JVC Pro HD with FCP / FCE - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 15th, 2005, 12:35 PM   #16
Wrangler

By the way Dave, if you have 30P footage, then you don't need Lumiere or DVHS Cap. Just capture with the 720P30 HDV setting in Final Cut Pro.
It works fine with 720P30 (just not 720P24 or 25)
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 04:39 PM   #17
Wrangler

UPDATE!!! HDVxDV is now capable of digitizing and maintaining camera original timecode.

See this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...417#post383417
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 07:30 PM   #18
Major Player

New program to capture HDV from JVC 24p & Canon 24f into FCP. Try it.

This is a program which captures The Canon HDV 24f and other HDV output such as JVC into FCP, so they say.

http://www.hdvdxdv.com

I can't manage to get it to capture, but apparently other people have had success with it on the Canon, JVC and other HDV cameras.

Please try it and report your successes and failures. I don't want to wait for Apple to cough up their codec for the Canon.

best

Harry
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 03:45 AM   #19
Wrangler

I think you mean http://www.hdvxdv.com

It isn't new, but does a good job at capture m2t streams. It even will remove the pulldown from HD100 720P24 footage, but I haven't tested it with a XLH1.
Old February 16th, 2006, 03:07 AM   #20
Tourist

Problems capturing with Final Cut HD

I have severe problems capturing the footage (720p/25) to Final Cut HD, despite it being the most recent version. Is there any way I can do it? Final Cut HD is unfortunately the only program I have to work on. Most cameras work fine but but the JVC HD100 doesn't get recognized. What can I do? Please help.

Many Thanks!
Uwe Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 03:28 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Moore
I have severe problems capturing the footage (720p/25) to Final Cut HD, despite it being the most recent version. Is there any way I can do it? Final Cut HD is unfortunately the only program I have to work on. Most cameras work fine but but the JVC HD100 doesn't get recognized. What can I do? Please help.

Many Thanks!
fcp5 will only capture and edit 720p/30 natively.
Maurice Jolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 03:48 AM   #22
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Jolly
fcp5 will only capture and edit 720p/30 natively.
However, I recorded in 720p/25. What do I need to do in order to edit the footage? A different program or is plug-in sufficient?
Old February 16th, 2006, 04:02 AM   #23
Regular Crew

there are plug-ins that will work. hdvxdv and lumiere are two that i know of that will allow you to edit, i think. don't quote me on this.
Maurice Jolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 04:13 AM   #24
Wrangler

Uwe,

The above responses are correct, FCP 5.0.4 does not support 720P25 natively yet. However, have no fear because there are fairly painless solutions.

Not alot of people are shooting 720P25, so it hasn't really been discussed around here too much. However, read these threads that describe workflows for 720P24.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=56015

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=57357

I would suggest using DVHSCap (part of Apple's Firewire SDK) to capture 720P25 from the camera, via firewire, into "m2t" files. You could also try HDVxDV, but I'm not sure how well it works with 25P.
Then use MPEGStreamClip to convert the m2t streams into usable quicktime files using the Apple Intermediate Codec. Now, the 720P25 stream will actually have 50fps, with every frame "doubled." You can either create a 1280x720, square pixel, 25fps sequence to edit (but each clip will have to be rendered because the duplicate frames are deleted) or a 50fps sequence to edit in realtime.

The other option is Lumiere HD 1.6b6, which should work fine with 720P25. It costs $179.

*Please note that I have never tested 720P25 workflows myself.
Old February 16th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #25
Tourist

That sounds good. It's a shame these programs cost so much money. Are there any other editing programs that allow me to capture 720/25? Please let me know as I then might capture it using different programs and then use my Final Cut HD to edit the footage. Does that sound do-able?
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #26
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Moore
It's a shame these programs cost so much money.
DVHSCap and MPEGStreamclip are free. I would imagine that for 720P25, they would work quite well for you. I only mentioned HDVxDV and Lumiere HD so that you were aware of all of the options. However, after spending over $6000 on a camera, $1500 on editing software, and $3000+ on computer hardware, I wouldn't consider $80 or $179 very expensive.
Old February 17th, 2006, 02:58 AM   #27
Tourist

JVC GY-HD101E with Final Cut Pro or ExpressHD

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and has been eager to get my own JVC GY-HD100U or JVC GY-HD101E for PAL version which is the standard in my country - Singapore.

However, I have some major concern after reading some of the post here and elsewhere, mainly for the fact that I wonder if Final Cut Pro can edit the footage with ease.

I know that 24p is not possible at the moment, only 30p is possible, however I am using PAL frame rate of 25 fps, that means it is 25p, this setup is not found on my Final Cut Express HD, only 30p is available.

Is anyone out there using PAL version of the camera and edit with Final Cut Pro or Express HD encounter any problem digitising the footage? I hope I do not have to resort to using third party software to do this.

Please advise, thanks

Ken
Ken Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 06:17 AM   #28
Tourist

Lumiere HD?

Thank you for your help. I'm considering buying Lumiere HD to cature from the JVC GY HD100 HDV-Camera, editing the footage on FCP5. Is there anything I need to look out for or make sure before purchasing the software? I just want to make sure I don't make an investment which doesn't work out again...

Also, I read that for 720/25 Lumiere HD does not support HD output from Final Cut Pro into HDV MPEG-2 Transport Stream and transfers back to HDV cameras.

So my question is: what options are there for me to play out my material? The reason being that I'm planning to make a blow up on 35mm and I need top HDV quality to give to the laboratory. Might an external hardrive be an option??

Many thanks for your help.
Old February 27th, 2006, 12:51 AM   #29
Regular Crew

'pal' from down under

Hi Ken,

I recieved my HD101 a couple of weeks ago on a friday evening, did a crash course on camera operation via reading the instruction book (had never used a camera before) - took my first footage of the kids beating each other up on the saturday afternoon in 720p 30 fps and headed off for a shoot on the Sunday morning to a Volcano here in the Nth Island of New Zealand.

Over the last couple of nights I have been doing batch captures and editing the footage mixing it with animations I have created in 3DSmax etc. I am a PC man at heart but have been using FCP HD to do the final work and gotta say...........what a great bit of software and all I am using is a basic e-mac. I couldnt believe how well it has worked with the camera - I hooked it up via firewire and it worked straight away without any problems.

I am about to try some editing some clips in 25 fps so will keep you posted.

So far I would recommend the combination.
Sam Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 12:56 AM   #30
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Chan
I know that 24p is not possible at the moment, only 30p is possible, however I am using PAL frame rate of 25 fps, that means it is 25p, this setup is not found on my Final Cut Express HD, only 30p is available.
TRY setting the frame rate to 25.0 and let us know.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite