Surge protection needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 10th, 2003, 11:21 AM   #1
Major Player

Surge protection needed

I got zapped over my network connection this past weekend. It took out my Gateway box, network hub, 2 ethernet cards, and a combo vcr/DVD.

I have all of my stuff on surge supressors, but, don't have anything for my network lines (cat 5). Anyone have any suggestions.
Old July 10th, 2003, 11:42 AM   #2
Major Player

Harry,

Kind of doubt the source of the surge was on your network lines unless they are somehow directly to something outside the house. Could the surge have come in on phone lines (connected to modem) or cable (connected to cable modem) and then damaged associated equipment? I lived in FL (lightening capital of the world) for 10 yrs and found a lot of folks that thought a surge protector on the AC line was all that was required. You really need to protect any line coming into your house. I've used equipment from Ditek (http://www.ditekcorp.com/) with good results in the past. I would highly recommend that you have surge protection on your phone and cable lines at the entry point to your house for more complete protection.

BTW, regardless of your protection, a direct hit will still wipe you out. I had one that caused arcing between a VCR and a Sat rcvr that were almost an inch apart. They both looked like someone spot welded on the case.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 05:18 PM   #3
Major Player

We just got broadband, via our local phone company. Comes into the house on a cat 5 line. Goes into the gateway, which separates phone, tv and computer. (This gateway was damaged, in the computer portion) From there I have a cat 5 to my network hub (fried) and to my computers. (both ethernet cards fried) Then separately, my combo vcr/dvd (which has cable going to it) was fried. None of my other equipment, which is all on suppressors, was damaged.

My problem is, that I'm having a dickins of a time trying to find the necessary protection for my computer. (I have located a couple of suppressors that work with the regular cable tv lines.)
Old July 10th, 2003, 06:10 PM   #4
Major Player

Check this http://www.ditekcorp.com/productDetails.asp?idProduct=DTK-MRJ11SCP-LV RJ45 jack in and out. Designed for CAT 5 circuits.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 06:53 PM   #5
Warden

I do all my internet connections wireless. A lightning strike might take out the wireless hub, but the computers are safe. I only plug in the ethernet cable if I have large video files to transfer. The AC to the computers is all surge protected or in the case of the editing station, combo battery back-up etc.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion