DVX vs. HD100 Clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 6th, 2005, 08:02 PM   #1
Wrangler

DVX vs. HD100 Clips

Since the last three years I've been an avid proponent of the DVX, and that one of my beliefs is that the HD100 fills all the jobs of the DVX and more, I decided the next logical step would be to compare the two.

On Sunday, myself and my friend Brian Hodge (DVX owner) decided we'd set up a shot or two and compare the two side-by-side. The tests would be:

1-DVX100A vs. HD100, both shooting DV 24PA

2-DVX vs. HD100, HD100 shooting HDV 24P then downconverted to SD res.

3-DVX resolution chart vs. HD100 res chart in DV 24PA

4-DVX res chart vs HD100 res chart (downconverted to SD from HDV)

I compiled the results into a DVD image that can be downloaded, burned, and then viewed on NTSC or your computer. While you can definitely see differences on a computer monitor, I feel these sorts of things are best judged on NTSC.

The link:

Mac: http://www.hdvinfo.net/media/nweaver/DVX-HD100.img
PC: http://www.hdvinfo.net/media/nweaver/HD100-DVX.iso

I'll wait until I get some responses to post what I feel the results were...you know, to keep up the suspense and all :-)

Last edited by Nate Weaver; September 7th, 2005 at 11:38 AM.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Nate

How did you do the down conversion from HDV 24p to SD?
Through NLE means or component out of the camera into a DVCAM/DV VTR?

Sorry, no Mac to appreciate your efforts.
Scott Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #3
Trustee

Nate, thanks for the effort. Unfortunately an img file will not work with Windows. We'll need an iso file to be able to burn it.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 09:25 PM   #4
Trustee

Yeah, I would like to watch it too, but I'm also wintel based.
May I ask you an off topic question on the HD100?
Is the tripod plate really a standard sony and does the camera come with the tripod shoe or the shoe comes with the plate when you buy it? I have a sony plate laying around, but I don't have a shoe.

Thanks Nate.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 09:39 PM   #5
Wrangler

Link to ISO added above.

Last edited by Nate Weaver; September 6th, 2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old September 6th, 2005, 09:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
Yeah, I would like to watch it too, but I'm also wintel based.
May I ask you an off topic question on the HD100?
Is the tripod plate really a standard sony and does the camera come with the tripod shoe or the shoe comes with the plate when you buy it? I have a sony plate laying around, but I don't have a shoe.

Thanks Nate.
The JVC plate is the same as a Sony. Just mounted a 709 on it no problem.
But the camera does not come standard with the tripod shoe. The tripod shoe comes with the tripod plate.

You'll need to see if JVC offer the tripod shoe as a part.

You can't use a Sony tripod shoe either, the holes don't line up (but not by much). Which I guess means Chrosziel will have to release a new light weight support(rail mount).
Scott Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 10:27 PM   #7
Wrangler

Link to ISO added above.
Old September 7th, 2005, 01:01 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Nate: since you apparently have access to both cameras, how about comparing a resolution chart shot on the HD100 at full HDV quality to the same chart shot on the DVX100? We've seen plenty of comparisons between HDV and DV cameras where the HDV footage is downsampled to SD resolution; time to take the gloves off and let HDV show its full value!
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 01:40 AM   #9
Trustee

Hi,

@Kevin, you know the rez for HDV is better and will mop the floor with the DVX100a. The problem is, there is no delivery method for HDV unless you're going straight to HDTV broadcast or to the web (DivX, WMV or QT-H264). You can't burn an HD DVD on any device so the HDV must be downsampled to SD in order to deliver a DVD. If Toshiba ever get's their act together then maybe we'll be able to deliver HD-DVD, until then it's downsample and archive or transfer to film hombre...

@Nate, The ISO burned and played. Thanks for doing that. They looked comparable to me. I didn't check the waveform or do a histomatch but to my eye they looked pretty close. Do you know of any clips on line that were shot in 30P?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 02:57 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for posting that comparison Nate. What I'm seeing is a lot more resolution from the HD100 than on the DVX, even in SD mode, which suprised me. The place to see this is on the stones between the railroad tracks, and the resolution charts attest to this, hard to argue with that. However on the color front, I find the DVX picture much more pleasing all round I have to say.
I'd want to do a lot of color correction on the JVC pics for my taste, but just a bit of saturation on the DVX. I wonder how well the HDV from the HD100 holds up to any color correction? I'd probably want to transcode to DVCPRO HD or better uncompressed to attempt that.

Thanks again

Paul
Old September 7th, 2005, 10:57 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mogg
Thanks for posting that comparison Nate. What I'm seeing is a lot more resolution from the HD100 than on the DVX, even in SD mode, which suprised me. The place to see this is on the stones between the railroad tracks, and the resolution charts attest to this, hard to argue with that. However on the color front, I find the DVX picture much more pleasing all round I have to say.
I'd want to do a lot of color correction on the JVC pics for my taste, but just a bit of saturation on the DVX. I wonder how well the HDV from the HD100 holds up to any color correction? I'd probably want to transcode to DVCPRO HD or better uncompressed to attempt that.

Thanks again

Paul
I agree with the assertion that the HD100 footage looks sharper, but the res charts I think I messed up. The downconverted HD100 chart is sharper on the vertical resolution, but worse on the horizontal. I pulled the full frame stills using Quicktime Player, and then made the enlargements using Photoshop...using the scale tool inside a 720x480 document. I think maybe the scale tool was not the way to do this.

Also, somebody asked how I did the footage downconversion...all footage was pulled into a DVCPRO 50 timeline and then the MPEG-2s were encoded directly off of that. The idea was to preserve to chroma resolution gain you get when downconverting HDV.

FCP 4.5 did a lousy job of scaling down footage, but 5 seems to do a great job.
Old September 7th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi Nate,

thanks for the great comparison. I am following the discussion about the HD 100 for some months now but finally I got a few visual arguments to decide. The downconverted material looks pretty good and I think I will sell my GY 5000 soon. Maybe the experts still have good arguments against it but my pics just have to look good on TV and with a little adjustments the cam permits the results must be (nearly) perfect.

Markus
Markus Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 05:21 PM   #13
Major Player

If I could sell my DV500 for a half reasonable price I would. I love it, but would like to move to a HD100 for the obvious HD option but also native 16:9 DV. I would still have my DV301 for low light 4:3 SD (about the same as the DV500).
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 09:25 PM   #14
suspended -- contact admin

What I would like to see is a comparison between footage from the DVX that has been upconverted to 720p and native 720p footage from the HD100.
Tommy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 09:55 PM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy James
What I would like to see is a comparison between footage from the DVX that has been upconverted to 720p and native 720p footage from the HD100.
Why? You want to see just how much softer the DVX footage would be? I'm sure the DVX uprezes pretty nicely for a DV camera, but trust me, there's a lot more real resolution the HD100 puts out.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems