FPV: Monitor or Goggles at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old March 26th, 2014, 12:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FPV: Monitor or Goggles

Could you FPV guys weigh in on your preference, monitor or goggles; pros, cons, etc. Thank you
Jerry Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 01:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: FPV: Monitor or Goggles

Goggles are very dangerous if you are flying and monitoring at the same time. You don't want your camera's FOV to be the ONLY thing you can see, in my opinion.
Finn Yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 01:42 PM   #3
Major Player

I own both, and I use both depending on where I'm flying. In big open areas where there are no obstacles to hit, the goggles are great. But if I'm flying a bit lower to the ground or there are trees in the area, I use the monitor so I can see my quadcopter as well as the FPV feed.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

There is a requirement in the UK to maintain LOS at all times, so if flying fpv with goggles, it's necessary to also have a spotter with you. That's not a problem for me, as I prefer to fly with a monitor so that I can keep an eye on the actual position of the quad. I also use the monitor mainly for framing shots, so am not interested in the sort of fpv that takes the quad a long way from LOS.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the responses. I was definitely thinking of having a spotter and having the option of taking a quick glance around myself. I probably will go the monitor route to start with. I already have a TV Logic monitor i use when shooting video. Will it work for me or are there special monitors just for this application? Thanks again.
Old March 26th, 2014, 08:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Davis View Post
Thanks for the responses. I was definitely thinking of having a spotter and having the option of taking a quick glance around myself. I probably will go the monitor route to start with. I already have a TV Logic monitor i use when shooting video. Will it work for me or are there special monitors just for this application? Thanks again.

No special requirements for monitors that I know of. Just need AV input for whatever receiver you plan to use.
Old March 26th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #7
Trustee

The downside to monitors is the reflection, also it can be a bit disorienting when you look up from the monitor expecting to see the MR and it isn't there.

Goggles are all immersion, its like a video game but if you suffer from motion sickness it might not work for you. It takes a little getting used too..
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 06:29 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Interesting thread---I've been wondering the same thing. DSLRPros.com claims on their website that 95% of video producers using RC copters use a monitor, and only use goggles for those rare shots when they want to fly through something (like an arch).

My biggest concern with using a monitor is obviously sunlight. I've been in MANY situations shooting outdoors where I couldn't see a thing on the screen (on a variety of different monitors).

Obviously some sort of monitor hood can help...but I haven't seen a single video (yet) of a remote drone pilot using a monitor hood. I'd consider it essential.

For this reason I'm also interested in researching monitors to find the absolutely brightest, sharpest one out there. I think it would be worth spending the money (I'm thinking, for example, an OLED monitor would be good, if one exists?)

Scott

EDIT: A quick Google search resulted in this company, who sells OLED monitors in 7-9" sizes. As I suspected, they aren't cheap ($1K-$2500)...but I still think if you're serious about drone videography, this would be a must over some cheap, not-very-bright monitor.
http://www.smallhd.com/products/ac7/
Scott Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 07:13 AM   #9
Regular Crew

scott, i have a tv logic monitor that i've never used outside. i guess today is the day to try it out. i'll get back.
Old March 29th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Yes Jerry---let us know how that works!

The way I figure it, for any aerial university video we shoot is going to be done only on sunny, blue-sky days. Aside from just looking better, that gives the best-quality image with a GoPro.

I can't tell you how many times I've been shooting video with my DSLR and didn't have an LCD viewfinder attached (like a Zacuto) and I went nuts trying to frame shots and follow action...just generally a pain. So I'd hate to have "visual friction" like that when flying a drone! :-)

Scott
Scott Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 09:28 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Yes Jerry---let us know how that works!

The way I figure it, for any aerial university video we shoot is going to be done only on sunny, blue-sky days. Aside from just looking better, that gives the best-quality image with a GoPro.

Scott
So far I am finding that the best results with my Phantom & GoPro footage with a gimbal is in the golden hour or so before sunset (and I suspect at sunrise as well) A snag with any rolling shutter camera is the jello of course. And I found the higher shutter speed the GoPro must have used gave loads more jello and the footage while very sharp and bright did not look anything like as good as the shots done later in the day. I have yet to invest in FPV but can see glare on the monitor being a big issue. While for me with glasses and a complex prescription- goggles are out of the question I think.

bill
Bill Sherren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I use a simple card screen hood that I made up and attached to the 7" monitor. By using it close to my face, I get a pretty good shaded screen image even on a sunny day.

Jello is often a problem on the GoPro on bright sunny days, the easiest way round it being to attach a ND filter to slow down the shutter speed.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
I use a simple card screen hood that I made up and attached to the 7" monitor. By using it close to my face, I get a pretty good shaded screen image even on a sunny day.

Jello is often a problem on the GoPro on bright sunny days, the easiest way round it being to attach a ND filter to slow down the shutter speed.

Roger
I was wondering why I was getting jello on bright days! That never occurred to me.

Can you recommend any ND filters that can be attached directly to the lens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sherren View Post
While for me with glasses and a complex prescription- goggles are out of the question I think.

bill
FYI, if you are near sighted, you can buy an additional diopter lens for Fatshark goggles.
Old March 29th, 2014, 07:42 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Usually it's lower shutter speed that makes jello worse, since the readout from the sensor is happening more slowly, giving the frame more time to change before the readout is complete ... is the GoPro different for some reason?
Finn Yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn Yarbrough View Post
Usually it's lower shutter speed that makes jello worse, since the readout from the sensor is happening more slowly, giving the frame more time to change before the readout is complete ... is the GoPro different for some reason?
I'm not sure but I've noticed it too, it only happens when the camera is pointing directly into the sun
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras