NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2007 - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 16th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #106
Major Player

JES Deinterlacer outputting 655x480 instead of 720x480. Help?

I don't know what the deal is here. I was testing JES Deinterlacer as an alternate to Cinema Tools for doing reverse telecine on film telecined to DV tapes. Not only does JES figure out the cadence on its own, but the image actually looked better in some cases.

Unfortunately, instead of outputting 720x480, it was giving me 655x480 with square pixels. I can take these into Quicktime Pro and fix each clip, but it's one more step that I don't think I should need to take and my guess is that there's a better way than that.

I read through the manuals, went into Preferences and tried all combinations of settings for “use input clip” under aspect ratio and all that, but no matter what I try, I end up with a 655x480 clip with square pixels.

Anybody have a solution for me? Does anybody use JES to reverse telecine DV footage successfully?

Thanks
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #107
Major Player

hdv editing on imac intel 1.83ghz 2gb ram

anyone have experience editing hdv on imac intel 1.83 ghz using final cut studio 1? How's the performance? I know i'll need a more powerful solution for uncompressed but in the meantime this maybe my best bet. thanks
Amos Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #108
Inner Circle

mpeg2 Crash

I forgot if I asked this question here before.

When click on an MPEG2 file in the finder in any other view besides Icon the finder crashes. I'm running 10.3.9 with the latest updates on Dual 1.8ghz G5 PowerMac.

Is this a know problem associated with the OS or my hardware? Would an upgrade to 10.4 fix it? Has anyone else experienced it? I've suffered with this for long time and have just put up with it but would love to get rid of it if possible.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #109
New Boot

CC workflow between FCP and Combustion

I intend to color correct a project am cutting on FCP in combustion. I am exporting as a quick time reference so that I don't loose any quality or stack up multi generation compression. However, I am not sure what is the best way to export from combustion back into FCP in order to maintain 1:1 quality.
Original footage is 720p 25 DVCPRO HD shot on the Varicam.

Thanks!
Oliver Ojeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:06 PM   #110
Major Player

Subclip question

When you create subclips and have FCP create discreet media files from the subclips, will it maintain the original timecode offsets or does it re-set the TC to 00:00:00;00 at the start of each clip?

Now it is also claimed that defining subclips will improve performance when dealing with a large media file regardless of whether you create the separate media files or not. Is this indeed the case?

TIA!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:13 AM   #111
Regular Crew

HDV Multi clip not playing well in Canvas

I have a G5 with 3.5 of RAM and am experiencing some problems when editing 2 angles as I am doing the multi clip and it is playing back in the canvas it is not very clear/ I can still edit but it would really be nice to see what it is really going to look like.
Now on my 17 inch mac book pro no issue at all looks and works great.
Brandon
I would apperciate any advice on how I can take care of this issue
Brandon Potthoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:19 PM   #112
New Boot

URGENT -- DVCPRO HD pixel/frame size issues

I captured footage shot on the varicam with FCP 5.1.4 via the kona3 card under DVCPRO HD 60p compression/codec. The captured footage's resolution is 960x720, so in my timeline I either have to specify the HD 960x720 aspect ratio or keep it square but enable my 16:9 timeline option to get my footage to display right. I have been having lot of problems exporting from FCP to do post work in AE and combustion. The frame just doesn't export right and if it does, it looks very low-res in AE.
The music video's final master will be on digibeta, so I will be down-converting to SD.
I am running close to the delivery deadline, any help is greatly appreciated guys!

Thanks!
Oliver Ojeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:09 PM   #113
New Boot

Final Cut Studio 2 and Hv20

Has anyone tried pulling down 24p with FCS2? Does it work or is the same work around necessary?

Listed under tech specs:
"Pulldown tools for telecine insertion and removal"
"Native long GOP MPEG-2 editing for HDV, including 1080i 50/60, 1080p 24/25/30, 720p 24/25/30"
Jules Ruez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:45 AM   #114
Regular Crew

FCP with 1080p LCD TV (preview)

I'm using Sony's KDL-W2000 Full HD television to monitor Final Cut Pro thru DVI > HDMI connection. If I use 720p-mode (TV/Mac), FCP's Digital Cinema Desktop Preview looks quite good, but if Sony (and Mac) is set to 1080p, DCD Preview looks much worse. In both situations I'm editing 1080i50 HDV material. I have a dual G5/2.5 with ATI Radeon 9600 XT card.
It seems that the Preview mode in 720p looks de-interlaced (or otherwise smoother) but with 1080p the interlaced scan lines are very visible. What could be the reason for difference in quality between 1080p and 720p when viewing thru Digital Cinema Desktop full screen mode?
Poppe Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #115
Regular Crew

I can't see the image

hello
My camera sony hvr-a1u is connected to FCP and I can control it(from log and capture) but There is no image in the viewer window.
thank you
Martin Labelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #116
Regular Crew

SoundtrackPro (FCP Studio 5.1.4)

Hi:

I have just begun to experience a problem with SoundTrackPro's effects after sending a Final Cut multi-track project to the program. At first, all of the effects are visible and available on the left hand side of the window and work just fine but, after a period of time, they just disappear. That is, the main categories are visible but their contents are not! The only way that I have been able to make them available once again is to shut down the program and restart.

The entire program is loaded to the primary drive on a Mac G5 dual 2.7Ghz machine with 2gigs of Ram and plenty of remaining space on the HD. A 3TB Fiber Channel RAID is defined as the scratch disk ... any suggestions???

Final Cut Studio 2 has just arrived and loading it may resolve this issue but I am in the middle of a project and would prefer not to do so until it is complete.
Ron
Ronald Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #117
Major Player

Lost clips at edit/print to tape

Hi guys,

when printing my media to tape, the conforming process seems fine, I click OK at the end and the printing starts (little red dot appears on the LCD viewfinder, movie runs, etc)
Once finished - and everything looked fine - I rewind the tape and after a while video and sound disappears, blue screen only...
I FF and later parts are back again, then another blue screen coming.
FCP never reported any error during the printing process, the video was visible on the LCD all the time.

The movie was fully rendered out, grey lines only. I tried to use different Firewire connector on my Mac and also replaced the FW cable - same result, problem areas changed though - in the 2nd trial different parts were missing (so it is not clip related).

Has anyone experienced the same? Any workaround?

Its a Sony V1E, FCP 5.1.4 and a G5 dual 2Ghz ( I just installed FCP6 today, have not tried print to tape with it yet)

Thanks a lot.
Old May 27th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #118
New Boot

tips for projection screening

Hi,

I have a project that will be screened using a mid to high end projector (6000+ Lumens, native res. 1024x768).

I'm wondering what would be the best way to master for this kind of presentation.
-24P DVD
-Print to Tape
-QT Movie (Uncompressed)

The footage was shot in 24P and edited 23.98 in FCP. The footage is SD.

I would appreciate any advice or tips.

Thank you.

Ken
Ken Castellano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #119
Regular Crew

Working with Motion 2 files in Motion 3

Please beware! Existing Motion 2 files with any level of reasonable complexity work EXTREMELY SLOW or not at all in Motion3. A discussion with an Apple tech concluded that Motion3 handles movement and particle generation very differently and does not work well with old files.

Apple recommendation: render existing files in Motion2 for use as .mov clips in new FCP projects and rebuild composites from scratch in Motion3 for sequences that will need changes and frequent re-rendering.

NOT A GOOD THING!
Old June 4th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #120
New Boot

delete please

delete please

Last edited by Rafael Diaz; June 4th, 2007 at 08:27 AM.
Rafael Diaz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite