Is there any computer on earth that can play HDV/.M2T files like DV/.AVI? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old December 12th, 2006, 06:29 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hse Kha
Do you realize that with Bob De-Interlacing you get not just 29.97 frames per second but also a resolution of only 1920x540 (half). Bob sucks big time...
Im not sure that is true with VLC - I loose no resolution and it appears to be doubling it from 50i to 50p not 25p
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hse Kha
7800GT - Awesome. Hardly any frames skipped. Just only on complex scenes.
7800GTX - Perfect. Can handle even complex scenes.
7800GTX 512 - Better than perfect :)
Have these boards been phased out? All I'm seeing at my local computer store are the 7900GT, 7900GTX, 8800GTS, and 8800GTX. These (later) graphics cards cost almost as much as an entire core 2 duo PC with 2 GB of ram. Which manufacturer makes the most reliable boards, BFG, Asus, or eVga?
Marc Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I have a nvidia 7600 gt. I cannot play cineform avi in VLC and mediaplayer shows a horrible flicker if I export in upper field first and a horrible faster motion (almost like a subtle fast forward) if I export in lower field first. I wish I knew what was going on.
William N Zarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
WOW - do you guys realize for over a year, I have been using WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER (latest versions) to play all my .M2T files. And it has always sucked!
Shannon, WinMedia player does play HD, that's not the problem. The problem is that it's a huge application, it takes up most of your computer resources just to run, let alone do anything at all. I am using Media Player Classic 6.4.9.0, a sweet little program you don't even need to install (no need for registry support), just put in on your desktop and run it from there, it plays almost everything including DVDs.
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #20
Wrangler

Guys, this thread is a year old. Most of the information in it is obsolete. Just to give a few examples...

There were no Intel Macs, they had just been announced at Macworld.

There was no XDCAM HD, they started shipping in late March.

There were no Core2 Duo processors, let alone quad core.

It's likely that the drivers for the graphics boards mentioned have been updated to address any shortcomings. But those boards have probably been superseded by now anyway which is why Marc can't find them.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #21

FWIW...

I'm running a core2 duo on an SLI enabled asus mobo. Playback of either m2t or cineform intermediate is seamless, glitchfree. i wouldn't go NEAR WMP with a ten foot boompole. I use Zoomplayer...fully configurable, a wee bit technical, but, that's what makes it great.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #22
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Guys, this thread is a year old. Most of the information in it is obsolete.
I think we're going to start limiting replies to threads that are less than a year old. Lately some real dinosaurs have been dredged up... I guess it shows that folks are using the Search function!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:12 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Time limiting will definitely help, go for it.

I saw the date as "yesterday" and did not check anything above that... sorry...
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Question

I have a P4 amd64 3000+(i think is the number hahah) and I have a gig of ram. and I havent had my A1u that long but I have been cutting my footy in Vegas 7 and exporting it out into quicktime movies and the footage looks great me. It plays fine on quicktime and and works good when i send it over the web. is this a wrong move to be exporting to quicktime everyone seems to be using Wmv, or Vlc to play there clip.

When im editing footage I dont seem to have to many problems with play back. Few that I have I tend to blame more on my hard drive that is has never been re formatted since I go this computer in 04.

here is a clip of some video I did for this scion dj event at a club, its very low light but is the quality how it is suppose to be

https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/dacole/p...v?uniq=-5hqrs2

Last edited by Darren Cole; January 24th, 2007 at 07:19 PM.
Darren Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
"You need a super computer"
"Your processor better have some gusto if you wanna play that 1080 HDV footage"
"In order to playback 720p HDV, you better have some real processing power"

we hear this time and time again.

Ok....tell me.....what computer can playback HDV footage without batting an eye?
Is it the Graphics card? is it the Processor? is it the RAM? is it the front side Bus?

What is it.....and more importanly...WHO IS IT? As of Monday January 16th, 2006, what computer can you go purchase this afternoon that will playback HDV .M2T files without sweat???

- ShannonRawls.com
I bought a cheapie Dell 520 a little over a year ago (under $650.00, Nov. 2005). It's a 3Ghz Pentium 4 with 1 Gig of memory, a cheapie Radeon card with 256 meg of memory. I use a Dell 2405 1920 x 1200 LCD monitor ($849.00)... more than the cost of the computer. The new Dell 2407 is a little cheaper now.

VLC player works just fine on my PC, but I usually just rename the M2T files to MPG so they play on Windows Media Player. I downloaded the latest version of WMP 11 and it works fine too.

VLC player is ok but does not have a counter or repeat which irritates me. Windows Media Player just plays them like any other file. There are no glitches with full 1920 x 1080/60i or 1080/24p, except for one about 1 to 2 seconds into the video. This is normal with most files except .wmv files. Nero Showtime also plays the files without a glitch.
Dave F. Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Playing .m2T files

Another a great thing you can do if you have a Firewire-enabled TV (and a Mac, even an old one - I use a G4 Mac Mini for this) is to use the FireWire SDK (the AVCBrowser and Virtual DVHS components) to play HiDef transport streams directly into the TV. Not for the faint-hearted and you need to be an Apple ADC member to get the software but the results are awesome. I've played both 720P and 1080i HDV originated .m2ts without a hitch (obviously the TV does the decoding (mine is a Sony XBR960 34" CRT).

The Lumiere plugin for FCP will let you export the .m2ts. or you can export a file that iMovie will swallow, then 'save as a file for camera later. You need to have an HDV camera plugged in and the file it creates, whilst missing the .m2t suffix, is good to go.
Paul Ramsbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:27 AM   #27

wmp is problemmatic. i've always used zoomplayer, which has now evolved to a very dependable and configurable freeware player. Zoomplayer will play native m2t video streams after you download ffdshow. If you install Zoomplayer, it will go out and get the codecs you need. Just my $.02.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #28
Regular Crew

I recently bought a 22" WS LCD that has both analog and DVI. I had connected the analog cable as my video card had the adapter already attached (I replaced a 19" LCD second head with the 22").

Attached to my ATi Radeon X800GTO, what's the advantage of DVI over analog, if any?
Paul Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #29
Trustee

Time limited threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
I think we're going to start limiting replies to threads that are less than a year old. Lately some real dinosaurs have been dredged up... I guess it shows that folks are using the Search function!
I have responded to a few old ones with out checking the date, but usually that was to say "thanks for the info" or something along those lines. But that obviously isn't an important comment so if it helps DVInfo.net run smoother / cleaner, then I'm all for it.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions