Video review of JVC GY-HM 100 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old April 17th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #16
Regular Crew

go Phil go - you are the man! :)

We are all waiting baited breath to see if our hopes are realised and this IS the camera of 2009.

Or will you say, as we all are dreading.. "The small sensors just dont cut it in low light"

(I have an EX1 and love it so hoping this will be the ideal smaller/lighter brother for him.. please don't say I have to buy an AVCHD cam.. please don't..)
Matt San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #17
Trustee

finished the edit. Sorry there is little low light footage, my battery didn't last.

Converting it and then will upload to XR and Vimeo as well as my blog
Old April 17th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #18
Regular Crew

90mins phil... :)
Old April 17th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #19
Trustee

There is no way will make the midnight deadline. Sorry!!

It's converting a 2.41gb file now down to H264 for uploading. So that will take a good two hours for both I think.

I will stay up and get it done. in the meantime I will write my little written review of it.

If anyone can offer a hosting of the full native .mov edit of 2.41gb I can offer that for download too...no way my server will take that sort of bashing!!
Attached Thumbnails
Video review of JVC GY-HM 100-r0011669.jpg  
Old April 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #20
Trustee

Is your last photo in London? Hope so. It would be nice to know you folks are finally learning English.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #21
Trustee

ah but you notice it is over "Bella Italia". It's part of the restaurant, basically you have to go to "School of English" before you go be a waitress there. Bit harsh methings.

Burbank? What language do you speak there. Isn't that almost Valley speak? ;-)
Old April 17th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #22
Trustee

Here is the link to the review,

Hopefully the video part will be up by 1am my time.

Hope you like it. Was a lot of work this one!

Philip Bloom Blog Archive Review of JVC GY HM 100.

ok. Exposure room is saying 3 hours as the file is 550mb. I may have to go to bed...
Old April 17th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #23
Regular Crew

BBBBbrilliant - your 1st impressions are exactly what I was hoping for - now awaiting the footage... I got a bottle of plonk in hand so am in a very forgiving mood :) COMEON JVC you can do it..

I soooo want this camera to live up to the hype.. when u said it was actually less noisy than the hm700 my mouth went from pensive to grin :)

... I so hope I agree with Phil on this one....
Old April 18th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #24
Trustee

Video is now up!!
Old April 18th, 2009, 03:14 AM   #25
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Video is now up!!
I thought your video had a "28 Weeks Later" look so I'm wondering if this was what you mean by the "Upgraded ..." tag. I'm hoping the many pale white faces and horribly crushed blacks are not what the camera delivers natively. Here in Vegas we would rush anyone who looked so poorly to hospital. :)

If this look is from the camera itself -- then it's going to face competition from the DSLRs that shoot HD. The Panasonic GH1, for example, delivers a skin tone I've only seen from film -- more yellow-orange based then red-pink based. And, the Canon is far more sensitive with less noise in saturated colors than I saw in your samples.

But, then this is third generation. You can upload second generation x264 (not Apple's horrible codec) directly to an Apple Gallery at 720p.

Loved your using a "concept" for a camcorder review! A nice step forward over the typical here's some stuff I shot with a Glitzo K9. It clearly showed the HM100 could really be used as a tool by someone with talent.
Old April 18th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
I thought your video had a "28 Weeks Later" look so I'm wondering if this was what you mean by the "Upgraded ..." tag. I'm hoping the many pale white faces and horribly crushed blacks are not what the camera delivers natively. Here in Vegas we would rush anyone who looked so poorly to hospital. :)

If this look is from the camera itself -- then it's going to face competition from the DSLRs that shoot HD. The Panasonic GH1, for example, delivers a skin tone I've only seen from film -- more yellow-orange based then red-pink based. And, the Canon is far more sensitive with less noise in saturated colors than I saw in your samples.

But, then this is third generation. You can upload second generation x264 (not Apple's horrible codec) directly to an Apple Gallery at 720p.

Loved your using a "concept" for a camcorder review! A nice step forward over the typical here's some stuff I shot with a Glitzo K9. It clearly showed the HM100 could really be used as a tool by someone with talent.
Most of the review was graded with Magic Bullet Looks to give it that guerilla look. The two sections which say are ungraded are the er, ungraded bits. The "mirror mode" was shot on the HVX 200 and the end bits to cam were on the EX3 ungraded.

Glad you liked it!
Old April 18th, 2009, 04:39 AM   #27
Major Player

Philip, Thanks very much for the review, extremely interesting and innovative. I have arranged a demo of the HM100, as soon as it is released. The only drawback I can see is the price, seems a little high for a cam with 1/4 chips, But hey, its only money. The tapeless workflow, particularely with FCP looks to be a real time saver . Once again thanks for a great review.
Old April 18th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Phil - Maybe Tim Dashwood would host the orginal clip files on here (DVINFO)

worth asking?
Old April 18th, 2009, 07:59 AM   #29
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
the er, ungraded bits.
Ahhh! Ungraded not upgraded. Makes perfect sense now. Are you coming to Vegas next week?
Old April 18th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #30
Trustee

yes arriving tomorrow!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems