What is the best wide angle adaptor under $500 for HD-100 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 1st, 2008, 09:37 AM   #16
Regular Crew

red eye

Well Gary, I've never had any complaints about image quality when shooting in HDV with my standard red eye convertor. I'd like to see a comparison though, see where the differences are on a 1/3rd inch chip. Maybe you'd pick up some difference on a HD750 with a J20 on the front. But we're talking about under a thousand dollar's worth of glass on the front of a JVC HD111. I'm not sure that the standard fujinon lens can really be more than average, given its price point.

And I quite like the barrel distortion effect - 'specially on big wide landscapes.
Robert Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 09:47 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Adams View Post
Well Gary, I've never had any complaints about image quality when shooting in HDV with my standard red eye convertor. I'd like to see a comparison though, see where the differences are on a 1/3rd inch chip. Maybe you'd pick up some difference on a HD750 with a J20 on the front. But we're talking about under a thousand dollar's worth of glass on the front of a JVC HD111. I'm not sure that the standard fujinon lens can really be more than average, given its price point.

And I quite like the barrel distortion effect - 'specially on big wide landscapes.
So your not using the fx version, your using the standard which is 82mm and if that is the case do you ever use the red eye by itself on your camera and if so how good are the picture from that?
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 10:04 AM   #18
Regular Crew

red eye

Mea culpa: The Red Eye is an ADAPTOR (non-zoom through): the Fujinon is a CONVERTOR (zoom through)

Gary, your read is correct: I'm using the standard version of the Red Eye adaptor, not the fx version. And I have used it both on top of the Fujinon 16x lens that comes with the JVCHD111, and on the fujinon x0.8 convertor. So long as you are scrupulous about setting the macro ring to get the correct focus (as with any convertor) it all looks pretty good. The most important thing (as I was advised on this forum) is that because of the optics on a 1/3 inch chip, any dust or dirt shows up very clearly. So it's really essential to keep the Red Eye clean, especially at lower f stops.

But look, any screw-on convertor or adaptor is going to be a compromise. The very fact that this thread is about "wide angle adaptors under USD500" suggests we're not talking about serious quality lenses here. A serious lens starts the other side of 20k. If you really want the best possible quality wide image on the JVC HDV series cameras, chuck another 7 grand in the pot and buy the Fujinon 13x lens that's built to do the job.
Old April 1st, 2008, 10:21 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Mea culpa: The Red Eye is an ADAPTOR (non-zoom through): the Fujinon is a CONVERTOR (zoom through)

Gary, your read is correct: I'm using the standard version of the Red Eye adaptor, not the fx version. And I have used it both on top of the Fujinon 16x lens that comes with the JVCHD111, and on the fujinon x0.8 convertor. So long as you are scrupulous about setting the macro ring to get the correct focus (as with any convertor) it all looks pretty good. The most important thing (as I was advised on this forum) is that because of the optics on a 1/3 inch chip, any dust or dirt shows up very clearly. So it's really essential to keep the Red Eye clean, especially at lower f stops.

But look, any screw-on convertor or adaptor is going to be a compromise. The very fact that this thread is about "wide angle adaptors under USD500" suggests we're not talking about serious quality lenses here. A serious lens starts the other side of 20k. If you really want the best possible quality wide image on the JVC HDV series cameras, chuck another 7 grand in the pot and buy the Fujinon 13x lens that's built to do the job.
Ha Ha HA No thanks I have to many other thing to spend money on for this very expensive hobby of mine just looking for the best glass I can get for under $500 this is looking to be in the top two I spoke to a red eye rep today and they said they are in the works on a fx 82mm he is also checking to see if I can use the fx 72mm HDV with a step down ring so we will see should hear something later today!
Old April 1st, 2008, 10:46 AM   #20
Regular Crew

wangles

Yeah, I have hobbies like that - flying and diving are basically money pits. But I'm lucky enough to be able to make a living doing the other thing I love - making images, telling stories.

I think you'll find that the 72mm step down ring will show up on the lens. If you can wait - and you think it will really make a difference - I'd hang on till the fx version of the 82mm ring comes out. I'd like to know what the Red Eye rep said about the difference between the two - should I be worried? Am I short-changing my clients by using the SD version?
Old April 1st, 2008, 12:27 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Yeah, I have hobbies like that - flying and diving are basically money pits. But I'm lucky enough to be able to make a living doing the other thing I love - making images, telling stories.

I think you'll find that the 72mm step down ring will show up on the lens. If you can wait - and you think it will really make a difference - I'd hang on till the fx version of the 82mm ring comes out. I'd like to know what the Red Eye rep said about the difference between the two - should I be worried? Am I short-changing my clients by using the SD version?
If your clients like what your producing and from the sounds of it I would say they do then I would not even give it a second thought but if there is going to be better glass shortly then I think I might wait since everything I shoot is in in HDV.
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:26 PM   #22
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Kolitz View Post
Does anyone know whether this is also suitable for use on the Fujinon 17x lens...and whether the stock lens hood can still be used once it's attached?
The WCV82SC will NOT fit on the 17x. We have a 100 and a 200. The 100 has the stock 16x with the WCV82SC. When we got the 200 we got some sort of package that included the GY-HD200CHU (the camera without the stock lens) and the 17x bundled together. We had such good results with the WCV82SC that we bought one for the 200. It does not fit on the 17 - the threads are the right size but the back side of the converter sticks out too far into the lens and touched the surface.

There is a Fujinon wide angle converter (or maybe it was an adapter, I can't remember) available for the 17 but I think it was something like $2300.

The WCV82SC will fit on the stock lens with the standard lens hood but it stick out so far that the lens hood becomes less effective.
Buddy Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:29 AM   #23
Major Player

Well after listening to what everyone had to say about wide angle adapters to be honest, with as many HD-100 cameras out their and allot of wide angle lenses on back order with most vendors I was supprise to hear so little from so many but I do appriciate the people who did put in their 2cents, after the responses and talking with vendors on a variety of products I elected to go with the LWAO6HX72-HVX-HD100. Since no one seem to give any responses on this product even though thier is a back order on it I will post what I think of it after I recieve it. Thanks again for all your oppinions, by the way I think I would have bought the Red Eye if they had it available in the FX HDV 82mm version but they dont I only heard from one person who has owned one who did not like it, evey one else I heard from said it was a great peice of glass for the money perhaps he got a faulty one. Thanks again Gary Williams

http://www.cavision.com/optics/indus...-HVX-HD100.htm
Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:09 PM   #24
Regular Crew

looks like a good choice

That cavision glass looks like a good choice. How much are you paying for it? I will be very interested to hear how it performs - screen grabs would be great. I'll try and put some up from my redeye for comparison.

Enjoy - and remember Robert Capa's advice -- and the best possible reason for getting a wide angle adaptor/convertor/lens:

"If your pictures aren't good enough, it's probably 'cos you're not close enough."
Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:18 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
That cavision glass looks like a good choice. How much are you paying for it? I will be very interested to hear how it performs - screen grabs would be great. I'll try and put some up from my redeye for comparison.

Enjoy - and remember Robert Capa's advice -- and the best possible reason for getting a wide angle adaptor/convertor/lens:

"If your pictures aren't good enough, it's probably 'cos you're not close enough."
$189 + Shiping through B&H The Rep at cavision said the industrial glass is the same as the broadcast so we will see.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rial_Wide.html
Old April 3rd, 2008, 01:29 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Scott View Post
The WCV82SC will NOT fit on the 17x. We have a 100 and a 200. The 100 has the stock 16x with the WCV82SC. When we got the 200 we got some sort of package that included the GY-HD200CHU (the camera without the stock lens) and the 17x bundled together. We had such good results with the WCV82SC that we bought one for the 200. It does not fit on the 17 - the threads are the right size but the back side of the converter sticks out too far into the lens and touched the surface.

There is a Fujinon wide angle converter (or maybe it was an adapter, I can't remember) available for the 17 but I think it was something like $2300.

The WCV82SC will fit on the stock lens with the standard lens hood but it stick out so far that the lens hood becomes less effective.
Thanks very much for this info!
Brent Kolitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams View Post
$189 + Shiping through B&H The Rep at cavision said the industrial glass is the same as the broadcast so we will see.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rial_Wide.html
Just recieved my cavision wide angle lense adapter. I will try it out on my day off this Thursday and let Robert Adams and everyone know what I think of it, as far as the glass is concerned it looks great and comes in a nice protective black pouch that zips closed.
Old April 9th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams View Post
Just recieved my cavision wide angle lense adapter. I will try it out on my day off this Thursday and let Robert Adams and everyone know what I think of it, as far as the glass is concerned it looks great and comes in a nice protective black pouch that zips closed.
Well after using the cavision wide agle adapter this is what I have to say about it, its a solid peice of glass color and picture quality are not to bad for the price it cost the barrel distortion is noticable and in my opinion this lense is good only for some situations, open landscapes and situation where you may really need the extra 40% of the picture you get with this lense. It is not usable for all situations the barrel distortion would be to great for me to use it all the time of course I did not buy it for that purpose so for what it cost its not a bad deal but it will give noticable barrel distortion in some situations and in others it will not be to noticeable you will have to use your own discretion with this lense and in my opinion any other adapter that you buy I dont think thier is any adapter out their that will give you virtualy no barrel distortion for the HD-100.
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:08 AM   #29
Trustee

I have the "Zoom through" version wide angle adapter I forget the model. Its heavy about a pound or more(or at least it feels like it) It gets me plenty wide enough but now when I start looking at my images on a big 42 inch LCD I can really see the distortion at least in SD. I cant get by it anymore which is why im checking out this thread. I either need to get a higher quality adapter or just live with the JVCs original config. Is the new Cavisions any better? Is the Century one cleaner? My is a zoom through and I think it cost like $400 last year.

Randy
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
I have the "Zoom through" version wide angle adapter I forget the model. Its heavy about a pound or more(or at least it feels like it) It gets me plenty wide enough but now when I start looking at my images on a big 42 inch LCD I can really see the distortion at least in SD. I cant get by it anymore which is why im checking out this thread. I either need to get a higher quality adapter or just live with the JVCs original config. Is the new Cavisions any better? Is the Century one cleaner? My is a zoom through and I think it cost like $400 last year.

Randy
I would probably wait for the new HD version of the red eye when it comes out with the threads to mount on the hd-100 it will probably be the best choice for the money, it will probably come out some time this year.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems