What is the best wide angle adaptor under $500 for HD-100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 20th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #1
Major Player

What is the best wide angle adaptor under $500 for HD-100

If you have one for your camera how much is it and do you like it?
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #2
Major Player

I got a second hand wide-angle lens on ebay under $500. Make sure to ask detailed photo's and arguments why they are selling the lens.
Old March 20th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I presume that you mean a wide angle "conversion" lens rather than a wide angle "adapter"lens. A conversion lens is a zoom-thru lens and is available through B&H or Century, but they are over $500. An adapter lens will not allow zoom-thru but rather is focused at a fixed focal length. Wide angle adapter lens are available for a lot less than wide angle conversion lens, though.
Your best buy might be on eBay but be careful. I bought one on eBay that had a scratched front element. I recommend a conversion lens as being the most useful and practical.
Good luck,
Ken
Kennedy Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #4
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams View Post
If you have one for your camera how much is it and do you like it?
We offer this .7x lens:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...=1085&IID=1364

It is 30% wider than your existing lens but doesn't allow zooming. You also need a $100 adapter ring to make it work. Maybe you can find one used.

If you decide that you need a zoom through attachment and buy new or find one of these for sale used then this will be your best bet for most lenses. It has an 85mm clamp-on ring:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...=1085&IID=1367

All of this is dependent on your lens. Check the outside diameter of the lens. The OD is usualy 3mm more than the filter size. All of our broadcast lenses for this camera clamp onto the outside diameter.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 05:55 AM   #5
New Boot

I have the Fujinon, to me, this camera is almost un-useable without it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ough_Wide.html
David Michnowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:47 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Michnowicz View Post
I have the Fujinon, to me, this camera is almost un-useable without it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ough_Wide.html
Does anyone know whether this is also suitable for use on the Fujinon 17x lens...and whether the stock lens hood can still be used once it's attached?
Brent Kolitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:16 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I also would like to know the options for 17xlens....
Petr Bastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 08:00 AM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Kolitz View Post
Does anyone know whether this is also suitable for use on the Fujinon 17x lens...and whether the stock lens hood can still be used once it's attached?
It will "live" on the lens. I have never found any reason to take it off. The lens hood goes on without issue, just be sure the glass is spotless before adding the adapter, and you will probably never have to take it off again.
Old March 21st, 2008, 08:21 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
It will "live" on the lens. I have never found any reason to take it off. The lens hood goes on without issue, just be sure the glass is spotless before adding the adapter, and you will probably never have to take it off again.
I too agree with David. I have never taken mine off since the day i bought the camera. Why would anyone?
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:55 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
David -- are your comments specific to the 17x lens as well as the 16x?
Old March 22nd, 2008, 06:01 AM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Kolitz View Post
David -- are your comments specific to the 17x lens as well as the 16x?

Hey Brent,
I can't speak for the 17x, but mine is on the Fujinon T16X5.5BRMU Lens, which comes stock with the 110. Honestly, It's such a great piece of glass for the money, most of the time I take for granted that it's on there, but I can't imagine shooting without it so the risk of sending it back if it doesn't fit is far out-weighed by the improved images you will get.

<Edit>

I just took the camera out and took the lens hood off, the converter sits completely flush with the front of the lens and does not even come in contact with the hood. Upon further inspection, it looks as though you can put the adapter on without even taking the hood off. I have to assume that front of the glass on the 17x is the same size as the 16x, or the adapter wouldn't fit anyway.
Give it a shot, the worst that could happen is that you would have to send it back and pay a few bucks on shipping. Good Luck!
Old March 22nd, 2008, 06:36 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Give it a shot, the worst that could happen is that you would have to send it back and pay a few bucks on shipping. Good Luck!
Thanks for checking, David -- I'll definitely put this on my list.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 10:51 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Wide angle adaptor/convertor

I use the Fujinon x8 ADAPTOR which - as others have noted - lives on the lens. And I have a redeye x.7 CONVERTOR (in other words, non-zoom through) which is fine (and in your price bracket) though you have to be scrupulous about keeping it clean and dust free. The Redeye screws onto the front of the Fujinon, 0.8, giving you a combined range that is almost double that of the standard 16x lens.

http://www.red-eye.tv/

I also have a pair of old Optex x0.7/x0.5 convertors, which are great glass but now showing signs of age.
Robert Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Adams View Post
I use the Fujinon x8 ADAPTOR which - as others have noted - lives on the lens. And I have a redeye x.7 CONVERTOR (in other words, non-zoom through) which is fine (and in your price bracket) though you have to be scrupulous about keeping it clean and dust free. The Redeye screws onto the front of the Fujinon, 0.8, giving you a combined range that is almost double that of the standard 16x lens.

http://www.red-eye.tv/

I also have a pair of old Optex x0.7/x0.5 convertors, which are great glass but now showing signs of age.
Yes thats great to hear but that red eye your are using for the HD-100 is for dv not HDV so in the set up you are suggesting you would be degrading your image for such a shot or are you using the fx series for HD and using a step down ring to mount the red eye?
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #15
Major Player

Has anyone tried this lense by Cavision it is Broadcast quality and gives 30% more viewing area, it is not a zoom through but I dont care about that.
http://www.cavision.com/optics/broadcast/BWA07X86.htm
Gary Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems