What is the best wide angle adaptor under $500 for HD-100 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 21st, 2008, 01:59 AM   #31
Trustee

I looked into the Red Eye, it doesnt "Zoom Through" what does that mean for me? I do alot of wedding runin and gunnen shooting. Will that work for me?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:35 AM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
I looked into the Red Eye, it doesnt "Zoom Through" what does that mean for me? I do alot of wedding runin and gunnen shooting. Will that work for me?
It means that you can't zoom. The camera will have a fixed lens at the widest zoom with the adapter on. To change the size of the image in the frame you will have to move closer are farther away.

It may or may not work for the way you are shooting.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:40 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Red eye

Hi Randy

I use the Red Eye - and before that a Century/Optex adaptor - on my HD111 . I shoot news and current affairs, and docs, for international broadcast clients, mostly in Europe. I have been meaning to get the 13x Fujinon but I haven't got round to getting one shipped out here yet, and everytime I get close something else gets in the way. I have the standard Fujinon 0.8 x wide angle zoom through CONVERTOR which came with the lens. I don't think I've removed it since I bought the camera 18 months ago. The Red Eye screws on the front of the Fujinon convertor, which is screwed onto the front of the lens.

I find that I tend to keep my adaptor on the lens most of the time, which forces me to use my standard 16x Fujinon zoom lens as a wide angle prime. As Jack said, if you need to put more of your subject in the frame, you have to get closer to the subject. If you want more background, you have to move back. You get used to it. It actually makes you a better shooter, since you need to shoot and move, and you can't rely on the lazy zoom solution.

I usually shoot a sequence with the red eye on, moving around the axis, getting in close, going low (or high), and pulling back for the wides... then, time permitting, I'll drop back, take the red eye off, reset the Macro ring, and shoot close ups on faces and detail until I'm done. If time is tight, I'll just move a lot and keep the red eye in place. Most cut news sequences don't use more then three or four - maybe as many as six - shots, so this works well for me.

I don'e see why this shouldn't work for you. I'm not sure what you guys mean when you talk about "run and gun", and I've never shot a wedding. But I guess that you need to be on sticks and using the Zoom during the Church service, as i suppose you can't move around that much. But during the reception, if you can get into the crowd, I think you'd find the red eye very effective. And if it isn't working, you can always take it off again.

Two points to remember: 1: you'll need to adjust the macro ring every time you put the adaptor on and off. It's a small adjustment - perhaps a couple of millimeters - but it is essential. I usually switch on Focus Assist for a couple of seconds while I adjust the macro ring, as i find this helps get the focus good and sharp.

and 2: the adaptor attracts dust and lint, and these show up very clearly - so it's really important to keep both sides of the adaptor, and the front element of you lens, really clean. I guess that somewhere out there someone makes an "anti-static" lens cleaning fluid; if I ever see any, I'll get some, 'cos that should help.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.
Robert Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:19 AM   #34
Major Player

Interesting thread.
Looking around at wide angle possibilities myself, although not currently a necessity.
The JVC convertor seems like a good route - I can then either look around for an adaptor for this or await the HD red eye.
Couple of things I'm a little unsure of:

Obviously with the zoom through adaptor fixed you can happily zoom as though you were using the fixed fujinon lens - is it necessary to adjust the macro lens in this situation?

If I were to aiming to achieve the 'bokeh' look might it be possible to fix a 35mm adaptor to the convertor (and/or adaptor) or is this just not feasible and should I instead use them separately?

The Cavision looks a good option, certainly cheaper than purchasing both the JVC convertor and adaptor but then again both a heck of a lot cheaper than the dedicated wide angle lenses.
I'm having trouble locating the JVC WA convertor (WCV82SC) in the uk - anyone uk based managed to procure one?
Is it the case that the convertor and adaptor will give you a wider angle (and less barrel) than a convertor alone?
Although it's no hardship to lose the zoom capability (which emphasise any minor shakes etc) it's useful for certain shots (and again it's no biggie to take the thing off).

It is indeed a money pit...!
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:25 AM   #35
Trustee

Thanks for all your replys, I think I*need to stick with the "Zoom through" for what I do. I never tried the JVC/Fujinon adapter is it clean? This Cavision I currently have looks o.k. on a normal 4:3 tube t.v. you can see a little softness but not much. but when you put it on a big LCD it really looks bad. When I first got it I was still working in 4:3 so I really needed the %40 wideness now im shooting 16:9 and %20 will be fine. I just need something sharp. Maybe the JVC/Fujinon is good enough?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:41 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Wcv82sc

Hi Dave

With this convertor you do not need to touch the macro ring. I got mine as part of a package deal through Proactive Video in Hemel Hempsted.

http://www.proav.co.uk/

Kevin Eaton is the guy I dealt with there. Kevin@proav.co.uk

Sorry: forgive my ignorance: What is the "bokeh" look?
Robert Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:47 AM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Adams View Post
Hi Dave

With this convertor you do not need to touch the macro ring. I got mine as part of a package deal through Proactive Video in Hemel Hempsted.

http://www.proav.co.uk/

Kevin Eaton is the guy I dealt with there. Kevin@proav.co.uk

Sorry: forgive my ignorance: What is the "bokeh" look?
Hey thanks Robert - I know ProAv so that's really handy (I got most of my kit from there).
As for the 'bokeh' look this linkie will explain it better than I (you'll know the look but not the phrase) - first I heard of this was on here a short while back:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh
David Scattergood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems