HDVxDV now supports JVC 720P24 and Timecode! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 15th, 2005, 04:36 PM   #1
Wrangler

Attn MAC USERS: HDVxDV now supports JVC 720P24 and Timecode!

I happened to check out HDVxDV's website today and noticed the animated banner promoting the fact that it now supports the HD100 in 720P24 mode.
They also stress that when the new quicktime movie is created, it will maintain TC of the camera original. That is good news! This solution will work for Final Cut Pro and Avid users.
http://www.HDVxDV.com

Quoted from their site:
Quote:
HDVxDV 1.024 adds support for the JVC ProHD 24 frame per second HDV format. It allows you to capture and convert video from the new JVC GY-HD100U camera and edit in Final Cut Pro, Avid or any other editing system that supports Quicktime. HDVxDV features real time audio and video preview of native HDV video and selectable 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 color upsampling. You can export either drop-frame or non-drop frame timecode to export to Quicktime in the HDVxDV preferences. In addition, the timecode is now displayed in the timeline. When a new Quicktime movie is created, the original camera's timecode will be preserved. This version will run on Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger).
The nice thing about this software is that you can download a trial version and see if it works for you. The trial is fully functional, but the quicktime outputs are watermarked.
The other nice thing is that the workflow is very simple compared to LumiereHD. Just capture your clips, batch export them to your desired codec, and then drag them into your FCP project. This will work with any version of FCP.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Dammit, I just bought the Lumière software, which is actually a bit time consuming. Did you try this new one? If so, how do you like it?

Thanks for posting Tim =)
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 09:29 AM   #3
New Boot

HD 24 fps

Hi!

I am new to the HD game. I have the JVC GY - HD100U and the Apple Mac FCP.

Question :

1) When I capture 24fps, how do I convert that to read in FCP and have the output in 24fps quality?

2) I have heard of Lumiere and HDVxDX and tried the trial version of HDVxDX. Does that maintain the 24 fps quality when you convert with the 720p or 1080i mode?

3) Which software is better? Does Lumiere have trial version? Did not see it on their website.

4) I have read the tech explanation of 720p and 1080i. Practically what is the difference to the end user. All I want is broadcast quality output?

Thank you.

Nitin Sawant
Nitin Sawant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 10:29 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin Sawant
Hi!

I am new to the HD game. I have the JVC GY - HD100U and the Apple Mac FCP.

Question :

1) When I capture 24fps, how do I convert that to read in FCP and have the output in 24fps quality?
Until Apple comes up with a better solution, you can capture with LumiereHD or HDVxDV and convert into any quicktime codec for use in FCP (4.5 or 5)
Quote:
2) I have heard of Lumiere and HDVxDX and tried the trial version of HDVxDX. Does that maintain the 24 fps quality when you convert with the 720p or 1080i mode?
Yes. They both maintain the original 24fps and you can convert to quicktime in any level of quality from HD uncompressed 10-bit 4:4:4, down to standard definition DV or even Jpeg. Whatever works for you.
Quote:
3) Which software is better? Does Lumiere have trial version? Did not see it on their website.
At the moment Lumiere HD does not offer a trial version - but I wish it had.
As for which is better, it is subjective opinion.
In my personal experience, we purchased Lumiere HD (v1.6b2) a couple of weeks ago and I have basically found it to be useless in its current beta form. I don't feel comfortable capturing without TC, and after I capture my first clip, the transport buttons "gray out" and I have to restart the app to continue. It is definitely beta software (that we payed over $200 for.) I was able to remove the pulldown from a bunch of m2t 720P24 captures I had made earlier with DVHSCAP - so at least that works.
With that said however, the workflows are different and both are in development. Lumiere HD does offer the ability to record back to tape - but I haven't gotten that far yet.
Also, with the current beta version of LumiereHD a lengthy 15-step process is required to capture and convert your footage with sync audio into a usable format for FCP5.
HDVxDV (v1.024) is very simple and straightforward. You just capture and convert, then import all of the clips into FCP. Audio sync is maintained no problem. The K.I.S.S. approach makes it the current winner in my books.
They still need to work out a little TC bug, but the support staff is very quick to respond to emails.
In either case you can keep your original m2t files in a safe place and use a low-res codec for real-time offline, and then re-convert to a broadcast codec and reconnect the new clips.
Quote:
4) I have read the tech explanation of 720p and 1080i. Practically what is the difference to the end user? All I want is broadcast quality output?
"Broadcast quality" means different things to different broadcasters. Resolution is just one aspect. As for the major networks, ABC and FOX broadcast 720P and NBC & CBS broadcast 1080i.
Personally, I think the end results will ultimately be better with 720P because so many people are buying LCD and plasma. These technologies are inheritly progressive scan, so no interlace to progressive conversions need to take place.
There are many threads all over dvinfo regarding the pros and cons of 1080i vs. 720P. You should do a search.
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Testing the Software

I've been working with the trial version of HDVxDV for a couple of days and it seems to work very well. I've been making DVCPRO HD files. The frame rate comes out to pure 24fps and not 23.976. When I've made a project file in FCP from the preset menu, the timeline is set for 23.976. I've been changing this to pure 24fps.

Does anyone know if the files coming out of the JVC are 24fps or 23.976? I couldn't find it in the manual. If it's 23.976 and HDVxDV is creating 24fps files, am I doing something wrong or is it the software?

Thanks,

Dave Dessel
David Dessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #6
New Boot

1) How does one find out if the QT file exported out of HDVxDV is 24fps?
2) When you import it FCP, edit it and export it to a QT file again - how do I know what fps I am getting on output?

Thanks

Nitin
Nitin Sawant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:51 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dessel
I've been working with the trial version of HDVxDV for a couple of days and it seems to work very well. I've been making DVCPRO HD files. The frame rate comes out to pure 24fps and not 23.976. When I've made a project file in FCP from the preset menu, the timeline is set for 23.976. I've been changing this to pure 24fps.

Does anyone know if the files coming out of the JVC are 24fps or 23.976? I couldn't find it in the manual. If it's 23.976 and HDVxDV is creating 24fps files, am I doing something wrong or is it the software?

Thanks,

Dave Dessel
I noticed this too and informed Brad Wright at HDVxDV about it. 24P for video is actually 23.98fps. Only use 24fps if you are cutting and mixing for a film print.

You shouldn't change your sequence to 24fps, instead open cinema tools and "BAtch conform" your quicktime files to 23.98.
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
1) How does one find out if the QT file exported out of HDVxDV is 24fps?
When you look at the frame rate column in your bin it displays the frame rate. Alternatively, you could open the QT file in quicktime player and "Get Info." (CMD + I)

Quote:
2) When you import it FCP, edit it and export it to a QT file again - how do I know what fps I am getting on output?
You will get whatever frame rate your sequence was set to - just like editing SD. FCP functions exactly the same way.
Old November 16th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks

Tim,

Thanks much for the workaround on the 24fps issue. HDVxDV is a great solution for editing 24p. It's simple, fast, and the quality seems first rate.

-Dave Dessel
David Dessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:25 PM   #10
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
I don't feel comfortable capturing without TC.
Suppose you had to recapture because of a disk crash -- how do you plan to get a recapture?
Old November 17th, 2005, 12:36 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
Suppose you had to recapture because of a disk crash -- how do you plan to get a recapture?
Worst case scenario: I would have my assistant recapture the used clips manually, based on the EDL, and then re-assemble the cut.

Wishful thinking scenario: Apple will release a major update to FCP5 at Macworld in January that includes a 720P24 capture preset. Then simply batch capture the project based on TC. Maybe HDVxDV or LumiereHD will add batch capture functions as well?
Old November 17th, 2005, 12:37 AM   #12
Wrangler

I've moved the posts concerning the eternal Mac vs PC question into its own thread in the proper forum.

Go here to continue the conversation:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=54543
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #13
Wrangler

Has anyone had any TC issues? I'm finding that the resultant TC on the 1.024 version is not the same as on the camera original (build 1.024 under OS X 10.3.9)
Brad seemed surprised that this was the case, so I wanted to get some other results from those running Tiger.
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:40 AM   #14
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Wishful thinking scenario: Apple will release a major update to FCP5 at Macworld in January that includes a 720P24 capture preset.
Since Apple has both the Canon and JVC there is no reason they should solve the problem soon. But I remember it wasn't until after NAB we got the first JVC HDV support.

Analog capture via B works fine to DVCPRO HD. Now you would think you you choose FireWire control by simply choosing HDV FireWire. But noO.

It claims you must be capturing HDV to use HDV Control.

I used to use this trick with the first gen JVC which had DV control.

You've got an "assistant" :) Now that makes an EDL really useful. I had never considered such an option.
Old November 18th, 2005, 08:14 AM   #15
Trustee

TC and deck control go hand in hand and seem to be a running theme with HDV and especially the JVC gear.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems