DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 6th, 2004, 12:27 AM   #46
MPS Digital Studios

DV to SD...

I'm planning on saving some cashola and shoot my next film on the DVX100 (or any other 24p DV camera that may come out). Do I need to capture the footage uncompressed and upres it to 4:2:2 to edit, etc., then go to 35 mm film? Is it necessary to go to SD?

heath
Old January 6th, 2004, 04:58 AM   #47
Regular Crew

WHat would anyone here recommend for my new G5 Dual 1.8?

Bought this with a 250 installed and now want another drive of similar size?

Thanks P
Old January 6th, 2004, 05:44 AM   #48
RED Problem Solver

I think you've got to capture it DV to do the pulldown removal. Then it would be least strain on your system to edit it DV and then convert to uncompressed to output to whatever format - will they take it on firewire drives, or do you need to dump out to DigiBeta?

For chroma-uprezzing, you can take a look at the one I have in my Film Effects package which is quite a bit better than the Apple one and has a great degree of control.

For converting the whole seq to uncompressed, can you just go into the timeline settings and change the codec?

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 06:53 AM   #49
Warden

G5's support the larger drives. Any SATA drive will work. You'll have a choice of several brands. I've had good luck with the Western Digitals.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 07:07 AM   #50

Anybody going to Macworld San Francisco?

Just want to send out an invitation to anyone who may be attending Macworld San Francisco this week. Stop by the Canon booth and say hello! I'll be in the Canon booth and Dan will be on the show floor producing some cool Final Cut Pro related events.
http://www.macworldexpo.com/macworld...x.cvn?ID=10364

On Wednesday night, January 7th, the FCPUG Network will host a fun evening at the Mezzanine with a theme of "FCP 4: From DV to HD", featuring Sean Cullen who was First Assistant Editor to Walter Murch on the film "Cold Mountain" http://www.apple.com/pro/film/murch
http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/cold_mountain

Looking forward to meeting some new faces at the show!

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 07:15 AM   #51
Major Player

Edit Suite/Equipment....

Looking into beefing up my current set-up.

At present, i have a sony portable deck, old school g4, premiere, AE etc and a consumer tv.

Looking at getting pssibly a G5, Final Cut Pro and a production monitor etc..

I mostly do my own captures of dv/dvcam cam/deck and edit out for tvc/corp videos etc. But i'd like to spend money on something that is expandable if needed...

Do i need another card for the g5?

Which Pro monitor is best bang for buck 4:3/16:9 switchable?

My budget is probably gonna start about 5K. Any recommendations?
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 09:01 AM   #52
MPS Digital Studios

I just want to be able to go to 35 mm.

heath
Old January 6th, 2004, 01:30 PM   #53
Inner Circle

IBM, Western Digital, and Seagate seem to be the top brands right now. The IBM SATA drives seem to be a top performer right now, but maybe not for video (see http://www.storagereview.com). Promax recommends IBM drives because they have had a good recent track record in terms of reliability. Keep in mind IBM has had its fair share of disasters (the desk/deathstar line of HDs). Seagate also make pretty reliable drives and they are the quietest. WD makes good drives too, and have 3yr warranties on some lines where other manufacturers don't.

Maxtor doesn't have a good reputation in terms of reliability.

In terms of performance on applications and OS, check out storagereview.com. WD makes the best performing PATA drives and hitachi for SATA drives. 8MB buffer gives about a 30% boost with applications. For video work, I think all brands are pretty close. http://www.barefeats.com has some extra benchmarks (look at the sustained transfar rates in particular). Larger drives will give better performance and are better for video. The more storage you have the better. Once you run out of storage you are in trouble. And you can use the extra space to archive old projects, so the extra capacity isn't wasted.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 04:04 PM   #54
Major Player

Final Cut Express 2

Apple's new products are up on the website. Final Cut Express 2 is up here http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/.
Old January 6th, 2004, 06:34 PM   #55
Wrangler

LaCie Electron Blue IV, and Blue Eye Calibrator Questions

This isn't quite a "video" editing question yet I felt compelled to ask it on a Mac forum beings LaCie seems to be popular amugst Mac folk.

Just got my LaCie Electron Blue IV 22" tonight- have a few questions:

1. Should the monitor hood have two velcro fasters on the middle/top peice of the hood? Mine doesn't- it only has the two on either side.

2. Does it come with only 1 cd which contains the PDF manuals for both the 17" and 22" models including the ICC profile for each? I ask becase in the quick install guide they display a LaCie "Color CD" being inserted...is that the same thing or am I missing this CD.

3. Do you "have" to use both the Lacie INF *and* ICC profile. When I was installing the INF file so my computer would list more than just "Plug n Play monitor" it specifically asked for the ICC file. Why would a monitor INF "need" the ICC. Aren't they two completly different things. The INF tells the computer what kind of monitor is connected and the ICC is a monitor/colorspace profile?!

Regarding the Blue Eye calibrator- would it help with non print work? I primarily do web graphic work.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 03:25 AM   #56
Regular Crew

Am not impressed with the new $99 upgrade to FCX 2.

Does not seem to be worth it.

If soundtrack is $299 and the upgrade is and extra $99 on top then I may as well pay and extra $200 on top of this and get Final Cut Pro for the $599 upgrade fee from FCX to FCP (assuming that soundtrack is worth having (it comes with FCP)

I might just do this! (maybe that is Apple's thinking too!!)

All a bit too clever.

Regards P
Old January 7th, 2004, 05:06 AM   #57
Regular Crew

The best items that come with FCP is LiveType and Compressor the best being LiveType. This one app is by far the best reason to get FCP as you have such control over a presentation.
Sharon Fraats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 05:30 AM   #58
Regular Crew

But compressor comes with DVD SP (which I have).

What does live Type do?

Regards P
Old January 7th, 2004, 06:10 AM   #59
Regular Crew

LiveType checkout Apples site and read about it. Did you ever see the text on the newscaster and the moving type this app can do that and more. Watch some of the QuickTime movies and see what it does.
Also you get full features of Color Correction and 24p editing.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/livetype.html
Sharon Fraats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:57 AM   #60
Major Player

Just got some quotes on some Sony Pro monitors... I was surprised to find that the 14inches are more expensive than the 20inch. Why so?

Considering the Sony BVM and PVM series.

??
Kevin Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite