NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 52 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 10th, 2004, 02:06 PM   #766
Warden

When you elect to "burn" in Toast there is a box to enter the number of copies you want. You can also save your project in Toast and open it at a later time to make more copies.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 02:17 PM   #767
Warden

Click on your Desk Top. Hold down the Apple Key and the "F" key, the Find window will open. Check only the drive name you captured your media to. In the first pull down, set it to Date Modified. Set the next pull down (going across) to today (or the day of the capture). Set the third pull down (under the first) to visibility, and the last to visible and invisible items. Click search. In several seconds the names of all the files from that date will appear. The media files may have been temp files and have odd names. You should be able to open them with QuickTime to verify the contents. Import the files into your new project.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old June 10th, 2004, 02:59 PM   #768
Major Player

I can't thankyou enough Jeff...
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2004, 04:18 PM   #769
Warden

Glad I could help.

Old June 10th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #770
Major Player

MPEG-2 importing

I've gotten myself into a bit of a pickle. I backed up about 9 small projects onto a data-DVD as Final Cut files for use later. Unfortunately, in a total lack of intelligence, I didn't save them as self-contained files, and therefore can't retrieve the projects. Fortunately, I burned a video-DVD with the different projects in iDVD. My goal is to "rip" my projects out of the DVD to be properly archived.
I've purchased Quicktime MPEG-2 and imported the video_ts files, but all I can retrieve is the video with no audio. I know there has to be a way to get my audio back as well, but don't know how. Does anyone have suggestions or recommendations?
Old June 11th, 2004, 07:18 AM   #771
Major Player

i knew there had to be a better way..just couldnt find it in Toast help.
thanks
Gary Chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 12:10 PM   #772
Major Player

Quicktime ready to add AVC codec

http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/3366831

The company said the technology, known as MPEG-4 part 10 or H.264/AVC, is the next-generation video compression technology in the MPEG-4 standard. Already ratified by both the ITU and ISO MPEG, Frank Casanova, Apple Senior Director, QuickTime Product Marketing, told internetnews.com that the company is pole-positioning the improvements as the standard for video encoding for everything from 3G to High Definition (HD) broadcast.

"We took the basic recipe and we're now testing it internally on our campus in Cupertino, Casanova said. "We're not shipping it yet. It's not a question of 'if', only a matter of 'when.'"

Earlier this year, Apple demonstrated MPEG-4 part 10 showing content encoded at full HD resolution (1920x1080 24 frames progressive) and played back between 6.8 and 8 Mbps on one of Apple's current dual-processor computers. The company suggests that H.264/AVC is the likely successor to MPEG-2, which is still the industry standard.

That's impressive. 1080P @ less than DVD bitrates. The encoding is going to be a bear though at 8x the power needed for MPEG2. However the results are amazing. Apple previewed trailers in AVC at NAB 2004 and I hear they looked excellent.

Licensing of AVC is more expensive than WM9 but you have the safety of a standards body so you know things will stay static.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 01:59 PM   #773
New Boot

Panning Stills with FCP?

Is there an easy way to pan and/or zoom stills using FCP? I have done it with Premier, but can't seem to find how to do the same with FCP. I basically have several high-res photos (JPG) that I would like to pan and zoom during my video. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am using FCP 4.5 HD with OSX 10.3

Thanks!

Jim
Jim Pruett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #774
Major Player

AVC is also part of the new HD-DVD mandatory supported codecs: http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,116471,pg,1,RSS,RSS,00.asp
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 02:14 PM   #775
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Sloan : AVC is also part of the new HD-DVD mandatory supported codecs: http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,116471,pg,1,RSS,RSS,00.asp -->>>

Yes Mark. AVC is the huge behomoth codec that consumers have no idea about yet. In fact there are many who think the only efficient HD codec is Microsofts WM9(aka VC9 which has provisional HD-DVD support as well).

I'm expecting that the recent talk concerning Quicktime is a build up to WWDC the end of this month. I expect to see QT7 announced along with OSX 10.4.

Final Cut Pro is simply not going to be able to grow in some areas without a revamping of the core which is Quicktime. Things to look for are going to better MPEG2 support and more than stereo audio input in QT. I think we'll see Final Cut Pro 5 next NAB with a bunch of new features granted by its synching with QT7

I also imagine that we'll have the choice to take HD or HDV video and transcode to Pixlet or AVC quite easily.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 02:28 PM   #776
Warden

I use Photo to Movie and export as a Quicktime.

Old June 11th, 2004, 02:38 PM   #777
New Boot

Thanks Jeff, but are you telling me that FCP cannot do something as simple as this? So, I need to spend $50 to achieve this?

Thanks,

Jim
Jim Pruett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2004, 02:40 PM   #778
Major Player

You could try:
http://www.macdesktops.com/
Old June 11th, 2004, 02:43 PM   #779
Major Player

It is a good idea to have all your media files on a seperate drive. The problem is that if you move project media files around then your project won't be able to find them. It registers their file paths so if you move them you'll get a bunch of missing clips error messages. Use the built in media manager if you want to save yourself a headache.

Probably the best thing to do is simply start all new projects on the new drive. Just finish your current projects where they are, archive them and move on. You may want to adjust your FCP preferences as well so it saves temp files and captures to the new drive by default.
Old June 11th, 2004, 07:45 PM   #780
Major Player

after effects does this really well adn simply - but it's a little more than $50.

As for FCP - I'm almost positive there's a way, but sorry, I can't think of it right now.
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite