DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/mpg4-sanyo-xacti-all-models/)
-   -   Sanyo HD1 footage! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/mpg4-sanyo-xacti-all-models/58228-sanyo-hd1-footage.html)

Jung Kyu January 13th, 2006 04:03 PM

Sanyo HD1 footage!

SANYO HD1 footage

..i see little artifact but MUCH better than HVX..the color looks very rich..like film~ sounds too good for $799

http://citv.dip.jp/hd06/sanyo-hd1.wmv

Steev Dinkins January 13th, 2006 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jung Kyu
SANYO HD1 footage
..i see little artifact but MUCH better than HVX

Heh heh.. You're cruisin' for a bruisin' with that comment.

Quote:

..the color looks very rich..like film~ sounds too good for $799

I think it might be fun to pick one up as a cheap ass 2nd camera unit. The thing is obviously a toy compared to the HVX200, but I think it's pretty nice looking for a cheapy.

Stephen L. Noe January 13th, 2006 04:26 PM

Lovely and beautiful children. Thank you for sharing the footage.

The color is nice and saturated. Isn't it a great time in video? You can capture a very realistic and detailed image of your loved ones and place it on DVD to share with future generations very easily. Honestly it's the reason I got into video to begin with many years ago.

All the best and keep shooting,

Kevin Shaw January 13th, 2006 04:38 PM

Quote:

..i see little artifact but MUCH better than HVX...

Did you mean to say better than HDV?

Not bad footage coming from such a small, inexpensive camera.

Jeff Kilgroe January 13th, 2006 05:11 PM

Heh.

Not bad for that little camera. Lots of aliasing on high contrast edges - look at the black/white on the boy's hat. Some other weird things going on with the color too, but resolution is excellent. There tends to be a lot of noise in the out of focus areas too.

MSRP is $799 and I bet street/mail-order price will be under $680. Would make a decent toy and probably better video quality than a cheap DV camcorder.

Dan Euritt January 13th, 2006 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe
Lots of aliasing on high contrast edges - look at the black/white on the boy's hat. Some other weird things going on with the color too, but resolution is excellent. There tends to be a lot of noise in the out of focus areas too.

it appears to have been re-compressed into the windows media format; it's not the actual source footage from the camera.

Steven Thomas January 13th, 2006 10:54 PM

You know what, it's not bad for $800.
I don't think it has any competition at $800

Actually I did not think it would look that good.

Enjoy

Kaku Ito January 13th, 2006 11:47 PM

I would want this kind of cameras to do good onbaord for xtreme sports events. Always been looking in since the large cameras and wireless connection is pain to do anything for onboard shooting. For SD, Samsung has one, Panasonic has this . Especially, check the SDR-300 with special rigid chassis.

I checked the old Sanyo time to time and the new Panasonic out at camera shops in Shibuya, Panasonic felt really nice.

What I noticed on this Sanyo is that they use the organic electric light (not sure if the words are correct) which is 5000 times faster response time than normal LCD which probably don't have any problems playing back interlaced video. I would not give up on HVX200 against this, but something like this is a perfect companion around when you are shooting with HVX, then do some staff shots and some documentary around the shooting.

Kaku Ito January 13th, 2006 11:51 PM

and by the way, the person in charge with video cameras at Sanyo is very good friend of Apple, I hear he directly associates with Steve Jobs, so no exception to this, DMX-HD1 implements QuickTime 7 which is really hot for Mac users.

Ron Evans January 14th, 2006 11:42 AM

My player will not play this file, Media Player says not support file type.

Ron Evans

Lynne Whelden January 14th, 2006 04:59 PM

Hey, Chris...

How about giving this camera its own category? There's a lot of us who would use this camera as our PRIMARY one for the extreme sports we're involved in. (In my case, I shoot backpacking videos and always need the lightest tool available.) Instead of dissing it as a toy or as falling beneath some unstated spec that nobody can define, let's give it all the support we can muster. If High Def is to get off the ground, it's got to penetrate the masses. This is the sort of camera that's going to do that.
I've always said that the best shots remain untaken. Why is that? Because we never have the camera handy when that perfect shot occurs. This camera comes closer to the "perfect" camera because we might actually be able to carry it on our person. Plus we could shoot even less obtrusively than the next smallest by Sony.
If Sanyo senses that the video community is interested in what they're doing, they'll come back with even better gear next time around. How about it?

Bill Southworth January 14th, 2006 06:21 PM

small cameras

I have a tiny JVC GZ-MC500 that I carry with me everywhere. I just never know when a jetliner will land in the middle of the highway ahead of me, or a tornado will strike downtown Boston. Actually, it does pretty decent 16x9 and records for over an hour on a 6GB microdrive. My only real complaints are noise in low light, lens susceptability to glare, and NO external mike inputs. Nevertheless, it has come in very handy for two camera music shoots. I put the XL2 on a tripod and wander with the MC-500. With good light the quality is almost identical. One trick I use is to stick the MC-500 on the end of a mike boom and I can hold the half pound camera 10' in the air over the subject.

When my HVX-200 finally arrives and the XL2 is retired or sold, I suspect that I'll still be using the MC-500. There's a lot to be said for very small cameras.

Graham Mullis January 14th, 2006 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans

Ron Evans

Same here.

Les Dit January 14th, 2006 09:41 PM

I'm impressed by that test footage.
I wonder what *this* little cam does with the ol res chart ... he he he ;)

Are these in stores yet. I want one, for the 'always have the cam' reasons.

Interesting times, when a 8oz camera has more image detail than the top grade 3 chip DV cameras still on the market. I'm all for the underdog.

-Les

Hse Kha January 15th, 2006 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden
How about giving this camera its own category? There's a lot of us who would use this camera as our PRIMARY one for the extreme sports we're involved in. (In my case, I shoot backpacking videos and always need the lightest tool available.) Instead of dissing it as a toy or as falling beneath some unstated spec that nobody can define, let's give it all the support we can muster. If High Def is to get off the ground, it's got to penetrate the masses. This is the sort of camera that's going to do that.
I've always said that the best shots remain untaken. Why is that? Because we never have the camera handy when that perfect shot occurs. This camera comes closer to the "perfect" camera because we might actually be able to carry it on our person. Plus we could shoot even less obtrusively than the next smallest by Sony.
If Sanyo senses that the video community is interested in what they're doing, they'll come back with even better gear next time around. How about it?

I posted this thread a while ago:-

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=57556

The response was that this camcorder was not "worthy" of it's own section...

Hse Kha January 15th, 2006 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans

Ron Evans

Same Here.

How are you guys playing this clip??? I have the latest WMP10 with SP2 and nothing!

What is the codec of the video?

Lynne Whelden January 15th, 2006 08:31 AM

March

I read somewhere that it will be available in March. Since we can't convince folks that HD is HD no matter what wrapper it comes in (who would have dared to think that 4 years ago?), we'll just have to start using it and let folks get on board later.

Dan Euritt January 15th, 2006 11:00 AM

like i said before, it's the windows media format, however, it's been encoded at an insanely high bitrate, something like 8 mbps, which is a comparable bitrate to the mpeg2 used for dvd's.

the difference is, and the reason that it probably won't play on your computers, is because these new codecs require a lot of decoding horsepower, aka, a fast modern computer... for instance, the windows media 10 software player recommended requirements are: "Video card with 256 MB of RAM or higher and DirectX 9.0b or later generation".

the playback framerate that i was seeing with the test clip in this thread was maybe 1 fps, lol, on the ancient amd 2100(?) cpu that i have.

Chris Hurd January 15th, 2006 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden
How about giving this camera its own category?

If there's enough demand for it (such as, a bunch of folks asking for it) and enough existing threads (I don't start empty fora, ten or twenty threads are usually required) then sure I'll add one.

By the way, this topic has been moved from the HVX board to the general HD acquisition forum.

Holger Leonhard January 15th, 2006 11:22 AM

My system only was able to see the last seconds of the clip (the boy with the ice cream) - I guess there is something wrong with the file.
Anyway, The cam may look like a toy but it isnīt!
My Inpression: slight artifacts (I guess a big part comes from the additional compression to .wmv), neutral colors, surprisingly good resolution and the DOF is nice - Iīd like to know on what Iris and focal length the shot was done. The Imager is 1/2.5'' and therefore a bit larger than all other prosumer cams, maybe this has has an relatively strong effect to the DOF.
I played around with color correction and found some fine results to give a filmic look.
Maybe a nice intermediate camera to prepare serious work. For 800 $ itīs amazing! I guess on a controlled set with proper lighting you can get very good results with this "toy".
I'm curious to see some low light footage.

Hse Kha January 15th, 2006 12:14 PM

Chris - You sure you won't reconsider a new section for this toy??? ;) I am sure it will have many pro applications too, as Kaku mentioned above. Besides the Sony HC1 is a consumer camera too and that has its own section! I think a lot of people are interested (curious?) about this Sanyo camera and it would be nice to have a seperate albeit small section dedicated to this camera. Or maybe even a section called "other HD cameras", so that if other new consumer HD camcorders are announced they can be discussed there.

Ron Evans January 15th, 2006 02:20 PM

I still can't play this file. I get a message that says the file format does not match the file extension. My system is a dual core AMD X2 4200, 2G of RAM and a 256M X700 video card. What version of Media player are you running mine is the latest version 10 with the latest Direct X 9.

Ron Evans

Steev Dinkins January 15th, 2006 02:22 PM

I'm surprised Windows users can't view the file. I'm on a Mac (Quad G5), using Flip4Mac to view it, and it plays in QuickTime Player pretty well. I converted it to DVCPRO HD format to view it easier.

Holger Leonhard January 15th, 2006 02:29 PM

I checked the footage if there is real resolution gain over PAL: Yes, is is!
If you take a still from the 720p footage, downrez it to PAL (720 x 576) and back to 1280 x 720 there is a very clear difference. So the optical system really captures the resolution.

The footage on

http://images.akihabaranews.com/news...1/SANY0001.MP4

shows an interresting thing - the unsharp background is very noisy, but it is a kind of soft noise that looks more like film grain then harsh, digital noise.

But I am dissapointed the EU version also only shots 30p, no 25 p :-(

Les Dit January 15th, 2006 03:42 PM

potential for hires 720p here

The resolution may be higher than some of the currently debated HD cams.
Crazy?
Well, it's getting the image from a five megapixel sensor, using all of it, not a cropped part of it. They don't need to be shy about the pixel count like the other HD cams ( HVX ;)
They filter this 5 MP image down to the 720p size. The filter is not great quality, as evidenced by the aliasing on the ice cream boys hat, but it's possible that was in combination with the debayer filter as well.

I'm very aware that resolution is just one of many features that make a device 'pro' ready. It's not a pro camera by any means.

If I was a betting man, I'd say it's going to eclipse some of the cams in resolution at least. And it weighs as much as a battery for the other cams. Nice little key chain cam.

-Les

Matt Vanecek January 15th, 2006 04:47 PM

Unable to play the WMV

I cannot play the WMV file in WMP, either. My machine is as up-to-date as the latest MS updates, with plenty of horsepower and memory, etc. Either the Mac encoder puts something weird in the WMV file produced, or the Web host is sending the file with an incorrect mime type (e.g., mysite.verizon.net, if you try to open a WMV in IE, will send the file as text or some such crap).

Thanks,
matt

Kurth Bousman January 15th, 2006 06:33 PM

I tried with safari and firefox but couldn't get it playing. I've also got flip4mac on a 1.5g pwb. Well , I did get a frame - the baby appeared to be out of focus and focus , on the frame appeared to be at infinity. It's the future and the next 3 years , while the market changes to hd ,will be sooo much fun. Ever since I saw the danish movie , The Celebration , I thought there's incredible filmic possibilities for minicams. If Sanyo , which is no market leader to speak of , is releasing this cam now , we can expect the same hd flash drive cameras from at least two big boys , obviously jvc will be one , in the next 6 months , and probably of higher quality. For one , the Sanyos' ergonomics don't appeal to me. I'm hoping Sony will release one in their traditional designs or , what would be cool is Pany releasing the super 8 inspired one we saw in mockups. If 35 years ago , when super 8 cost 5 bucks a throw , someone told me that in I'd be able to record better than super 8 quality and all the cartridges would be free, before I kicked in the towel , I'd have been a very happy camper. Kurth

William Hohauser January 15th, 2006 08:39 PM

It plays with the most recent Flip4Mac update. However my home computer, a G4 imac, could only manage the file in a continuous frame-by-frame at best. So I was able to look at the footage in slow motion. Two notes:

1) Both the clarity and color are very impressive. What sort of image element is being used here?

2) Both shots were in the shade. It would be interesting to see how the camera performs under more direct sunlight.

Ainslie Davies January 15th, 2006 09:10 PM

The clip plays perfectly on my WMP10 with my little 2.8ghz celeron stretched all the way to 3.4ghz. Plus my video card is currently not in my PC so i'm getting perfect playback through a celeron with on-board graphics! Maybe I have some random codec stashed away in there!

The footage is very impressive! Can we be sure its from that lil' Sanyo?

Jung Kyu January 15th, 2006 09:28 PM

the soruce footage came from this website... you need to login to download..

yes~ this footage is really sanyo Xacti DMX-HD1

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article...060112/112280/

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 15th, 2006 10:06 PM

I didn't get to shoot with this cam at CES, but did see what they had for demo footage on a big screen. It was ridiculously good without factoring in the price, and then with the price tossed on...was pretty impressive.

Steve Crisdale January 16th, 2006 12:27 AM

To all those folks having trouble using Windows Media Player 10 (WMP10)... Download the free - yes FREE Windows Media Player Classic AND/OR the free Video Lan Client (VLC) and your playback problems will be over.

I've never got Microsofts Media Player to work correctly, and I doubt it will ever be as stable as either of these free players!!

I haven't watched the Sanyo clip, and at 8Mbit it doesn't sound like it would hold up terribly well. Certainly no better than DVD quality - which for a HD/HDV camcorder isn't doing it any justice. It's just a "guide" for those who might be interested, but a full bitrate clip in the raw format as captured by the cam would be more enlightening.

Les Dit January 16th, 2006 12:48 AM

8 megabit wmv files can look very good. The sanyo video has a lot more information in it than a dvd.
Dvd's are about 7 megabit, with decade old mpeg2 compression technology.
Media 9 files can have close to twice the visual information content per given data rate, as the codec is a lot better than the old mpeg 2 stuff.

Too bad the HDV cameras are still using mpeg2.
-Les

Steve Crisdale January 16th, 2006 01:57 AM

Perhaps I should have said "8Mbit wouldn't do justice to the full bitrate of the original HD video".

I have never ever been able to get a 8Mbit WMV9 HD 1080 clip to look anywhere near as good as a 18Mbit WMV9 HD 1080 clip, regardless of the settings of the encoder.

That's why Kaku Ito's uncompressed or raw files straight from the cameras he has used prior to their release and posted here so generously have to date been the best indicator of actual HD/HDV performance I've seen.

WMV9's and other re-rendered, downsampled or otherwise "doctored" clips are great for giving an indication of what is possible; however, I'd suggest that only clips straight from the cam will truly represent what the camera can achieve.

Mind you, I'm not dissin' on the cam or it's performance. I may even go and get one to add to my HD/HDV cam collection!!

Jung Kyu January 16th, 2006 09:31 AM

i heard superman returns was shot on 12megas pixel camera.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/supermanreturns/hd/

if sanyo hd1 can output raw footage by usb2.0 it could compete with professional film camera.

Ron Evans January 16th, 2006 10:24 AM

Finally got it to play. I had originally just downloaded the file and then tried to play. This time I let MP10 download and then saved. It now plays just fine on my lowest powered Sempron 3000 with integrated graphics!! The image looks very good. I too would like to know how it performs in lower light levels. This technology with more capable lens and controls would be a very interesting addition and would give the latest HDV/P2 cameras a real run for their money. Certainly a lot easier to carry around than my FX1!!!! I have been looking for something to replace my Sony PC10 and this might just be the one.

Ron Evans

Ainslie Davies January 16th, 2006 02:31 PM

I think that I may have jumped the gun in my praise to this camera. Yes it would be great for $800 but there is alot of artifacting on skintones and solid colours. Take a look at how the dof is presented when shallow in the clip with the boy and the ice cream?

With the deal about the bitrate, this is only 1280x720 not 1920x1080 or 1440xXXX. 8mbs should not cause compression problems, have a look at the "Lucid" Clips with the FX1 at www.hd-channel.com/programme.html despite it's lack of english, I think you should get it. The clips there are just under 7mbs.

Ron Evans January 16th, 2006 02:50 PM

Well now that I have got it to play I don't see any of the artifacting your talking about. Could you be specific about what part of the image. I have played it several times now trying to see anything in the dark areas without seeing anything of concern. In fact the more I view the more impressed I am. The Samsung might be even better.

Ron Evans

Ainslie Davies January 16th, 2006 03:08 PM

Are you viewing on a 720p monitor? Try pausing at 6sec then have a look at the black pants to the right of the frame from 20-26sec. It's just me being picky but for the price, I would say nothing comes close!

Edit - It maybe looks like compression problems on camera because doesn't it use the less-than-perfect mpeg1?

Ron Evans January 16th, 2006 03:28 PM

I have moved the file over to my editing computer and viewed it on my Dell2405 monitor and am even more impressed. However I do now see some shimmering on the green shirt of the boy with the icecream. Seems to occur when he brings the cone to his mouth so could be a shadowing effect. For the cost of the camera this is minor. In a $10000 camera I would be upset, maybe!!! Having looked at the baby again the detail in the trees in the far backround is very impressive though. I will really look forward to the summer!!! Samsung version is forcast for August in Canada not sure of the Sanyo.

Ron Evans