Blown Firewire :( - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 5th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Be careful

The port isolators being talked discussed while they improve your chances still don't give full protection.To be safer you need to use firewire protector with a fuse in it such as those being produced by Kramer. I have had 3 sony boards replaced as well as the jvc camera board replaced due to these problems so I would suggest that it is not a JVC problem but widespread problem with firewire in general. Since I have used the kramer box as well as using proper power down protocols before changing switch positions or disconnecting any leads I have had no further problems.
The cause is quite simple in most cases. It is usually caused by a short between the powering pins on the firewire lead and the non powered pins when either plugging or unplugging firewire leads. The other cause is a simple static charge caused by inferior electrical grounding in the computers themselves. G5 Macs and their predecessors were supposed to be very vulnerable to these problems, however all my problems have occured using non mac pc's.

regards
Ian Skurrie
Ian Skurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:30 PM   #32
Major Player

Well, I'm joining the club. Lost my firewire port today on my JVC HD-100. I'm so mad I could throw this camera out the window. Very mad!!!!
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #33
Trustee

That's too bad. I found that a JVC CU-VH1 portable deck works fine for ingesting 24p and 30p footage. I bought my CU-VH1 for $700, but one sold recently on this board for $400. I will no longer let a firewire cable touch my HD100.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #34
Major Player

Well the main reason I love the firestore is recording events that last longer than a tape. I've already done a few concerts with it (when the firewire worked). Now I'm just not looking forward to doing my next concert and missing a song part while I change tape.

I do have an XDR recorder too, which can actually record a better picture (4:2:2 220Mbps Intra) but it would require me to get a component to SDI and the handheld rig also starts to get real big at that point.

The component to SDI seems to be about the same price as it might cost to just fix the firewire port. As much as I hate to do it, looks like I'm going to take it to the service center.

Sigh...
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 03:17 AM   #35
Trustee

Aaron,

please see my posts on fixing the firewire.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-h...-jvc-cams.html
You may merely have lost the contacts through pressure on the firewire port since you also use a firestore like I do, and you may not have necesarily shorted your circuits which does more damage and requires part replacement.

A local technician can solder those ports back for you.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems