JVC Pro HD with FCP / FCE - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 31st, 2007, 02:36 PM   #91
Major Player

JVC HD110U + FCP6, anyone find a fix for importing breaks?

I have the 110U, and FCS2. I am so tired of FCP breaking my tapes up into separate clips. Yes I uncheck make new file on break, yes my camera has a supposed firmware update.

Unlike the masses, I hate having each individual clip in my bin. I want 1 tape to be 1 clip, with a simple start/stop detection with markers.

Anyone have a work around?

Or should I just get rid of this camera and get anew one.
Jim Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 03:33 PM   #92
Major Player

Hi Jim.

If it's irritating you that much, I would probably do the capturing outside of FCP (using free software).

If you capture with DVHSCap, you should be able to capture the whole tape in one go. It will capture it as an .m2t file. You can then convert the entire tape (as an .m2t) into a Quicktime movie using MPEG Streamclip to transcode it into your codec of choice. AIC is an excellent codec for 720p footage, or you could even use ProRes as you have FCS2.

I've given the exact steps for this in this post:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....53&postcount=8

The example I've given is for 25p and AIC, but you can easily modify it for other frame rates and codecs.

If you want to improve your capturing with FCP, Tim Dashwood made a number of (fairly) recent posts isolating the factors which can cause mid-clip breaks (you can search in this forum and the Pro HD forum). One thing I've noticed that can improve results in a lot of cases (but not all) is to make sure that the hard drive you are capturing to is fast enough and has a lot of free space to write to.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 11:08 PM   #93
Major Player

Well, I dont have 6000 clips, but in the course of a wedding, lets say I am well into triple digits.

I have over 100 hours of footage to dump next week, all HDV from these hd110U cameras, I dont want that bin full of 6000 clips.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 01:40 AM   #94
Major Player

Jim, the only way to get one large clip is to digitize either component analog, SDI or HDMI. In other words get out of firewire.

If you have the BR-HD50 deck then you can digitize HDMI with the Black Magic Intensity card ($350) using the deck's RS-422 for deck control. This is what we do. We then transcode the HDV to ProRes but you can choose DVCPRO HD or AIC for smaller file sizes.

If you want the same workflow as DV then you need the deck and a Black Magic or AJA card. And a fast, huge hard drive like the LaCie Biggest S2S.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #95
Tourist

Unable to initialize video deck??? in Final cut with JVC GY hd 100

I am shooting with the JVC GY-HD100 in the video format HDV 720p30p. I tried to capture the footage to my G% final cut pro 5.1.4 editting system and I get the "Unable to initialize video deck..." I know its not the cord or the camera or the settings cause I just did the simple 720 30 p preset so it should work, but it doesn't wondering if any of you out there could help me out. thanks

-brett sorem
Brett Sorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #96
Wrangler

THe first thing to check is that the camera is in VTR mode. The red LED on the top should be lit.

You should then be able to 'refresh devices' in the view menu.

I assume you chose the 720p30 HDV easy setup in FCP. The HDV/DV switch on the camera should be in HDV position, but don't switch it while the camera is on and connected to the computer.

You should have deck control and the ability to mark in/out and batch capture.

If you get no response from the camera, then it is entirely possible you have fried the firewire board. You should quit FCP and use HDVxDV or DVHSCap to confirm if there is any communication with the camera.

See this post in the ProHD forum for more information on the proper procedure for connecting and disconnecting the firewire to the computer.
Old August 14th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #97
Tourist

got it

I just refreshed the device and it worked. I knew it was just something stupid cause I had some old dv60I footage that i was able to capture fine. thanks Tim for the help.go check out the trailer and the page for my first film at www.myspace.com/loaded_film thanks
Brett Sorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #98
Major Player

Sony V1U will Play my JVC HD110U footage, but wont import in FCP

I came across this on accident...

I was importing footage shot with a Sony V1U (nice little camera if I might ad) into FCP, nothing out of the ordinary. I grabbed a tape shot with my JVCHD110U and put it in the sony on accident ( I have been working late late hours, I was tired) and to my surprise the tape not only played on the cameras LCD, but I had audio. However, FCP would not recognize any footage. I could not see, or hear anything in the Capture window.

Seeing as the V1U is a rental right now, and the HD110U is in service ( again, and again...) is there a way to get the footage shot with the 110U to import into FCP? I tried a few different ways, the Sony see's the footage as 720P 30 and says so on the lcd, all attempts at an easy setup of Generic, AIC, 720P 30, HDV, Sony HDV, 1080i have not worked.

Is it not going to work? I have some footage I should have dumped before the camera went to service, but then again, I am working real late and forgot.

Any ideas?
Old September 20th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #99
Inner Circle

Sorry, Sony HDV cameras will play 720p footage from JVC HD cameras only thru the analog outputs. no FireWire.
Old October 5th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #100
Major Player

GY-HD100 and FCS2 capture

I have really hard time figure out this. I was trying to capture footage from my last shot. This is the first time I am using the camera as a deck (I had an access to a deck before, not anymore). Anyway, FCP would not communicate at first with the camera. I check and rechecked. In the capture settings I was using 720/30p and "firewire HDV" as the connection. I was able to start capturing through "HDV intermediate apple codec". After a couple of clips I was able to capture in regular HDV setting.
First of all what is HDV intermediate apple codec? second- looks I have to render all the footage captured in this setting? Third- which one is better as far as quality? Fourth- why my computer did not want to communicate with the deck at first?
Sorry for a lot of silly questions.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #101
New Boot

I'm having a problem capturing HDV 24p footage from my JVC GY-HD200 into FCP 6 on my Macbook Pro.

When I let FC log and capture the footage automatically, it crops several seconds off the beginning of every clip. I changed my pre and post roll settings, but it hasn't made the slightest difference. I don't want to have to go through the tape manually marking my in and out points, but right now that's all I can do to ensure I get complete takes. Is there anything I can do to remedy this, or am I going to have to pre-roll 8 seconds of tape before every shot I get in the field, (which isn't always possible, or practical)?
Brendan Fisher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite