NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 63 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 8th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #931
Warden

I've never tried it with iDVD, so you might want to try a short test file. But i don't think that will work. You need to import the media in to iDVD so it can be encoded in to MPEG2.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 12:21 PM   #932
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff,

I am new to the DVD prep/burning. In FCP how do I save project (what format in export do I use) so everything is as is, in FCP. I am probably not explaining this right. But how does iDVD know the arrangement of project , with out the FCP doc.

Ron
Ron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 01:40 PM   #933
Regular Crew

Hi Ron:

You can take your finished project from FILE, EXPORT to "Quicktime Movie" and use that file in iDVD. Do not use "Quicktime Conversion" because you will not get the same results.

I made a iDVD DVD with 3 edited sequences (3 different FCP projects) - 1 for the actual video which was the DVD presentation, 1 specified video that plays on the DVD when inserted to the player and finally one as an opening sequence montage which is played on the menu page. Each sequence was exported out of Final Cut Pro using Quicktime Movie and then simply inserted (by dragging it) into the iDVD theme of my choice. By using export to quicktime movie, iDVD knew exactly what the format was and all I did was place the right sequence in the right folder and iDVD did the rest.

I hope this has answered your questions. Just be sure to render everything then save your project. If you wish to copy it to a videotape, you should PRINT TO VIDEO.... the menu will walk you through everything.

Good luck!
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 01:49 PM   #934
Regular Crew

Thanks for your help Rick

Ron
Ron Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 01:53 PM   #935
Regular Crew

No problem Ron... Let us know how this works out for you.
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 08:27 PM   #936
Regular Crew

RAID set up with USB 2.0?

Please forgive me I am still learning about my mac. My question is: Are there any benefits to setting up a RAID system when using my internal HD and an external USB 2.0(Western Digital 7200 80 gig). I use Premiere 6.5 on my internal. If there are no benefits should I run my scratch disk options to the internal or external HD. I dont use a lot of special effects. I do want to optimize my rendering times. Big surprise huh. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Ryan McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 10:30 PM   #937
Warden

What computer? What OS? How much ram? How many drives and what type?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 12:49 AM   #938

Thanks guys. Got it working. Everything cool.
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 09:52 AM   #939
Major Player

Depending on the type of RAID I'd be leary of including my applications drive as part of the array (versus using two drives for projects). It also might be worth poking around on the internet to see if USB 2 is a good choice for this. While USB 2 and firewire have similar speeds in theory they are optimized for different types of data streams. My direct experience with the two is that USB 2 is slower than firewire for file copies on my Mac G5.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 11:24 AM   #940
Major Player

Can you even do a RAID between a USB 2.0 drive and an internal drive? The speed of USB 2.0 will be much slower than your internal drive so RAID would actually be slower than just using your internal drive. This is a Mac site but it has some speeds:
http://www.barefeats.com/usb2.html

See the note about Windows speeds being better. But still, the speed would be slower than most internal drives.
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 06:13 PM   #941
Regular Crew

I have an Imac superdrive G4 1.25 with 768 on the ram and I am running Panther. I did some checking on Mac help and they said you could raid your internal if it was OS Extended HFS format. I couldnt set it up as a raid set unless I ran disk utility from the boot disk of osx. I thought that USB might be slower. Im just looking for a little more speed and faster rendering with Premier 6.5. I guess I will just capture to the USB, and run my previews and projects form the Application on the internal hard drive. Thanks for the replies.
Ryan McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 11:32 PM   #942
Major Player

Increasing your ram may help speed rendering time but in many cases it will be a function of your processor, not your hard disk.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 07:25 AM   #943
Regular Crew

check out digital juice jumpback, they have a sports package that might help. $249 per box, not to bad on the price.
Old July 12th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #944
Regular Crew

I use some of their jumback wedding stuff. I will probably have to use that for some of the backgrounds since I can't find any transitions. Thanks!
Brandon Payte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 02:42 PM   #945
New Boot

Log and capture

Whenever I capture a large clip, more than 8 minutes, when I play it back in the viewer I get loud beeping sounds. The same kind of beeps you get when you need to render something. I don't know why this happens and have no reference to look up what the problem is. It's driving me crazy. Does anyone know why this is happening? Please help.
Tyler Spiers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite