NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 2nd, 2004, 02:07 PM   #31
Inner Circle

The motion controls render faster than the widescreen filter. Use the widescreen filter as a guide to get the right numbers.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 03:46 PM   #32
Major Player

Right, but it came out before FCP 4 so there needed to be some work to allow FCE features to better match FCP features. Also, any .0. especially 1.0 software is bound to have some key missing features (that they didn't know were missing 'til people complained!).

I'm actually more curious what iDVD 4 will bring (VBR encoding?), as well as iPhoto 3 (better album control?). From what I've heard about iMovie 3.5 it isn't a great deal different but they would need to do something in order to keep it compatible with FCE.

Of course, Chris is right. In an earlier thread he pointed out that those under a NDA won't say and those that say don't know. Having done beta-testing I know that isn't entirely true but it mostly is.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 11:21 PM   #33
MPS Digital Studios

Storage recommendations for SD and HD?

I'm moving towards a nice online FCP set-up, but I'm trying to figure out storage right now.

A friend going HD soon (now editing SD) recommends Huge Systems.

Medea?

XServe?

Thanks,

heath
Old January 3rd, 2004, 12:07 PM   #34
Regular Crew

So does cropping give the same results as using the filter? The final film is to be viewed on television (via DVD).

If so, does anyone happen to have the numbers for 1.78:1 (16:9)?
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2004, 12:11 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Hopefully there'll be a free download to upgrade from 1.1 to 2 - won't there... :(
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2004, 12:18 PM   #36
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Rob Lohman has a page that'll answer your question. You can find it here.
Old January 3rd, 2004, 02:25 PM   #37
Major Player

Macrumors (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/...01012408.shtml) reports that the upgrade to version 2 will cost $99.99. That seems a bit high to me considering the original just came out less than a year ago and the full version only costs $299.99. Either way, I'm curious to see the upgrades.
Old January 4th, 2004, 03:58 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Compressor can't connect to "Background Process".

Compressor is broken for me. Version 1.1 along with Final Cut Pro 4.0. But I am using Compressor as a stand alone program (or attempting to). Quicktime 6.5, by the way. Oh! Almost forgot: Dual 1Ghz G4 with the mirrored drive doors. It's got 1GB of Samsung RAM straight from Apple. Also if this matters I removed the mirrored drive doors so I can eject the disc trays whenever I want, just like a PC. Whooops!... You'll need this info as well: Mac OS X 10.2.8. And don't forget, I'm 30 years old and I am still version 1.0. I'm sure all of these things combine to form this glitch. Sorry if all that wasn't enough info. :)

Anyway when I press "Submit" in Compressor, it says "Cannot Connect to Background Process". If I try to use a Droplet, the Submit button is greyed out. What is a background process? Should I kick my computer? That usually helps with other things. :)
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2004, 12:15 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Try searching the knowledge base at Apple. I'm sure this is a common problem. The knowledge base is a great resource if you are getting a unique error message.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93234 <-- I think I found it in like 20 seconds.
Old January 4th, 2004, 08:27 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help!

I've reinstalled all of the software on the same hard drive, and it works!

Thanks,

C. Cook
Old January 4th, 2004, 09:43 PM   #41
Major Player

nice system

you said you were considering go with a real nice final cut sys. I'm thinking about that to. I was wondering exactly what would that system consist of, AJA IO or cine wave rt or Auora Ignigter. Just wondering

Torrey C. Harris
Old January 4th, 2004, 09:58 PM   #42
Inner Circle

The cinewave I believe is the only card that gives meaningful real-time acceleration.

The other cards have their own codecs which can reduce storage needs. They are online codecs in the sense that they are (virtually) lossless at low compression ratios. see codecs.onerivermedia.net.

I don't have any experience with setting up online systems so take that info with a grain of salt.
Old January 5th, 2004, 01:03 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Still hoping for some help on photo resolution issues...

Thanks for the help so far guys but a few questions left...

I am dealing with about 100 photos all about 2272 x 1704 resolution. They were given to me that way. For the time being, I decided to do any panning/zooming in FCP3 because I've found it easier to cut it to music that way...(so far, in AE5.5 I have found that I can import audio but that it doesn't play unless I specifically go to Composition->Preview->Audio and then only the audio plays, not the visuals along with it).

Here's my problem:

Even with their high resolution, when I bring these .jpgs into the viewer, their quality drops just a tiny bit but its noticeable. When I drag them into the timeline/Canvas, the quality becomes even worse.

Whether or not I render them in the timeline, it doesn't seem to matter. The pictures just look terrible.

I thought it might be that they're in .jpg format (compressed) so I tried one as a .tiff but that didn't help. Is this an issue of adjusting the resolution to be proportional to 720x480?

Please help; until this is fixed, I cannot finished my project.

In case you need to know, I'm running on a dual 1.42ghz g4 mac with 1 gig of RAM, a 160 gig Media HD (unpartitioned but solely for media with the 80 gig stock for OSX and software installs) and FCP 3.0.4.

Thanks,

Joshua
Joshua Kopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 06:57 AM   #44
Warden

You will want to look at this tutorial and this site in general. There are plenty of tips and tricks you may find helpful in your project.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 01:00 PM   #45
MPS Digital Studios

I've used CineWave in both Mac and PC and found them to be basically garbage. We have to constantly re-start the cards, fix settings, etc. It's such a nightmare compared to even AJA Kona SD cards, which I've really never had problems with.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite