Updates to Videoguys' DIY 7.7? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #1
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Woodinville, WA USA
Posts: 3,464
Updates to Videoguys' DIY 7.7?

Like many others on this board, I'm building a new workstation based on the Videoguys DIY 7.7 recommendations. But as a year has passed since the original article, and about six months since the latest update, I was wondering if there are better/newer components out there that others would recommend, or, more importantly, better values. For example, a lot of people seem to like the 980x more than the 920 or 930, but while it's double the performance, it's triple the price, so I'm not sure it's the best value unless you really need screaming fast performance. Then again, maybe you always need screaming fast performance.

Obviously, the video card they recommend isn't certified for MPE in Premiere, so that'll have to be modified as well.

Also, recommendations on system builders would be most valuable. I've checked out Mwave and Avadirect, both recommended here, but I was wondering if there were any other reputable builders that people like.

I noticed that Mwave has the Asus P6T Deluxe but not the V2 version -- is there really a real-world difference?

All input welcome. Thanks, guys and gals.
__________________
"It can only be attributable to human error... This sort of thing has cropped up before, and it has always been due to human error."
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 232
I haven't had any experience with the 6 core chip. However, I have an overclocked i7 920 that is pretty close in PPBM4 benchmark to an overclocked i7 980x. Both are running at the same clock speed, and mine is only a hair slower.

http://ppbm4.com/Benchmark.html

Look at Harm's CS5 scores! I have to get that soon.

My recommendation would be to go with the i7 930, using the money saved on a better RAID system. Also, max out the RAM without using 4GB chips (too expensive still). P6T is a great platform to build off of. I have the Deluxe V2 mobo and it's great. Stable overclocking.
Craig Coston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #3
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Woodinville, WA USA
Posts: 3,464
Craig, thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, the 4GB sticks are expensive, but compared to what? If you fill the six slots with 2GB sticks and then later want to move up to 24GB, you have to throw all your sticks out. If you buy three 4GB sticks now, you could double your RAM just by buying three more later. I guess it could still work out cheaper to do it the first way but the waste of it all bugs me.

About the mobo, I think I recall either you or Randall (love the debates you guys have) saying to make sure the board is the V2 version, as you mentioned. Does the V2 matter, and how does it differ from the plain-wrap P6T Deluxe?

Thanks for the advice.
__________________
"It can only be attributable to human error... This sort of thing has cropped up before, and it has always been due to human error."
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Melrose Park, Illinois, USA
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
Yeah, the 4GB sticks are expensive, but compared to what? If you fill the six slots with 2GB sticks and then later want to move up to 24GB, you have to throw all your sticks out. If you buy three 4GB sticks now, you could double your RAM just by buying three more later. I guess it could still work out cheaper to do it the first way but the waste of it all bugs me.

About the mobo, I think I recall either you or Randall (love the debates you guys have) saying to make sure the board is the V2 version, as you mentioned. Does the V2 matter, and how does it differ from the plain-wrap P6T Deluxe?
First off, 4GB sticks cost more than triple the price of the 2GB sticks at present. In fact, some 4GB sticks cost nearly quadruple the price of their corresponding 2GB counterparts. In this instance, three 4GB sticks cost $600 versus about $350 for six 2GB sticks.

Second, the original P6T Deluxe came with an onboard SAS controller. Unfortunately, that board is very buggy, which is why Asus replaced it with the v2 which lacks the SAS controller.

The P6X58D series is slowly superceding the P6T series. The P6X58D series adds an onboard SATA III (6 Gbps) controller and an onboard USB 3.0 controller to the best parts of the P6T series.

Finally, looking at the PPBM4 benchmark I see that the current top overall performer is (surprisingly) a stock-speed i7-930 with 12GB of RAM. But its score was helped out by Premiere Pro CS5 (which is more efficient than CS4) and the use of a GTX 470 graphics card (which is faster in CS5 than any other GPU except the GTX 480 in software mode - and none of the HD 58xx series GPUs are listed yet in that database). In addition, an Intel SSD connected to a SATA 6 Gbps port helped.

Last edited by Randall Leong; May 14th, 2010 at 09:46 PM.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 232
Adam,

Randall is right about the RAM and said what I was going for originally but didn't expand upon. It's about the cost benefit. If you have plenty of money to throw around, by all means stick 4GB chips in there. However, my plan is to stick with 12GB (6x2GB) until the 4GB chips are much cheaper. Once that happens, I'll upgrade and Ebay the 2GB sticks or put them in another machine.

Randall, that PPBM4 benchmark is quite impressive. I need to get CS5! That system's specs look eerily similar to what I spec'd out for someone on one of these forums a month or two ago. Went with that same motherboard with the Crucial 128GB SATA III SSD, but spec'd with a Quadro 4800 instead (he insisted upon it). Keep in mind that motherboard only has 2 of the SATA III ports, so building a RAID array on it other than a two drive for the OS really isn't possible.
Craig Coston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #6
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Woodinville, WA USA
Posts: 3,464
Great info. Thanks guys.
__________________
"It can only be attributable to human error... This sort of thing has cropped up before, and it has always been due to human error."
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #7
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Atlanta/USA
Posts: 2,507
How about building it yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
Also, recommendations on system builders would be most valuable. I've checked out Mwave and Avadirect, both recommended here, but I was wondering if there were any other reputable builders that people like.
I built my VGuys dreammachine about half a year ago without any problems.

Keep in mind, it was my very first computer build! There is enough expertise and good will here on this forum and other more hardware-specialized fora to be able to do it yourself... and if you get stuck, just ask for help.
__________________
Ervin Farkas, CDVS
Certified Legal Videographer
Ervin Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #8
Tourist
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mexico, DF
Posts: 3
What mobo instead of P6T deluxe v2?

Hi! I am trying to build my own PC based in Videoguys 7.7 but cannot find mobo P6T Deluxe V2, there is a P6T a P6TD deluxe (with no V2). Which should I buy? Or should I go to the P6X58D as mentioned by Randall on this thread?
This is my very first DIY so I really need help!

Thanks


Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Leong View Post
First off, 4GB sticks cost more than triple the price of the 2GB sticks at present. In fact, some 4GB sticks cost nearly quadruple the price of their corresponding 2GB counterparts. In this instance, three 4GB sticks cost $600 versus about $350 for six 2GB sticks.

Second, the original P6T Deluxe came with an onboard SAS controller. Unfortunately, that board is very buggy, which is why Asus replaced it with the v2 which lacks the SAS controller.

The P6X58D series is slowly superceding the P6T series. The P6X58D series adds an onboard SATA III (6 Gbps) controller and an onboard USB 3.0 controller to the best parts of the P6T series.

Finally, looking at the PPBM4 benchmark I see that the current top overall performer is (surprisingly) a stock-speed i7-930 with 12GB of RAM. But its score was helped out by Premiere Pro CS5 (which is more efficient than CS4) and the use of a GTX 470 graphics card (which is faster in CS5 than any other GPU except the GTX 480 in software mode - and none of the HD 58xx series GPUs are listed yet in that database). In addition, an Intel SSD connected to a SATA 6 Gbps port helped.
Maria Cepeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NY, NYC
Posts: 367
In the same situation and looking at the P6X58D myself -- curious to know what others think about this board...

(was just looking at specs) Humm -- no eSATA? Why not? New Egg is out of the P6T Delux v2 -- any other suggestions?

Last edited by James Binder; October 5th, 2010 at 04:27 PM.
James Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Melrose Park, Illinois, USA
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Cepeda View Post
Hi! I am trying to build my own PC based in Videoguys 7.7 but cannot find mobo P6T Deluxe V2, there is a P6T a P6TD deluxe (with no V2). Which should I buy? Or should I go to the P6X58D as mentioned by Randall on this thread?
This is my very first DIY so I really need help!

Thanks
Actually, the VideoGuys are updating its DIY build so that it now includes the relatively new Asus P6X58D-E motherboard. That mobo should cost about $230 or so.

As for the 4GB DIMMs, they have come down in price rather quickly. At this present moment you should get 12GB worth of three 4GB sticks of RAM for just under $300, which is about half of what those same three 4GB sticks cost just a few months ago. True, 4GB sticks still cost somewhat more per GB than 2GB sticks of the same speed and latency timings, but you'll have more slots open just in case you want to go the full 24GB.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:57 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network