C100: With Rode NTG3 & WS7 Plus Canon 10-22mm Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old December 8th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Inner Circle

C100: With Rode NTG3 & WS7 Plus Canon 10-22mm Lens

Just a FYI everybody.

I tried packing the mic mount on the C100 with foam and put the Rode NTG-3 on it, in a Rode WS7 windshield. With the Canon 10-22mm EF-S lens, the dead cat/windshield is well into frame top-right, even with the NTG-3 slid further back than I think it should be in the Canon mic clamp. With only the Rode foam cover on then it's possible to get it outside the frame when the lens is set at full wide - just! I know you can set a EF-S setting on the C100 that crops the image in a little but I'm suspicious what this slight digital zooming will do to the image quality - until I can find time to check that. If I zoom to about 14mm I can get the windshield out of frame.

It's going to be great getting highly detailed/sharp images with this ultra wide angle on the C100....:-)

Going forward, I think I will probably either buy a shorter mic (NTG-2 maybe), take the handle off and use my Rode Videomic Pro, or more likely just take the C100 mic holder off completely (like I did with my EX3, it's just 2 screws) and then use a spare Rycote Invision Video mount that I have. That will put the mic higher up and out of frame (as well as being an excellent/superior lyre suspension based shock mount). However, it of course means I that would not be able to easily use the front shoe for anything else. My Sennheiser G2 series radio mic receiver will probably get mounted via the screw attachment on the back handle anyway but I'd like to leave that position clear for a future Ninja 2 - if I eventually decide I really need that.
Old December 8th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: C100: With Rode NTG3 & WS7 Plus Canon 10-22mm Lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Just a FYI everybody.

I tried packing the mic mount on the C100 with foam and put the Rode NTG-3 on it, in a Rode WS7 windshield. With the Canon 10-22mm EF-S lens, the dead cat/windshield is well into frame top-right, even with the NTG-3 slid further back than I think it should be in the Canon mic clamp. With only the Rode foam cover on then it's possible to get it outside the frame when the lens is set at full wide - just! I know you can set a EF-S setting on the C100 that crops the image in a little but I'm suspicious what this slight digital zooming will do to the image quality - until I can find time to check that. If I zoom to about 14mm I can get the windshield out of frame.

It's going to be great getting highly detailed/sharp images with this ultra wide angle on the C100....:-)

Going forward, I think I will probably either buy a shorter mic (NTG-2 maybe), take the handle off and use my Rode Videomic Pro, or more likely just take the C100 mic holder off completely (like I did with my EX3, it's just 2 screws) and then use a spare Rycote Invision Video mount that I have. That will put the mic higher up and out of frame (as well as being an excellent/superior lyre suspension based shock mount). However, it of course means I that would not be able to easily use the front shoe for anything else. My Sennheiser G2 series radio mic receiver will probably get mounted via the screw attachment on the back handle anyway but I'd like to leave that position clear for a future Ninja 2 - if I eventually decide I really need that.
I have the NTG-2 and it doesnt show up on my 16-35L. I am a little disappointed that I have to pretty much smash the foam in order to have the clamp the mic in
Old December 9th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Here are some quick snaps of the set-up. Note that I've just got the NTG-3 quickly packed into the C100 mic clamp with bubble wrap as a very temp measure! Also note that the NTG-3 has been "pushed back" in the clamp as far as I'd dare go to try and keep it out of frame when the WS7 is on. I'd rather it was about an inch further forward (as that's how I usually use it on my EX3) as that ensures all the vents are within the assembly and unblocked by the end collar of the WS7.

Gives everyone an idea of just how far forward the end of windshield is!!!

As mentioned before, with this lens a minimum of about 14mm, maybe 15mm to be safe, is the limit before it all comes into view on the frame - without the EF-S push in digital zoom feature enabled.
Attached Thumbnails
C100: With Rode NTG3 & WS7 Plus Canon 10-22mm Lens-c100-10-22-rode-ntg3-ws7-button-side.jpg   C100: With Rode NTG3 & WS7 Plus Canon 10-22mm Lens-c100-10-22-rode-ntg3-ws7-grip-side.jpg  

C100: With Rode NTG3 & WS7 Plus Canon 10-22mm Lens-c100-10-22-rode-ntg3-ws7-angled-view.jpg  
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:25 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Just to finish this off - here are some snaps of my solution.

This is the Canon C100 with the AT875r shotgun mic - as well as one of my older Senny G2 receivers mounted above the handle. Again, this is with my ultrawide Canon 10-22mm on the camera. Indoor shots as it's blummin cold out there right now!

I've shown the AT875r with and without an old Rode deadcat on it - for now (the one off my original Videomic). That deadcat is a bit overlong for such a short mic and I can just see some hair in the top of frame at full wide. Without this deadcat on there is no problem, even at 10mm. With a better deadcat I'm sure it'll be fine. By the way, I noticed after I'd taken the pics that the mic is about 5mm too far back in the mic clamp - risk of foam rubbing on the clamp making noise - just so you know I know! Gives you an idea of how much shorter this arrangement is anyway.

The AT875r seems to be a very good (and very economical) choice if you need a short shotgun, from both the reviews I've read as well as from my initial experiences with it. It only cost me £100 including delivery from a UK eBay seller, thanks to a tip from a fellow forum member :-)

I've also recently bought a AT4053b, mainly for indoor interview work - that one's a really lovely mic too!
Attached Thumbnails
C100: With Rode NTG3 & WS7 Plus Canon 10-22mm Lens-c100-at875r-control-side.jpg   C100: With Rode NTG3 & WS7 Plus Canon 10-22mm Lens-c100-at875r-grip-side.jpg  

C100: With Rode NTG3 & WS7 Plus Canon 10-22mm Lens-c100-at875r-rode-deadcat-control-side.jpg   C100: With Rode NTG3 & WS7 Plus Canon 10-22mm Lens-c100-at875r-rode-deadcat-grip-side.jpg  

Old January 17th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Where did you get the hotshoe adapter on the backside of the handle from?
Old January 17th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Peter,

It's not ideal but I needed something quickly. I have to say I was surprised at how difficult it was to find a single item that easily turned the 1/4 threaded hole into a cold shoe position - so it is in fact 2 items, or in truth 3 as there is an old plumbers tap washer in that lot too!

As you can see both were from Amazon UK - but I'm sure you'll find them (or something similar) from reputable US camera suppliers - or even the .com amazon site.

Note that all you really need for a Sennheiser G2 (or G3) reciever is probably the 1/4 inch stud - as that can fit directly into the threaded brass hole in the bottom of the G2's shoe - but it'll be more awkward to line everything up so I went with this idea for now. Also, note that the stud will "bottom out" before the hex nut gets anywhere near the top surface of the C100s threaded hole in the handle.
Old January 17th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info Im gonna try and find a cold shoe mount because I have a few of the screws from some old Jag35 pieces I can use.
Old January 17th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #8
Regular Crew

This little guy works just fine: https://secure.bhphotovideo.com/c/se...op+Nav-Search=

Not really optimal for my setup here, but the adapter itself is solid.
Attached Thumbnails
C100: With Rode NTG3 & WS7 Plus Canon 10-22mm Lens-hx9c5911.jpg  
Andrew Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #9
Major Player

Id love a solution for the shotgun holder like there is available for the EX1, just a small metal plate with two slots. the damn shotgun holder doesn't even hold the mic snug. I have an NTG1, and a Rode Video Mic.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
Id love a solution for the shotgun holder like there is available for the EX1, just a small metal plate with two slots. the damn shotgun holder doesn't even hold the mic snug. I have an NTG1, and a Rode Video Mic.
Agreed. I've got an AT4073a, which I assume is the same size. I cut a bit of 1/8" thick rubber, wrapped it around the mic with a bit of gaffe tape, and that fits snugly. Wish I didn't have to do that of course, but it works.

I think someone mentioned using a hotshoe mounted shockmount (e.g. Rode SM3, which is great), but then you're down a hotshoe.

RDE Microphones - SM3
Andrew Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #11
New Boot

I don't really understand why one would prefer a short mic like the AT875R over the built-in mic in the handle. In my testing, the audio quality of the built-in, reach and off-axis rejection are quite decent, almost as good as my $1000 Sennheiser. And, if you're relying on an on-camera mic to capture audio, one could throw $$$$ at the problem and not get much better results. Am I missing something, or is it just our attachment to the idea that more is more?
Steven Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Yes in-built mics on the C100 are pretty decent and give a good option, especially indoors or outside on a still day, or perhaps in a light breeze. The audio pre-amps on the C100 are excellent too - if you use XLR mics as mentioned in other threads on here.

We all know a camera located mic (in-built or mounted on) is about the worst place. But at least with my on-camera shotgun choices, NTG-3 or now AT875r, I have the opportunity to put some decent wind protection on them and also isolate them more from camera handling noise.

I've found the C100s in-built mics are (understandably) susceptible in that respect - not bad (you should hear the mics on my little TM900 in a slight breeze for a definition of bad!) - but potentially problematic.

With the nature of the kind of shooting I sometimes need to do for clients, fast paced run-n-gun in all sorts of environments, I really need a solution that eliminates (as much as possible) those audio headaches that one cannot always sort in post.

A good mic, mounted in a decent shock mount (ideally Rycote Lyre based suspension system) with some wind protection on it is where I'm trying to get with this. But that doesn't mean I won't use those good in-built mics now and again! Every job is different and situations vary - its all about having well thought out options in my kit bag.

Bottom line, Canon did a fine job with the audio design on the C100.
Old January 20th, 2013, 02:37 PM   #13
New Boot

Looks like this mount will bolt on in place of the stock mount: Softie® Lyre® Mount with MHR » Rycote
Scott Squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 02:49 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Thanks Scott for posting this potentially very useful link.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems