Dark output - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old July 13th, 2005, 10:03 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quick Note!

Yes, this camera requires a lot of light. But, when it has it, then it is really good!

Have fun,

Mike
Old July 14th, 2005, 12:43 AM   #17
Trustee

Play with exposure settings and leave shutter speed alone untill you are very experienced. Adjust exposure to your liking and make sure there are no auto AE setiings messing with your setup and you should be good to go. Low shutter will give you better light, thats why the cam always reverts to 1/30th in HD. If you take the time to learn the cam you will enjoy it. There is a learning curve. Good luck!
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:35 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I understand theres a learning curve to this cam. However, no matter what the exposure is at, even at +10L, I am not getting my original dark output resolved.

So, indoors, a bright light source is always needed.
Old July 14th, 2005, 11:29 AM   #19
Trustee

Allen do you want to get to the bottom of this? Give me some feedback on the questions I ask you and we should be able to figure this out. Hang in there!
Are you saying the exposure control has no effect at all?
Hook it up to the TV then test the exposure controll so you can tell from the live feed what works and what doesn't.
Are you sure you have no AE presets enabled?
Backlight compensation is not selected?
Are you in A or M mode? Make it "M"
Do not touch or sellect anything to do with shutter!
Press the exposure button and rotate slowly. Should be a lot easier to notice these changes viewing on the TV.
Any change at all?
Lets go from there.
Old July 14th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #20
Regular Crew

>Are you saying the exposure control has no effect at all?

Correct. From my observation and the thread about exposure lock, I'm not sure how this will help me in indoor shoots?

>Hook it up to the TV then test the exposure controll so you can tell from the live feed what works and what doesn't.

I believe I tried this and saw that when I jog the exposure dial from 0 to +10, no changes occur in the image on TV or on the LCD.

>Are you sure you have no AE presets enabled?

None. Always off.

>Backlight compensation is not selected?

Not selected. I tried this also and saw no difference on the LCD or VF. I didnt try the TV monitor. This is the same as the exposure test, it didnt change anything for me.

>Are you in A or M mode? Make it "M"

Manual for all indoor and outdoor tests.

>Do not touch or sellect anything to do with shutter!

I'm off the shutter. Can't play with exposure when I have shutter locked. So I pushed the shutter button until it disappeared.

>Press the exposure button and rotate slowly. Should be a lot easier to notice these changes viewing on the TV.
Any change at all?

I will try this again tonight but the thing I was saying about the exposure was that no it doesnt help because the cam readjusts by other means to get the picture "normal" and dark again. I can see that it brighten up for a second but it readjusts after and the pic looks dark again.

Perhaps I'll also include some screenshots to show and clarify.
Old July 14th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #21
Regular Crew

My testing

Just did a few shots with exposure adjusted. The exposure does brighten the picture..but as before, even on the TV monitor, it does not provide the lift needed to match the LCD or VF's output of the same image - even towards overexposure.

But I did find a setting to my liking for indoors, even better than auto. Its the "set nothing" mode in manual. No AE, no shutter, no arperture, no exposure lock. I'm sure everything is on auto but it provides a brighter picture than auto or manual in 1/30 mode. It is almost like being in manual with only 1/15 shutter set but without the panning blur.

I am not sure what shutter speed it is set at but if its 1/30, its much brighter than actually setting 1/30 in manual mode. To compare, I switched it to auto, and it was darker.

In all shots, AGC is on. Its not too bad. Without it, its too dark. The chroma noise exists whether its on or off. The setting seems to be the best setting for a bright picture with indoor shoots.

Last edited by Allen Lu; July 15th, 2005 at 08:52 AM.
Old July 15th, 2005, 12:46 PM   #22
Trustee

Try complaining to JVC. It has been stated by some that newer cams have been improved allowing much better light capability. This was first reported by users who had repairs done and noticed a vast improvement when returned.
Old July 15th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Called JVC Service

Their nearest service center is 4 hours away so I have to send it in.

They claim that the cam needs some soldering to restore the brightness.

How does this sound to you?
Old July 15th, 2005, 03:03 PM   #24
Trustee

Surprised they replied so quick and seem to know the problem sight unseen. Any estimate on cost?
Bottom line is if you want a functioning cam?!
Old July 15th, 2005, 03:45 PM   #25
Regular Crew

They said as long as I keep a copy of the sales receipt from B&H its under warranty. The lady who fielded the question to the technician said "it sounds like some soldering is needed to fix the connections".
Old July 15th, 2005, 04:31 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Called again

Called them again..this time I think I got a tech guy posing as a phone operator instead of a real phone operator.

He gave me a different story. He thinks thats how the cam works. Theres nothing wrong with it. "If you (me) want to be convinced, go to Best Buy and try one of theirs. Then decide if your cam is broken or not."

I think I will try that. He spoke of the IRE 7.5 differences in lame-man terms but he said that is very subtle and shouldnt a major difference. No soldering needed from this guy.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U