DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 1st, 2004, 08:27 AM   #1051
RED Code Chef

You would at least need software that would support this. I'm on
the PC where I believe Nero does this. Not sure about the Mac.
Would this be for a onetime thing or do you want to do this more
often? A duplication station might be a better way to go then?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2004, 11:17 AM   #1052
RED Code Chef

I'm not sure. But if you have a friend with a PC you should be
able to convert the ASF footage to something you can read like
QuickTime if he has QT installed and a program that can read
the file (like Vegas).

How large is the file? Otherwise someone here might be able
to do it for you (myself included).

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:36 AM   #1053
New Boot

Thanks Rob! I do have a PC at work. I'll see if I can work it out on this end. Pretty funny footage actually. It's like " Okay smile! Dang, out of memory, hold on..." Hehe. It's just wierd reaching for another button to take hi-res stills...
Dave Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 11:48 AM   #1054
Trustee

Titles in LiveType look like crap?

Hi,

Does anyone know when rendered type from Livetype looks jagged? It doesn't look aliased at all.

I'm editing HDV footage, so the footage looks great. But, the titles look horrible.

Any idea?

Thank you!!

Murph
Old August 3rd, 2004, 12:15 PM   #1055
Tourist

Editing on FCP 4 with DVX-100 and DAT... HELP!!

I am working on a feature that I filmed on a DVX-100A in the 24p advanced mode (3:2) and recorded sound externally to DAT. The DAT was run at 29.97fps. Using FCP 4 I will be editing my video footage at 23.98fps.

My question is, which of the following is the best workflow solution:

1. Use FCP's "log and capture" to remove the 2:3:3:2 pulldown then sync sound.

2. Log and capture footage at 29.97, sync sound, THEN reverse telecine to remove the pulldown using Cinema Tools.

I am extremely worried about losing sync with my sound in the conversion. Also, what is the best way to finish so that I can preserve my 24p cut to keep my options open in regards to *maybe* printing to film.

Any and all advice regarding these systems will be exremely helpful. Thanks!
Todd Makurath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 04:46 PM   #1056
New Boot

Importing Quicktime File

Help!!! I created a quicktime file and imported into FCX. When I inserted the clip into the timeline, the audo was missing except for a repeating beep.

Am I missing something simple? Can I either silence the beep or restore the original sound?

Thanks.
Steve Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 04:54 PM   #1057
Regular Crew

Lacie Big Disk Extreme

I'm thinking about purchasing a 320GB Lacie Big Disk Extreme to use for backing up my video files. I tried searching for some reviews on the web but couldn't find any. Does anyone whose used it have any comments on it?

Thanks
Deniz Turkmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 04:54 PM   #1058
Regular Crew

The beeping means that the audio needs to be rendered. You should see a red line at the top of the timeline indicating as such.

Render the audio and see if the beeping goes away.
Mike Hanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 04:54 PM   #1059
New Boot

analog to digital conversion

Anyone have an easy/effective method or workflow to move content currently on Beta SP into FCP (while maintaining quality image and audio)?

If this exists elsewhere in the forums, please feel free to redirect me.

thx t
Old August 3rd, 2004, 05:12 PM   #1060
Wrangler

FCP is a little strange with Quicktime files sometimes and I don't understand it myself. FCP files are really just Quicktime movies. But I was capturing a bunch of clips in FCPjust yesterday, which I saved using the "save clip" command. Then when I tried to play one of these files back immediately afterwards I got the beeping you described. I checked its properties and my settings were all correct. So I closed the file, and tried dragging its icon to the browser which added it to the clip list. When I opened it by double-clicking in the browser it was fine, no more beeps. Strange.

So anyway, you might try what I did. But Steve is correct in that for some reason FCE wants you to render the audio. This might be necessary for a number of reasons depending on its format. Create a new sequence, drop the Quicktime clip to it and render. That should fix the problem regardless of the source.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 05:34 PM   #1061
DVCreators.Net

Hi Chris,

I might be able to help you as the folks here at DVcreators.net just spent the last couple of months creating a LiveType tutorial DVD-ROM.

Couple of questions:

Does the Rendered Output look bad on your NTSC monitor?

Or just in your Viewer/Canvas?

How are you outputting from LiveType?
Are you using File>Render Movie?

Or are you dragging and dropping the document icon from LiveType to the FCP timeline?

What are your Project Properties set at in LiveType ?

Do your FCP titles look good?
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:43 PM   #1062
New Boot

Thank you. I will attempt to render the quicktime file and I'll let you know the results.
Steve Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:21 AM   #1063
New Boot

Anamorphic editing

I shot a short on a DVX 100 in anamorphic. I log and captured all my clips and then edited my short toghether. Then I tried to make the sequence anamorphic by switching on the anamorphic option in the browser. Now, on my camera it looks like it switched it to anamorphic but when I play it back on my television everything is stretched out. Does anyone know what the problem may be? I am pretty sure I'm doing everything right. I use Final Cut Pro three. Oh, and when I make my clip anamorphic before I lay it down in the timeline, it switches to widescreen.
Tyler Spiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:51 AM   #1064
Regular Crew

I have the 250 gig unit and with the PCMI card (firewire 800), it is simply mahvelous...quick, accurate and it sure takes a load off the computer drive...
Frank Meek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2004, 03:23 AM   #1065

Is my "Capture Now" not working on FCP?

I just got a brand new g5 with fcp. I was in a hurry to get a project out, so I read the quick tutorial book and started off (I'll get to the manuals when i can). Coulnd't quite seem to get the Batch Capture going right (probably something i did). So I decided to just do "capture now" on this first project. The book says that capture now will last for 30 minutes then shut off and you must make a new file. But when I hit capture now, it doesn't get far at all, say 3 minutes at the m ost, and then it stops, repositions some frames, and captures some more stuff. Sometimes this goes on for a bit and i capture pretty much what. Most of the time I have to babysit the thing becasue I know it's going to stop working at any time and I'll have to start capturing were it left off.

Is this a common problem? or is i tpossible my camera (vx-1000) is just getting old and the heads in it have a hard time reading the track on the video tape (thus leading to the code line breaking and the computer gets stumped?) I think the footage I'm using was shot on an older tape too. (Erased over the first tape with other footage). Perhaps this makes for drops in time code. Not sure.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Laurence
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite