S-VHS and FS-3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old February 23rd, 2004, 01:33 PM   #1
Tourist

S-VHS and FS-3

Hi from Ireland.
(or "Top of the morning to ya" as the movies claim we say)

I have a Panasonic SuperCam (3 CCD with S-VHS out) and was thinking of upgrading to a Sony DSR 570.

However it seems that if i used a Camopus ADVC 100 or a Camopus 55 between tha camera and the PS-3, perhaps I could hold off on going digital.

The cost would be 6,000 euro less.

I use a Dell PC (1.7 mHz P4 with 512 mb ram) to edit. I have DC10plus capture card (has S-VHS in and out) to capture at the moment, thus buying a PS-3, ADVC-100 and a firewire card might be an alternative route.

I contacted Focus Enhancements and asked:

"Which Canopus ADVC converters are supported by PS-3. I have S-VHS camera and was hoping to us an ADVC to supply digital feed to PS-3. Can this be done?"

To which they kindly replied:

" See>>http://www.canopus.us/US/products/ADVC-100/pm_advc-100.asp
These units work great to convert analog to DV and vv."

what is "vv" ?

Anyway, I'm real excited about the PS-3. I hope it will save me time and money!!!

Anyone any thoughts on this?

Love this forum.

By the way, can anyone guide me on firewire cards or are they all the same?
Patrick Conroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 04:04 PM   #2
Focus Enhancements

Hi Patrick,

I am assuming that what was meant was:
"These units work great to convert analog to DV and vice versa." Sorry about that.

Matt McEwen
Focus Enhancements
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 04:20 AM   #3
Contributor

Hi Patrick,

I always thought that it was "top ‘o di morn te yu”

Any way, I just wanted to advise you about a small thing that caused me to raise my eyebrows when I got my Canopus ADVC-100. There is a bight yellow sticker on it that says "! Notice ! When you connect or remove the DV cable, please make sure the power of both the PC and This Product are off. This Product will be damaged because of a voltage surge. For details, please read the included notice.”

Apparently there is some danger of the device being killed by the voltage coming over the firewire cable. I called the company I bought the ADVC-100 from and they said that this can happen, but won’t always happen.

Other than this little detail- the ADVC-100 works well and is very compact. I just won’t connect it to my computer with a 6 pin firewire cable and there shouldn’t be a problem.

I hope I haven’t just messed up this thread.

Cheers,

DK

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore