NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2007 - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 13th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #166
Tourist

downconverted 24f in FCP 6

I’ve been having a rather difficult time trying to find the correct way to capture my 24f material into FCP. I shot HDV 24f and want to down convert using the camera (XH-A1) to DV 24f into FCP 6. I know how to capture straight HDV 24f using the preset in FCP, however my workflow requires me to down convert from the camera. When I try it now my footage doesn’t play smoothly or match frame to frame when compared to the same footage captured in HDV. Has anyone had experience doing this? Is there an “Easy Setup” option in FCP 6 that I should be using? I’m assuming it’s a frame rate setup problem. I need to know what preset I should be capturing with and what preset setting my Timeline should be at. I don’t see any other threads discussing the workflow for down converting HDV 24f with FCP 6. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Javier Marcheselli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #167
Major Player

PAR folders

Hi all,

I noticed Final Cut creates PAR folders in various places.. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on what this folder is used for??

Thanks,
Mike M.
Old July 15th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #168
Tourist

Explode Effect in FCP

I have recently purchased a new mac pro system with FCP 5.
in the video transitions the effect (Explode) does not do what I imagined
as would have thought it would breakup and reveal the picture B underneath
can any body help

regards Andrew masters
Andrew Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #169
Regular Crew

HDV capturing

Sine I can't get the 5.1.4 update for some reason... Are there any good third part capturing solutions that I could use to capture 24fps HDV video? I just don't think I can afford to get Final Cut 2 yet.
Bryce Olejniczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #170
Major Player

Working w/Waveform on FCP Timeline

I'm trying to sync clips on the timeline using their waveforms in the audio tracks. The clip names keep covering up the bits of waveform that I need to use to sync. Is there a way to hide the clip names or some other technique? It's never been a problem in Premiere Pro, I'm hoping that there is a simple thing I'm missing here in FCP.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #171
New Boot

Compressor-QMaster issues - Reinstall?

Setup: MacBookPro 3gigsRam, External FW400 drive, FCS 2 with 6.0.1 update

I was using Compressor to create a .m2v from a .mov file. After submitting the job, it just hung. I paused the job, and it wouldn't pause. I cancelled the job and it wouldn't cancel. I exited Compressor and restarted the computer. When submitting a new job, the old job was still there trying to cancel. Tried to pause it with no luck. I exited Compressor and deleted the .prefs. Same scenario. I then deleted the .prefs for QMaster.

Now QMaster will not start unless I start it from the terminal. Whenever submitting a job to Compressor, it asks me to reboot and check my Compressor installation.

Sounds like a Compressor reinstall to me. What is the best way to do this to make sure my "old, stalled" job will be erased and I can use Compressor again? (This affects "Print to Video" and other functions of FCP as well.)

Thanks a bunch!
TG
Terry Griffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #172
Regular Crew

Print to Video Problem with FCP and 24p SD

I have had this issue before and never found out how to correct it, so I am hopeful someone on this board will!

I shot footage in 24p, 16:9 anamorphic with my Canon XL2. I captured it with all the setting matching the above info and the laid it out in my timeline and everything worked just fine.

When I went to "print to video" back to my deck, the audio played and was recorded but the video did not appear. I tried the same thing going directly back into my XL2 and same problem. When I scrub in the timeline, the video shows up on my deck, but if I play it in my timeline, only audio?

Never have this problem with 60i or 30p, only 24p:(

Also, why is it that my 24p footage has the interlaced look after capturing? Does this have to do with the reverse pull-down? I wasn't aware I would have this issue when capturing in progressive mode. I can de-interlace it before exporting, but seems weird that I have to do this???
Jae Staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #173
Regular Crew

I am capturing with Mpeg Streamclip....sometimes I forget to adjust the framerate to 29.97. I plan to make a dvd later. Will it matter that some of the clips aren't captured to 29.97?

Will the FCE or Toast convert everything to 29.97 or do I need to correct that step with all clips right now?

Thanks in advance.
Tobin
Tobin Strickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 09:42 AM   #174
Regular Crew

Retiming audio in motion?

I'm trying to set a variable speed to a clip with both video and audio. The motion manual says this at page 1136:

"Motion allows you to retime audio clips or individual channels to speed them up, slow them down, or play them back at a different speed. All of the controls below can apply either to a stereo audio clip, or individual channels.
Note: When retiming video, audio attached to the footage is automatically retimed along with it. You can unlink video and audio to retime them separately. For more information on retiming footage, see “Retiming” on page 312."

However when I set Time remap to variable speed and change the speed curve, only the video is affected, audio remains unchanged.

Does anyone know if this is possible with Motion? I'm using Motion 3.
Thanks, Winfried

Last edited by Winfried Dobbe; July 22nd, 2007 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention version of Motion
Winfried Dobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 05:13 AM   #175
Major Player

Why brighter picture when timeline is running?

Hi,
I run FCP 5.1.4 and would like to know why the picture on the Digital Cinema Desktop Preview shifts lighter when the timeline is running compared to when the time is stopped?

Which picture is the most correct one?

Sequence is HDV 1080p25.

Thankful for any answer. /Johan
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 01:57 PM   #176
Regular Crew

FCP Print to Tape and 24p

Im about to undergo outputing an 80min film to mini dv using final cut. Its 23.98 on the timeline. Ill be using an XL2 but have access to a dvx100. Can someone please walk me through this. For example, should I make a new quicktime movie of the project or print to video straight from the ediitng timeline?
Mark Errante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #177
Tourist

capturing HDV 1080p25 in FCP5.1.4 from Sony V1E

Hi there,

I'm pulling my hair out here, I have shot in 25p on a V1E, but whenever I capture into FCP the footage appears as 'HDV 1080i50'. I realise that the 25p stream is stored and streamed as 50i, but how can I get it back to 25p in FCP??!?!

Been googling for an hour now and not found a solution!!! I am using the following video settings:
sequence preset: HDV - 1080p25
capture preset: HDV
device control preset: HDV FireWire 25 fps

Thanks -

Kieran.
Kieran Tyrrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #178
New Boot

Final Cut import FAILURE... What happened?

After updating my JVC GY-HD100A and double checking my firmware to be sure I did the procedure correctly, Final Cut has stopped importing footage successfully.

Here's the basic scenario: Before updating my camera's VTR, I could plug in the firewire cable, power-up the camera, open FCP and the camera would be detected. I used the sequence preset: "HDV- 720p24", Capture Preset: "HDV", and I believe the Device Control Preset was set to "HDV Firewire NDF". Watching the camera's LCD, I could import footage, though it would stop importing each time the start/stop button was pressed. What was strange about this setup was that pressing "Log/Capture" would initiate essentially a "capture now" window, prompting me to title the clip and see a full-res window of the video as it imported. The process of importing was tedious, but it worked.

Now, today when I try to capture, one of two things happens. In the first scenario, the camera is recognized and I can enter the actual "Log/Capture" window only to import 23.98 footage in which the video is completely black but retains sound. In this scenario, the Capture Preset is set to "HDV".

In the second scenario, I tried setting Capture Preset to "HDV-Apple Intermediate Codec", which was only SOMEWHAT successful. Here, video is imported successfully but changes from 24p to 59.94fps. The difference in this second scenario is that I can see a full-screen preview of the video being imported and that window REMAINS open when scene breaks pass in through it. Where those scene breaks occurred in the preview, they enter the bin as segmented clips without any loss of video.

I'm completely dumbfounded. I have no idea why Final Cut would suddenly stop me from being able to capture 24p video. I'm using a 1.67ghz Powerbook g4 with 1.5gigs of RAM and using Final Cut Pro 5.1.4. I know this setup is not ideal nor terribly fast, but until I updated my camera, I experienced no significant trouble importing footage.

Any help in solving this problem is greatly appreciated. Also, the greater the detail in your description of the Final Cut setup, the better.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Matt Ecklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #179
New Boot

FCP 5.1.4 doesnt open his own project

I was workin gin a final cut 5.1.4 with different projects at the same time, one in a 1080 50i settup and the other 1080 60i mixing thins in the time line and rendering a lot, but one day the project in 60i didnt open , fcp showed a message sawing tha the project was unreadable and probably too new for this final cut, but the project was created by this very same final cut.

I figure its some kind of a bug maybe...?

does anyone has any idea of how i can access my project? i already tryed the autosave version...

thanks a lot for the help and attention.

CD
Carla Dutra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #180
Regular Crew

FC Express gets no signal from Mbox 2

I'm working with a 1Ghz dual CPU G4 with a recent version of Tiger that has Final Cut Express 3.5 and an Mbox 2 audio interface, connected to a powered USB hub.

I don't have the option of connecting the MBox 2 directly. The audio is coming to the Mbox from a mixer board in the next room via spdif or XLR (can't recall which)

I'd like to use the FCE voice-over feature, but FCE see no signal coming out of the Mbox 2. The funny thing is that
1) FCE lists the Mbox 2 on the list of sources you can select
2) Pro Tools LE sees the signal just fine on the same machine.

The simple obvious solution is to use PT LE, but I'm trying to make the workflow as easy as possible even though PT is the better tool.

As far as I can tell this G4 has no analog audio input.

How might I most simply and cheaply fix this problem?

Some people have suggested looking for new drivers for the Mbox 2 but I haven't been able to find any.

Shayne Weyker
http://weykervideo.com
Shayne Weyker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite