New Hangout & NAB Invitation - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 17th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #31
DVX User

yes.. as i posted before the threads still remain and are active.. they are just off topic now. They kinda always were off topic, but its just now more official.
Jarred Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #32
Major Player

Wow.
We're all here now. How cool is this. I used to frequent both boards. DVX for the people, and here for both the people and the technical info (which there's tons). Now I have a one stop shop. :)

Welcome all!
Old April 17th, 2006, 10:32 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Yes, the board will be better than ever and having Jonathan here will be a huge benefit to those that never browsed dvxuser.com.
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #34
Trustee

Yes, Jonathan has been a great service to the JVC community.
His generousity has been enourmous willing to help others in a bind.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #35
Major Player

I hope to see you guys at the JVC party... unless Red has a private party... lol...
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #36
2nd Unit TV

Thanks, guys. For some of us, it's all about giving back to the community that put us where we are today. The film community gets a bad rap generally and while some people ion it deserve it, most do not. This is a close, family community and we all give and take as we need but we all have to do both otherwise it doesn't work. Some of the best posts I've ever read came from Tim Dashwood, Barry Green, Stephen Noe and others who seemed only to drop in to dvxuser. Not knowing this was their home, I never knew where they went. People like Stephen Noe with his vast reservoir of knowledge spent alot of time there as well but I alwasys thought that was his home. Come to discover that DVInfo exists and this is the real tech home.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance. I simply don't have the time to frequent the boards and only spent so much time on dvxuser because of Jared, the prople there and the fact that I cold help people who needed help there. Helping and teaching is just what I love to do like it is for George Dibbie. That's, again, why we're producing 2nd Unit out of pocket. We're in the hopes that seeing a television production from inside out will help people understand what goes into it. 2nd Unit should answer alot of questions and help alot of people especially with feedback from Tim and Barry and the others. It was designed for the Internet to accompany the three shows we're shooting for network right now so hopefully we can use dvinfo like dvxuser to touch as many people as we can.

Again, thanks for the kind words and let's get back to work.
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 12:04 PM   #37
Obstreperous Rex

This is why I really admire what Jarred has done with his site within the span of three short years... DVX User is so freakin' huge now that it's got folks who've never even heard of us! And we're not exactly all that small! Heh. Simply amazing. Jarred grew his site to be bigger than mine in less than half the time it's taken me to get just this far. That impresses the hell out of me. I'm glad there's only one of him!

Apologies for the OT post,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #38
Major Player

Glade to be aboard!

Well, I know one thing the JVC user site here will continue to grow to an enormous and very informative, educational and professional stature Im sure and Jonathan amoung others will be a great contribution to all of it. See all of you at the NAB party on Monday.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #39
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
This is why I really admire what Jarred has done with his site within the span of three short years... DVX User is so freakin' huge now that it's got folks who've never even heard of us! And we're not exactly all that small! Heh. Simply amazing. Jarred grew his site to be bigger than mine in less than half the time it's taken me to get just this far. That impresses the hell out of me. I'm glad there's only one of him!

Apologies for the OT post,
But your mantra has always been quality over quantity. That's not to say there was no quality elsewhere, it's just that post counts and membership numbers are not the primary concern at DVINFO as I understand it.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #40
Major Player

Johnathan Great to find you. I was very dissappointed that the other website didn't post anything about not having jvc users . I just purchased my camera recently an found BOTH websites to be a valuable asset.
I guess this is now the only website for JVC users.
DV info has always been a great website for info an I will visit it every day.
As a matter of fact I purchased my camera through Texastape.
Joe Bowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #41
Regular Crew

I too just made the move over to DVInfo.net when I found the JVC group MIA. I work with three friends at a studio and we've been in the industry for more than 13 years, not collectively but individually, me since I was just out of high school. We're getting ready to move out on our own and leave the security of a big studio behind and I was really glad to have met Jonathan at HD Expo. He spent over an hour with me talking about all the cameras, why he selected JVC and the industry in general and DVXuser. He introduced me to George Dibbie and Rob Kositchek and a dozen other industry veterans. These are the kinds of people that make jumping off the cliff which we're about to do a little easier knowing that people like Jonathan, with no ax to grind or ulterior motive for helping me and others are there to help us. I hope DVinfo is soft landing place. After looking at the posts of people like Chris Hurd and Tim Dashwood, I can tell this is probably going to be a great place. Besides, now you all have the added benefit of putting a little class in your site...three chick filmmakers. Not every board has that I can tell you!!! :-)
Joyce Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 01:41 PM   #42
Wrangler

hey, who cares about the sudden influx of JVC users or more technical expertise?? they are a dime-a dozen in these parts! but more women who do this stuff, now that's way cool! we're as scarce as rooster's teeth! three more women...did we just double our numbers?? actually, there's a bunch of awesome women who are regulars here, probably more are active here than were active at dvxuser, i'm guessing, and it's great to have the opportunity to meet a few more.

this is a great community of men and women. welcome.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #43
2nd Unit TV

So, I'm thinking there might be something to this. If Jared wants to return to consentrating on the HVX et al, that's a good thing. I mean one person trying to keep up with a dozen different elements on one board, well, it's like having grips and gaffers and camerpeople all available to do different jobs. Yeah, it's convenient and definitely cheaper without fringes and penalties and anyone can plug a globe in but you never get quite the same quality as you do when one area can consentrate on their duties and other areas can do their thing. I'm not saying there should be no crossing over but with DVInfo.net such a great place...and it is because in between everything else here at the studio I've taken the time to visit the various areas... it opens up new possibilities. Sharing the load so to speak.

You guys want more of a campus-like atmosphere which is fine but that doesn't mean frat house. As an example, I and my production company are a prime example of the inmates running the assylum. Just ask Mike Pellagatti, my principle cameraguy who's shot more Discovery, Health, ESPN, OLN and a dozen other cable networks' footage that you can imagine. BUT, when the stage goes hot, the set falls quiet and the cameras spit out quality footage. When the bell next rings, it's back to goofy hats and Tootsie-Pops. But, I never let it get out of hand. In my humble opinion, sometimes the JVC area looked like John Landis' Animal House with Bluto, Otter and Boon. BUT, we got alot of serious help to alot of serious people.

DVIfo is a different campus but a campus nonetheless. Again, in my opinion, there's more of a think-tank mentality here which is great. So no one said, to stay with the Aminal House analogy, that it has to be a Dean Wormer instuitution... but Bluto simply won't work here...and that's another good thing.

My recommendation is that both sites are going to benefit with the departure and the arrival of the JVC group and the load gets shared equally. Heck, I've read some of Chris Hurds stuff and it's downright great. He's, believe me, no Dean Wormer and DVInfo's no Omega fraternity. So let's see how the Deltas and the Omegas can co-exist for the benefit of independent filmmakers all over.

Those of you who have listened to me over the past six months know that for me, it's all about education and helping. This generation of filmmakers is our industry's future. We all can't afford to go to USC (Rob's throwing thins at me) and the education we all get here will be reflected in tomorrow's films. Look at how the MTV generation affected celluloid today and then sit back and project how you will affect it tomorrow. DVInfo and DVxUser are the sandboxes and the proving grounds for tomorrow's films because they're not going to be made in the sole domain of the Big Four studios on $100k cameras anymore and JVC is betting millions, perhaps billions on that. They see the top level shrinking and the mid-level...your current or immediate future level, as the prime target area which is why they're pushing the 100 so much and why they're supporting things like our "2nd Unit".

Let's give DVInfo the credit it deserves. I mean, it's not like Jared tossed us out...OK it is but anyway ;-)... no, I'm just kidding... I mean it's not like we're of no value. His resons were sound, good and not intended to hurt anyone. But, well, just look up ther "Law of Unintended Consequences" and see what you find...exactly what happened here. We have a new home. Let's move in...Big Screen first...kick back and see how we all fit in. Because the bottom line is that the filmmaking community is a family and we just got moved out from our parents house. But it's OK. We moved in with our cool Uncle Bernie! And if you don't remember Animal House, you sure ain't gonna remember Weekend at Bernies...but you should rent them anyways...both of them! Now that's filmmaking at its finest hour!!!

Just my thoughts.
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Right-freakin'-on J! One, I love those movies and 2, this is exactly what we're leaving the studio for. Filmmaking is expression and expression is art and art is interpretation of life that needs freedom to grow. In just looking at the two sites, you're right, it is almost like the Deltas and the Omegas but in a radical good way. This place rocks for information but it's definitely the Izod group. You guys over at dvxuser were definitely Bluto sometimes like one post I made over there telling somebody to get a grip...I don't even know who it was but I do know that there are alot of Grips here on the lot that read that board and razzed me over my choice of words. If I chose a place for information on JVC shooting, it'd definitely be here but then I'd head quick like a bunny over to dvxuser because it's "comfortable"...exactly J... and familiar. But there's no reason that comfort can't happen here as well. So, for what it's worth, Rock on J, I'm with you.
Joyce Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 06:29 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Are you all kidding? As of this moment you're all on double secret probation!!!!!
Dean Wer.. errr I mean Jared...said to watch out for youse guys. Just in time for the upcoming draft, hehehehe.
And I better not catch Bluto peeping on the women or else!!!
:)
anyway, welcome.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems