Where do my custom modified filters live on the HD? (FCP7) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 20th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Where do my custom modified filters live on the HD? (FCP7)

I just bought a new MBP and was going to start fresh. The only thing keeping me from doing so rather than just transfering everything via migration assistant or time machine is that I have custom settings for my filters. I modified different stock filters as well as purchased filters for easy drop and dragging. I don't want to have to re-create those filters again.

Any idea what would be the easiest way to bring these over? Should I just do a time machine back up and clean everything up afterwards?

Thanks
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Found a work around here :

How2 Upgrade to Final Cut Pro 4 -- the Right Way! : Apple Final Cut Pro Tutorial

"•• Create a copy of your Favorites to get them to Final Cut Pro 4

Favorites are saved with Preferences. Final Cut Pro 4 will not share preferences from Final Cut Pro 3. Both applications retain their own preferences so they can continue to work in parallel. In order to make your Final Cut Pro 3 Favorites available for Final Cut Pro 4 you'll need to use this workaround.

Create a new Project in Final Cut Pro 3 and call it something like "Favorites Exchange". You'll need some Clips but in reality a Slug, a Gradient and something with audio will be fine. What you'll need depends on what Favorites you have.

Filters: Add all your favorite filters to one Clip. It can be in a Bin, the Browser or a Sequence, doesn't matter. If the Clip has audio it will take all your audio and video favorites.

Transitions: Alternate a Slug and a Gradient Clip in a Sequence and add one favorite transition each time they meet, until you've applied all your favorite transitions.

Motion Tab Settings: Add one motion tab setting to each Clip - those Clips in the sequence that you've used for your Transitions favorites would be good candidates. You can only have one set of Motion tab settings per Clip, and they're the most work to restore so only keep the ones you really need - but it's not that difficult.

Save the Project and you're done."

This seems much easier than digging around ;).
Randy Panado is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite