JVC Pro HD with FCP / FCE - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 9th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #76
Regular Crew

Thanks for the heads up. I dont own the mac. I would prefer to use Sony Vegas, would this work firewire, or no?
Matt Setnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #77
Inner Circle

That's a good question, I believe DV Rack HD2 for the PC will cover your needs. Whether Vegas likes the files recorded by DV Rack you'll need to research but as a waveform it should work fine. Also their web page is very vauge about HDV support. Make sure it plays nice with 720p30 HDV.

Once again we are still working within the technical constrictions imposed by the HDV format. There's a lot of processing work going on while the m2t stream is being converted to a frame editable format. Right now QuickTime and HDV have a difficult partnership, it getting better but still difficult. It works fine once the QuickTime wrapper is added but people still have problems with tape capture dropping footage at camera pauses. I use a FireStore and been happy with the results. Avid also has continuing problems getting their codecs to play nice.

If you have a traditional waveform monitor available, I suggest hooking that up to the composite out of the HD-100. A lot less hassle then another computer.
Old February 10th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #78
Major Player

JVC HD200 720p editing on FCP ???

has any one have any 1st hand exp on fcp to edit footage from a 720p recording off off a HD100/200/250 i am considering a buy of both hd200 & FCP ???
Old February 11th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #79
Major Player

what no one has an answer ............. :(
Old March 2nd, 2007, 11:26 AM   #80
Regular Crew

Hi Jain,

I have both the JVC GY-HD100U and FCP running on a quad G5, it captures just fine via the firewire connection. I am running into issues though with timecode breaks where I have a lot of power on/off's on my camera during a shoot and it breaks the time code whch TCP doesn't like. So, basically make sure you record several seconds before & after each of your shots. The other thing to consider, is that the JVC 200/250 is 60p capable, which FCP does not support right now in native HDV. My guess is that they'll have an update to FCP later this year (hopefully) to support 60p, but the work around now is to buy a Kona or Blackmagic interface and use the DVCProHD 60p codec in FCP. Otherwise, everything works fine between the JVC and FCP. Have fun!

Jeremy
Jeremy Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #81
Major Player

Hi Clark,

I finally have go my FCP machine. its a gr8 exp to feel the MAC power & look as aginst the WIN look I have been with for all my life,. FCP poses a tough learning curve as I went thru the tutorials etc.

My quick Q is can i also have a A.Premiere 6.5 or later to run MAC machine for simple editing ....

Any future suggsetions for learning up the MAC thingy,.....
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #82
Major Player

I know a fella that runs Prem 6.5 on his Mac .. not sure which one, but one of the older non-Intel models. He says it works fine. But if you are going to dive into FCP then go all the way .. using it for "simpler" jobs will help you along the learning curve

I jumped from Premiere to Mac nearly four years ago .. no regrets here
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 02:57 AM   #83
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankim Jain View Post
Hi Clark,

I finally have go my FCP machine. its a gr8 exp to feel the MAC power & look as aginst the WIN look I have been with for all my life,. FCP poses a tough learning curve as I went thru the tutorials etc.

My quick Q is can i also have a A.Premiere 6.5 or later to run MAC machine for simple editing ....
If you want something simple you could try iMovie. Stick with the tutorials though, you'll soon find it's not that hard to master FCP.
Liam Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #84
Regular Crew

FCP Capture Problems with JVC Pro HD?

I've been reading post from a year or so ago about the difficulty with FCP recognizing the ProHD stream resulting in lost video. Has there been any solution since then?
Jon Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #85
Regular Crew

When you say ProHD, do you mean the tape type? If so, then that is the tape I was using and having problems capturing in 24p and 30p hdv. There is still no direct answer to this problem. Tim Dashwood has posted the below help for a work around solution regarding capturing 24p and editing on a 24p timeline. He has another step after MPEGStreampclip if you need to convert the frame rate - the step is to do that in Cinema Tools, then go to FCP. I hope this answers your question.

The Cinema Tools portion of the workflow you referenced is for conforming 59.94fps (60P) down to 23.98fps (24P) for a slow-motion effect.

It sounds like you just want to capture footage shot at 720P24 and work in an uncompressed format.
NOTE: 23.98 (aka 23.976) is the frame rate of 24P. For all intents and purposes you will never use 24fps in your workflow...always 23.98.

It seems you have done everything correctly so far, but I'll backtrack a bit for the benefit of others in the same boat.

You captured m2t files from the tape using DVHSCap (or HDVxDV)
You opened those m2t files individually or as a batch in MPEGStreamclip
You exported those m2t files from MPEGStreamclip as Uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2 quicktime and specified a frame rate of 23.98 in the export pane.
You don't need Cinema Tools because this is already 23.98fps.
You imported the quicktime files into FCP and are ready to edit.
Now you need to create a new sequence that matches the specs of your source files.

Hit APPLE+N to create a new sequence. It doesn't matter what preset you use.
Select that sequence and use APPLE+0(zero) to open Sequence Settings. (New Sequence and Sequence Settings can also be found in the menus,)

Adjust the sequence settings so that they match your quicktime files.
Choose HDTV 720p (16x9) as your Aspect Ratio and 1280x720 will be automatically filled in.
Use "Square" as Pixel Aspect Ratio. DO NOT checkmark Anamorphic.
Set Field Dominance to "None"
Set Editing Timebase to 23.98
Set Compressor to Uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2

Click OK and you should now be able to use your quicktime files in this new sequence without any rendering required. I hope your hard drives are fast enough for uncompressed!

If you plan to use this workflow on a regular basis, you can create the above settings as a sequence preset in Audio/Video settings.
Sharon Pieczenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #86
Regular Crew

Oh and unless you want a really big file to work with don't use the Uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2. Use AIC or HDV codec. I learned the hard way. But you might already know this.
Sharon Pieczenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:42 AM   #87
Major Player

Color and JVC ProHD

Hello, so I've got this shiny Mac Pro with FC Studio 2 for testing. I can see that I still cannot capture 720p/25 HDV into Apple Intermediate, because the footage is then 50fps and therefore plays twice as fast (this has been discussed here before).

The question is: since Color cannot ingest HDV, how am I supposed to use it? What is the most straightforward workflow for JVC ProHD 25p and Color? I really hoped that this will be solved in FCP 6, but alas, it isn't. Thanks for any tips!
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #88
Regular Crew

You do not want to use HDV for multi-passes such as color correcting. Convert it to ProRes 422
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #89
Major Player

...with Compressor, I see. I guess you're right with HDV, I would just like to be given the possibility. DV PAL is 4:2:0 the same as HDV and is supported. All right then, thank you.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #90
Major Player

Just to be perfectly sure: is it just me or has anyone actually succeeded to capture ProHD 720p/25 footage directly into Apple Intermediate? I would like to lose that extra converting step in the workflow.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite