendered. Color correction is rendered, etc. But to make general cuts and basic edits (including fades in and out and fading from one clip to another), it does all this in real time so there's no rendering, which would be great when the system is working . . . ahem.

Anyway, I can handle doing fx and transitions with rendering, but how about color correction? Is it real time. How about cuts/general edits and fades in and out and one clip to the next? I know some systems have to render a selection ever time you want to preview it. FCP HD is not like this is it?

Also, I've heard FCP HD tends to run slowly sometimes. Are there bugs in it because it's a new program?

I'm just tired of problems and would like something stable. Could someone give me just a few pluses and minuses of this new product?

THANKS!!!
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2004, 08:31 AM   #735
Regular Crew

mac compatable DLT drive.

I am looking for a mac compatable DLT drive. I have a powermac G4 dual 867. I need it to send a master copy to a DVD replication house. I noticed that most DLT drives connect via SCSI. what do i need to connect it to my mac?
Alfred Tomaszewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite