Video review of JVC GY-HM 100 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old April 19th, 2009, 03:47 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Thanks Phil! Very good review!

Too bad there was only a few seconds of battery juice left for the low light...
I am surprised that the chip is actually natively 720 - not 1080. Despite that, it's a little wonder that blows all previous small-factor pro cameras in terms of ease of use and picture quality. Phil, would you recommend to always shoot in 720P to avoid 1920X1080 in-camera upconversion using this cam?

Thanks again!

Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org
Renat Zarbailov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #32
Major Player

Thanks so much Phil, the first usable examples of the HM100 footage I've been able to find.

I want one now.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #33
Major Player

Thanks for the review, Philip, finally some footage that gives us a good idea of what we can expect. If you compare the image quality to the XH-A1 or to the Panny 150/170 or Sony Ex1 where does the JVC stand in you opinion? How did you like the focus assist function? Did you give the shot gun that comes with it a try? Any opinion on the camera pre-amps/sound quality it produces?
Thanks,
Matthias
Matthias Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #34
Major Player

Stabilization?

Were the shaky bits on the train platform and walking through the dark with the stabilization turned on? It does have stabilization, right?

If it was on, this thing's as bad as my Sony A1U handheld.

I don't know how Canon does it, but the microscopic Vixia HF100 is actually useable handheld with their optical stabilizer.... wish other manufacturers could learn that trick.
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #35
Major Player

Thanks for the review. To be honest the picture quality was not earth shattering. At least not enough to fork off 3.5 grand. The deal breakers: lack of wide lens, lack of separate focus/zoom and poor image stabilization (judging by the hand held footage). Sorry, but for this price it should be much better- no sale here, saving for EX1 now.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #36
Regular Crew

I am sold on the camera and will be ordering one. Phil's review isn't really a review as such - it's a hands-on, first impressions, from-the-gut feeling put to pictures, music and words. It's heavily stylized with Bloom written all over it - and that's a good thing. There will be plenty of reviews in due course where each and every pixel is deconstructed, examined in minute detail, poked and prodded, regurgitated with a sea of detailed numbers. And quite right too, everyone needs a bit of that. But for now, we have Phil's impressions to deal with, and impressive they are. It must say something if the man himself wants one.

I shoot news for UK tv (SD) and would like something really small to use for inaccessible filming locations (mountains etc) where dragging my DSR-450 would be impossible. I'd like to get into the HD workflow, so this camera seems pretty ideal. Phil's impressions pretty much sealed it for me. My criteria: tapeless, small, professional sound input control, small, decent picture, good build quality, did I say small?

I think if you're looking to buy something as a single purchase, a sole camera to use (instead of a 'B' camera) then you might be disappointed. On the other hand I personally would not consider an EX-1. I would consider the HM700, but really I'm hoping that by the time I can ditch the 450, Sony will have the proper shoulder-mounted EX5 out and that will be my main camera :-)

I think the picture quality from the HM100 looks great - these are 1/4 inch sensors! The ungraded pics were super. If it's not wide enough, there's a wide adapter allegedly available. Image stabilization has to be used with care - personally I don't think it was switched on at all in Phil's video - he makes excellent use of the Cinesaddle.

I think the price will come down a bit after 6 months or so. Here in the UK, I would expect about 2200 plus the VAT. But I'm shooting up a mountain in NC next month so will have to bite the bullet. Still sold :-)

Cotty
Steve Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cottrell View Post

I shoot news for UK tv (SD) and would like something really small to use for inaccessible filming locations (mountains etc) where dragging my DSR-450 would be impossible. I'd like to get into the HD workflow, so this camera seems pretty ideal. Phil's impressions pretty much sealed it for me. My criteria: tapeless, small, professional sound input control, small, decent picture, good build quality, did I say small?
Cotty
I am an owner of JVC GY-HD100 and as far as durability it by far the worst camera I have ever owned. I shoot climbing footage and this camera doesn't even come close to durability of HVX200 or DVX100 by Panasonic. Sony is also tough, not JVC. I had 3 repairs on it, by far JVC has THE WORST customer support ever! (Mr Yanagi- are you listening?). On the other hand Sony was just the opposite, so don't count on quick help if you have a brake down.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #38
Major Player

Very very nice and entertaining to boot. It would be great to see the HM 100 and 700 intercut into a sequence.

Thanks for the review.
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:33 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
I am an owner of JVC GY-HD100 and as far as durability it by far the worst camera I have ever owned. I shoot climbing footage and this camera doesn't even come close to durability of HVX200 or DVX100 by Panasonic. Sony is also tough, not JVC. I had 3 repairs on it, by far JVC has THE WORST customer support ever! (Mr Yanagi- are you listening?). On the other hand Sony was just the opposite, so don't count on quick help if you have a brake down.
Interesting - I have no experience of JVC's professional products, or their customer support. Here in the UK, I deal with professional equipment dealers and any follow up (including warranty work) is done through them. I've never spoken to anyone any customer support for my kit except the Anton Bauer techies at Vinten House. Never a need. I appreciate your sentiment though, thanks.

Cotty
Steve Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:31 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Reliable Camera and Great Product Support from JVC Canada

Steve,

I’m sure I’m not alone in saying that many of us who have owned and used JVC’s GY-HD100 for the past 4 years have had much better experiences than Robert has with his camera. I have personally had mine fall off a tripod from shoulder height as well as knocked over while on a tripod, both times onto hard surfaces, and have been amazed that all it suffered was relatively minor external damage (cracked handle and shattered viewfinder housing – less than $500 Canadian in total). Moreover, both my dealer (HMV) and JVC Canada have be more than quick to process any warranty repairs or upgrades when needed. With the exception of a few dead pixels, which were easily repaired, I have nothing but good things to say about the HD100’s reliability.

I have already pre-ordered my HM100 and can only say that Phil Bloom’s ungraded footage looks stunning to me. In a few weeks, I am heading off to Africa for a month to film a doc and the compact form factor, tapeless SDHC recording format, and pro audio features make it the perfect camera for such a project. I am more that willing to live with its apparently modest low-light performance and fully expect that JVC will stand solidly behind this new camera as they have with their other products.

I am hoping to visit friends in the Lake District again this summer and am looking forward to being able to capture its beauty with the HM100 and enjoy it’s travel-friendly form factor.

Cheers!

Michael Lafleur

Last edited by Michael Lafleur; April 21st, 2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: typo
Michael Lafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:32 AM   #41
Major Player

Low Light

Thanks very much for the review Philip. It had made my mind up, subject to a hefty demo session, when it is released. I think we may be making a little to much of the low light perfomance of the HM 100. I shoot Weddings, and have done so since 1982. In all those years I have never had a problem with low light in a church, even with the tube cameras of the early 80s, when 30 lux rating was thought to be good. A few days ago, out of interest I took my Canon XH-A1 and HV30 to our local church. The church is extremely dark, and to my suprise the little HV30 delivered far cleaner pictures than the XH-A1. Both cameras were hooked up, via component, to a 42 inch Panasonic HD plasma. The XH-A1 needed 12db gain to get a decent picture inside the church, ( I normally never go above 6db). The noise, on screen was very prominent, compared to the HV30. Now if the HV30 can give a more than exceptable picture, under such adverse conditions, I am hoping that the HM 100 can do better. Time will tell, it is going to be interesting testing this little fella out.
Old April 27th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #42
Major Player

re XH-A1 lowlight

Colin, try with XH-A1 this custom preset (for lowlight with +12dB gain):
gam1, kne L, BLK M, PED -2, SET -3, SHP 0, HDF M (!), DHV 0(!), COR 2, NR1 0, NR2 L, CMX1, CGN 12 CPH -1, rest 0.

It is brighter than GAM normal +6dB, but there is less noise than GAM normal +12dB.

HV20 has CMOS, not CCD.

GY-HM100 looks very goog, but my XH-A1 must make some work, I think .-) .
Pavel Sedlak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems