FPV: Monitor or Goggles - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old March 30th, 2014, 12:38 AM   #16
Slash Rules!

Re: FPV: Monitor or Goggles

I didn't realize the goggles were a thing that actually "took off". . .remember hearing about them some time ago but thought it was maybe one of those products that died out quickly.

So how are they?

I don't do any aerial stuff at all, so not a concern there, but I DO shoots where the cam is above me (cause I'm short, yo) on a tripod, making me have to look up to watch the LCD (no monitor for me yet). Also just did a drag racing shoot (NOT ON THE TRACK!), which was brutal cause I was shooting INTO The sun the whole day (nothing I could do, we could only set up in a certain area and obviously where the track was oriented couldn't be changed), doing 180 degree pans right past the sun. Something like goggles might have been nice for those.

So for situations like that, are they a viable solution? I don't have motion sickness issues that I know of (The universe's way of compensating for me being allergic to just about everything else I guess).
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn Yarbrough View Post
Usually it's lower shutter speed that makes jello worse, since the readout from the sensor is happening more slowly, giving the frame more time to change before the readout is complete ... is the GoPro different for some reason?
You are quite right technically Finn, but the jello on the quad is usually caused by high frequency vibration, so on a bright day, the higer shutter speed will freeze the vibrations in a way that a slower shutter speed won't. So adding the ND filter will slow down the shutter speed, allowing the high frequency vibrations to be more blurred and less noticeable. Unless you are using a very high frame rate, there will always be a little bit of blur in images from a moving video camera, which is not noticeable when viewing the moving image, so slowing the shutter speed in this case, will help reduce the jello in bright light without noticeing the slight increase in blurring. If you don't notice it on footage on duller days, then you won't notice it by stopping down with an ND filter on bright days.

Also a higher frame rate will improve the jello effect, whereas a lower frame rate will make it worse. Here is a link to a company supplying filters for the GoPro, although they are pretty easy to make from a cheaper DLSR filter and a cutter.
"Frame" Neutral Density Glass Filter-GoPro Hero3 - GoPro - Polar Pro Filters

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 10:39 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks for the continued great information Roger. I think we're getting close to pulling the trigger on buying a Phantom...and I've decided to just go with a Phantom 2 full kit from DSLRPros.com:
DJI Phantom 2 | Sundance DP Edition P2 Aerial Kit - DSLRPros | DSLR Rigs|Products|Dslrpros.com
This kit includes the newer H3-3D gimbal. I figure the kit will save me some time (which is precious!) with integrating/assembling everything.

The only other option I considered---which seems cheaper but *might* be better, is this F550 Hexrotor kit from Helipal.com...
DJI Sale DJI F550 V2.1 w/ NAZA V2 Flight Controller (RTF) - HeliPal
That kit is $999 (with Tx and Rx), so you'd also have to add the gimbal, GoPro, and an FPV system---but I think you could add all of that and still come out spending less than the DSLRPros Phantom 2 kit.

Roger and others---if anyone thinks the F550 hex (all DJI components) would be a much better purchase than the Phantom 2 quad, let me know (I'm kinda waffling between the two).

Scott
Scott Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 01:50 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Thanks for the continued great information Roger. I think we're getting close to pulling the trigger on buying a Phantom...and I've decided to just go with a Phantom 2 full kit from DSLRPros.com:
DJI Phantom 2 | Sundance DP Edition P2 Aerial Kit - DSLRPros | DSLR Rigs|Products|Dslrpros.com
This kit includes the newer H3-3D gimbal. I figure the kit will save me some time (which is precious!) with integrating/assembling everything.

The only other option I considered---which seems cheaper but *might* be better, is this F550 Hexrotor kit from Helipal.com...
DJI Sale DJI F550 V2.1 w/ NAZA V2 Flight Controller (RTF) - HeliPal
That kit is $999 (with Tx and Rx), so you'd also have to add the gimbal, GoPro, and an FPV system---but I think you could add all of that and still come out spending less than the DSLRPros Phantom 2 kit.

Roger and others---if anyone thinks the F550 hex (all DJI components) would be a much better purchase than the Phantom 2 quad, let me know (I'm kinda waffling between the two).

Scott
I actually purchased an F550 kit to replace my Phantom yesterday. I did so for a few reasons:

- It has a 2.3kg payload, so you can carry much bigger batteries, gimbals and cameras.
- It is a lot more stable in the wind than the Phantom, which I see as a big benefit.
- If you crash, you usually just have to replace a couple of arms (very cheap).
- Being a hexacopter, if you pair it with the Wookong controller you can lose a motor and still continue to fly.

I plan to buy the new 3-axis Zenmuse gimbal when it comes out, so I'll post up some test footage when I can.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 02:57 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks Jody—those are all compelling arguments in favor of the F550. I'd like to study the supposed advantages of the DSLRPros kit more to see what---if anything---would be lost by going with the F550?

For example, DSLRPros claim that they have set up the programming in the Futaba Tx to provide much smoother, slower tilting and panning...but I don't know if that's something easily done with any programmable transmitter?

The DSLRPro kit also comes with things like prop guards (not sure how necessary those are when flying outdoors?) and carbon fiber props (again, do those really help much?). So it's entirely possible the DSLRPro kit might really just be overpriced for the basic system plus a bunch of little extras. I'll need to price out everything separately for the F550 and see how it compares.

Scott
Old April 10th, 2014, 05:02 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Hey Jodi, how is the F550 doing. I'm like Scott, on the fence re: the F550 vs Phantom?
Jerry Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #22
Major Player

Still waiting for it to arrive.. I'll keep you posted though, I'm expecting it next week.
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:25 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Great Jody, what camera and gimbel are you going to use?
Old April 11th, 2014, 10:11 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Just FYI, I sent this same question to Aerial Media Pros, just to get their take on it. They've been at NAB all week so I haven't expected to hear back from them 'til next week.

They sell packages for both the F550 and Phantom...and interestingly, they state on their website that the F550 is one of their most popular platforms and a good training platform (which suggests they don't think it's any different or harder to fly than a Phantom).

So while I've gotten the expense account "unlocked" for a purchase (and my trigger finger is itching!)...I'm in a holding pattern at the moment just waiting to hear back from Aerial Media Pros---not just to get their take on F550 or Phantom, but to see what kind of turnaround time would be involved if I buy a full package from them---they seem very backed-up at the moment, partly due to waiting on more Zenmuse 3D gimbals.

Scott
Old April 11th, 2014, 04:56 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
and interestingly, they state on their website that the F550 is one of their most popular platforms and a good training platform (which suggests they don't think it's any different or harder to fly than a Phantom).

Scott
I'd agree with this. The F550 will most likely use the same flight controller as the Phantom (NAZA M V2), so the flight characteristics will be very similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Davis View Post
Great Jody, what camera and gimbel are you going to use?
For now I plan to use the new Zenmuse 3-axis gimbal and a GoPro. But eventually I'd like to use a Sony NEX-5 or something similar.
Old April 11th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #26
Regular Crew

i've been reading about a lot of problems dealing with the gopro software...and i have an nex5. So that means a f550 is looking better, but more expensive gimbal wise. Maybe you, Jodi, can address the gopro software thing. I have final cut pro. would that negate having to use the gopro software?
Old April 11th, 2014, 11:29 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
i've been reading about a lot of problems dealing with the gopro software...and i have an nex5. So that means a f550 is looking better, but more expensive gimbal wise. Maybe you, Jodi, can address the gopro software thing. I have final cut pro. would that negate having to use the gopro software?
I personally only ever use the GoPro software to convert the native MP4 files to MOV which is a lot easier on my NLE.

FCP (and most decent editing software) should be able to handle the MP4 files straight off the GoPro, but I find my computer struggles with them whereas it flies through the MOV files.

So either way, the GoPro software isn't essential, it's just handy. And I haven't experienced any issues with it myself.
Old April 12th, 2014, 04:26 AM   #28
Inner Circle

I've never used the GoPro software, as installing it led to a problem with other software. Apparently this os not uncommon, as it moves a vital DLL to a different location which means that other programmes can't find it. I use Magix Movie Edit ProX6 which has no problem with GoPro footage.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Thank you guys very much. Excuse my ignorance but what is DLL? Is that a microsoft thing?
Old April 12th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Thank you guys very much. Excuse my ignorance but what is DLL? Is that a microsoft thing?
A .DLL file is a dynamic link library file. They are often shared files and an .exe file may search for a shared .dll as a programme loads. If a shared .dll has been moved by a programme such as the GoPro software for it's own use, some other programmes may fail to load or not run properly.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras