Best DVD printer - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 17th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I've been using the Epson R800 for 3 years without a problem with hundreds of discs printed. If you don't use it regularly (at least once every couple of weeks) the inkjets nozzles can dry and clog. If they do you run the head cleaning utility, which wastes a bunch of ink but fixes it. Ink cartridges run $13 x 7 = $91. Expensive but it no secret that all printer manufactures make their money on the ink. I've recently been playing with generic ink, seems fine but I've heard it can clog your heads, although I haven't had a problem. As far as quality goes if you get the more expensive water shield dics the quality is so high I can't imagine anything being better, looks like a glossy photo.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; June 18th, 2009 at 03:59 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #17
Trustee

I've been using the Epson R380 for many years now, and I've printed thousands of dvds, brochures, and documents with it. I would HIGHLY recommend installing a continuous ink supply system (ciss) by supersmartelectronics. I've tried other systems, but this supersmart system works flawlessly from the very start. No more worries about expensive ink cartridges! I got my kit for less than $70 and it's so worth it.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Thx Warren. I'll have to keep them in mind next time I need ink. I went to their web site but I'm not completely sure how it works. I see the inks in a transparent plastic compartments attached to a ribbon cable.
Old June 18th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
I went to their web site but I'm not completely sure how it works. I see the inks in a transparent plastic compartments attached to a ribbon cable.
That is correct. Ink are in external tanks, sitting next to the printer. The ribbon (actually tubes for the ink) goes inside, and the head replaces your ink cartridges. One tank of ink will last a very, very long time! Quality is superb too. You won't see any difference compared to genuine ink. Also, I've NEVER had a problem with clogged/dirty heads at all, which I couldn't believe.

The process of installing the system is easy, it comes with the detailed instructions. The installation also resets the cartridge chips, telling the printer that all ink cartridges are full. Eventually, as you do a lot of printing, you'll see that one of your colors (most likely black) is almost empty (although the external tanks are still full.) You'll either get an error saying there's no ink or that the cartridges aren't recognized. At this point, simply turn off your printer for 2 minutes, and the chip resets itself. All your ink levels will appear full again. This system is so simple...it's truly a no brainer.

When your external tanks eventually empties (one tankful will last way over 2 years, even with every day printing) simply refill it with their replacement bulk ink. The bulk ink is very inexpensive too.

In all honesty, I would consider this CISS system in the category of "one of the most incredible discoveries."
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Thx for explaining it to me.
Old October 8th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Just going to chime in here real quick to say that the XLNT Idea machines are absolute rubbish. Had nothing but problems and shoddy tech support with ours.

The arm fails to grab discs, it almost always prints yellow instead of black unless you pull the color cartridge and blot the head with a paper towel, and the software crashes frequently. It even broke it's own arm off and we had to get a refurbed unit which ended up being a hassle.

If you're looking for a high output machine, don't even consider these guys.
Paul Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim OBrien View Post
I ran my Epson R200 to death over many years.
Had too many problems with Epson's ink-cartridges tho.

Just replaced it with an HP D5460 and I'm very happy with the results EXCEPT:
The disc design software they include really SUCKS.

Luckily I found Acoustica CD Label Maker for $20 which supports direct printing to disc for many models of printers.

Just ran off 120 dvds of a play my son was in for the cast and crew and everyone was very happy....
I used an Epson R800 for 4 years. High quality prints, archival inks, easy to use software, expensive cartridges, and issues with heads clogging from not using frequently enough. Unfortunately, I screwed it up using CISS.
Epson has unfortunately discontinued R800, the replacement is the R1900, which on the expensive side, $400 after $150 rebate, and very big and heavy, but if you have a need to print large high quality photos and can serve two purposes.

Now I own a HP D7560. Good quality prints, replaceable head (although its an expensive part), expensive cartridges, bad dvd printing software (I've opted to instead use Photoshop with a custom template I created), bad loading tray (every few dvds you have to open and close the tray and then resend the job. very annoying), leaves streaks for some reason on the surface of water shielded discs.
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
Now I own a HP D7560. Good quality prints, replaceable head (although its an expensive part), expensive cartridges, bad dvd printing software (I've opted to instead use Photoshop with a custom template I created), bad loading tray (every few dvds you have to open and close the tray and then resend the job. very annoying), leaves streaks for some reason on the surface of water shielded discs.
I use a HP D7560, too. My experience with it is almost the same as yours. I don't use water shielded discs; mine are plain white and the quality is excellent. I use MagicMouse as the printing software: incredibly intuitive and slick. Like you (I gather), I don't like having to open/close the loading tray every so often. Minor quibbles, IMHO.

Steve
Steven Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #24
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Steven Reid;1429866]I use a HP D7560, too. My experience with it is almost the same as yours. I don't use water shielded discs; mine are plain white and the quality is excellent. I use MagicMouse as the printing software: incredibly intuitive and slick. Like you (I gather), I don't like having to open/close the loading tray every so often. Minor quibbles, IMHO.

Oh I have more than minor quibbles. It drives me crazy you try to print 2 simple disks and after the first disk, the whole printer preperation and then nothing.

I can see a blurb in the local paper coming soon about the local video person who beat a printer to death with a sledge hammer.
Old October 16th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sirb View Post
Oh I have more than minor quibbles. It drives me crazy you try to print 2 simple disks and after the first disk, the whole printer preperation and then nothing.

I can see a blurb in the local paper coming soon about the local video person who beat a printer to death with a sledge hammer.
Haha. Well, in that case, you'd at least have one completed disk and then a 'smashing' good reason to find a new printer. (I thought the printer prep was an odd artifact of Vista x64, the HP software, or both, which I intended to get rid of when I upgrade to Win 7. Guess I was wrong...)
Steven Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #26
Regular Crew

I'm using XP. I did have a couple of Epson's that tho they were slower than the HP, I could set it up for say 25 disks and it would print 25 disks. the most I've been able to do with the HP ( and I also have the 5460..same thing) is 10 and that's with brand new cartridges. to me, it seems the less ink in the cartridges, the more it wants to do printer prep.

I'd get a canon in a heartbeat, but it's gettig harder to figure out which ones that are still available can be 'tweeked'

BTW I'm using Sure Thing's software for printing which has always worked well for me.
Old January 1st, 2011, 08:11 PM   #27
Major Player

Epson Printer for DVDs

Hi all again,

I upgraded my computer to 64 bit and now I need a new printer to print DVDs. I currently have the old Epson Stylus Photo 960 that prints great, very nice. It prints great on DVDs as well but I have to hold my finger against the CD try so it does not get misalined. Epson does not provide Win7 64bit drivers so I need a new printer. I also have a Dell Photo 966 all-in-one printer that prints great photos but slow and does not print on DVDs. DVD only printers are to expensive. I have done a bit of research and the Epson printers look the best in this category. I am looking at the Epson 1400 or maybe the R1900. Does anyone know anything about the R1900 printer? Does it print the WaterShield type printing? Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

John Gerard
John Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 01:33 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Before you give up on your Epson, you might try the drivers on this page (if you haven't already):

Epson Stylus Photo 960, Drivers & Downloads - Technical Support - Epson America, Inc.

My old 320 wasn't working under Win 7 64 so I messed around with some of these and now it works fine, and has a newer copy of the Print CD software as well. Still pretty rudimentary but better than the one that came with the printer.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 01:54 PM   #29
Major Player

Epson R1900

Hi,
I am wavering towards the Epson R1900. Because I can print large format prints on occasion and it uses a wider rage of colors than the R800. I still need to do some more research on this printer. I will probable get an ics system for this printer as well. My Dell while printing photos well uses a lot of ink. Every time I turn around I am replacing the Photo ink cartage. And it has to perform a nozzle cleaning check every time I switch back and forth between black only printing text and Photos.
I tried for my Epson 960 print a printer ink refill kit a number of years ago. You had to refill each cartage individually and you had to place a bit of hot clue to hold the ink in the cartage that I could not get right so the ink would just leak out. I gave up and went back to just buying OEM cartages. Even thought they are very expensive. $70USD for a complete set. I hope the new Ics systems are much easier to use. Also what is the best ink. In the past OEM was the only way to go if you wanted great consistent color.

John Gerard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gerard View Post
Hi all again,

I upgraded my computer to 64 bit and now I need a new printer to print DVDs. I currently have the old Epson Stylus Photo 960 that prints great, very nice. It prints great on DVDs as well but I have to hold my finger against the CD try so it does not get misalined. Epson does not provide Win7 64bit drivers so I need a new printer. I also have a Dell Photo 966 all-in-one printer that prints great photos but slow and does not print on DVDs. DVD only printers are to expensive. I have done a bit of research and the Epson printers look the best in this category. I am looking at the Epson 1400 or maybe the R1900. Does anyone know anything about the R1900 printer? Does it print the WaterShield type printing? Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

John Gerard
John Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2011, 02:09 PM   #30
Major Player

Epson DVD printers

Hi,
First, that link does not seem to work. The only 64bit divers I could find for the 960 on Epson's site was for the Epson Easy Print driver/ software. I am going to try that and see. Windows7 did install some sort of driver that shows the printer as a USB device but by that driver along it is not recognized by any of my software so I can't print.

John Gerard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
Before you give up on your Epson, you might try the drivers on this page (if you haven't already):

Epson Stylus Photo 960, Drivers & Downloads - Technical Support - Epson America, Inc.

My old 320 wasn't working under Win 7 64 so I messed around with some of these and now it works fine, and has a newer copy of the Print CD software as well. Still pretty rudimentary but better than the one that came with the printer.
John Gerard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC