New FREE teleprompter web-based app - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:32 PM   #16
Major Player

Hey Mike, just wanted to say thank you for your work so far. I haven't used the app yet, but it will be on my MacBook soon.

Oh I should add I'm looking for an upside down font and found this: SunnyNeo - Upside Down Text Generator

It kind of works by flipping the text then pasting it into your app.

Duncan.
Old April 4th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Craig View Post
Hey Mike, just wanted to say thank you for your work so far. I haven't used the app yet, but it will be on my MacBook soon.

Oh I should add I'm looking for an upside down font and found this: SunnyNeo - Upside Down Text Generator

It kind of works by flipping the text then pasting it into your app.

Duncan.
Yeah this is what I was talking about - it only works somewhat. There are no capital letters. This is a unicode hack and unicode doesn't have upside down caps. Thanks for the research though.
Mike Drob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 09:30 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Thanks Mike! Very useful thing to have.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 12:30 AM   #19
Wrangler

What a great app to share!

The few times I had to use a teleprompter it was kind of a pain editing text and adjusting the speed. Yours is so easy anyone could figure it out at first glance and operate it sufficiently in no time.

I hope the day comes that you can mirror the text. That would be outstanding.

Very well done! I'm constantly amazed at the talent and generosity of folks on this board. Thank you. :)
Old April 5th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Drob View Post
Ask and you shall receive. Portable stand-alone version is now available. Please let me know how it works for you all.

EasyPrompter - the best free online teleprompter.
Mike,

I saved the portable version but the icons/pictures are not showing up when I run it either from your site or locally.
Hart Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #21
Major Player

A couple suggestions:

- Of course mirroring is critical, but you know that already.
- It would be nice if using the left arrow to decrease speed would take it down to "0". Also there isn't enough fine adjustment for speed at the bottom end. The difference between 0-1-2 are too great. Anything above 4 is too fast to be useful for reading.
- Mouse wheel control of speed would be cool if possible

Nice work! Now I just have to figure out how to mount my netbook to the camera. :)
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I have to agree with Brett. This program will be great for people doing very short takes, but usually with longer shoots you will need to vary the speed of the read, especially for live shoots. Being able to alter the speed of the scroll on the fly would be a great advancement. It's also fairly easy to create your own font(I know someone who once did one of his one handwriting) so it shouldn't be all that hard to create a reverse font to use with your program, however that would need to be included in your program.
Matt Ratelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ratelle View Post
I have to agree with Brett. This program will be great for people doing very short takes, but usually with longer shoots you will need to vary the speed of the read, especially for live shoots. Being able to alter the speed of the scroll on the fly would be a great advancement. It's also fairly easy to create your own font(I know someone who once did one of his one handwriting) so it shouldn't be all that hard to create a reverse font to use with your program, however that would need to be included in your program.
Speed adjustment on the fly and scrolling up and down is already there. Use the up down left right cursors, you'll see.
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Hart - what browser are you using? have you tried in a different one? the only thing I can think of is that it's set not to download/show images.

Brett - unfortunately, the speed of the scroll depends a bit on the hardware and resolution used. Go up to like a 120pt font on a 1600x1050 screen and run it full screen (F11 in most browsers) and 6 or 7 becomes a decent speed. I will see if I can put more fine-tuning in.

Scroll wheel support coming soon.

Instead of going down to 0 speed, you can instead hit pause (or Space bar on the keyboard)

for those trying to mount it - I found a neat solution. I have a portable music stand (I also play the violin in a rock band - SEVEN WAYS OUT - official space of a nyc-based co-ed rock band - so I happen to have this) - this stand is pretty sturdy with a solid top. It's height adjustable and easily supports a laptop - I set it so the top of the screen is just below the lens.

Here is the result:
YouTube - Chiron Training Center promo video
(announcer comes in at 0:20)

keep the comments coming!
Old April 7th, 2009, 01:17 AM   #25
Regular Crew

OK .. I just posted an update. couple things:

1 - the speed adjustment is more precise now - you should get about 3x the resolution in terms of timing.

2 - scroll wheel is now supported to adjust the speed of the prompter in real time

3 - compact version updated with these changes (so you'll have to download it again). Also, added a link to the compact version to "Check for updates." This will make it easier for those of you who are on the compact version to see if something new has been created without scouring the forums.

Note - you may need to refresh your browser cache in order to see some of these changes.
Old April 10th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #26
Major Player

Thank you so much Mike for doing this. My daughter is an actor and she loves it.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #27
Regular Crew

That's great news. I would love to hear back from end users. Feedback will make this tool better.
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #28
Regular Crew

excellent

very nice idea, well done and so simple and small....all in a browser, thank you!
Hanno di Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #29
Regular Crew

This is great! Thank you!
Paula DiSante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #30
Regular Crew

EasyPrompter is now on Twitter - follow the news / updates and add suggestions there
Easy Prompter (EasyPrompter) on Twitter
Thanks!

P.S. - I love seeing people from all over the world using this! Let me know if there are issues with other languages or anything.
Mike Drob is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion