New FREE teleprompter web-based app - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:11 PM   #61
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Drob View Post
I never even heard of that one - I'd be curious to see what the script errors actually complain about. Does it ride on top of IE6 or 7?
See attached for error message. I have IE 7 at work and 8 at home, exact same behavior.
Attached Thumbnails
New FREE teleprompter web-based app-sbrowser.jpg  
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:20 PM   #62
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
See attached for error message. I have IE 7 at work and 8 at home, exact same behavior.
permission denied eh .. interesting. Not even sure where that may apply. Will test it on IE when I get a chance but as the description on the portable page says - IE is just not supported at this time for the portable version.
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:07 AM   #63
Regular Crew

OK the problem is with detaching the controls - it's the same problem that makes images not show up in IE. IE doesnt support embedded data in html. I am trying to make a super-portable version now w/o any images or embedded data but IE doesnt cooperate too much - not to worry. I'll strangle it one way or another :)

stay tuned.

in the meantime, all other functions should be working - also, if you can at all, consider a better browser;)
Old May 4th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #64
Inner Circle

Re-reading your request I see you've been asking about the OS as well - it's XP Pro on both machines, MS updates to day on the home machine, selective (corporate) updates at work.

But don't waist too much sleep on this Slimbrowser thing, this is just my choice, not a lot of people use it anyway. What I like most about it is the auto login - tried that with a few other IE add-ons and none of them worked properly for me.

As long as you nail IE, we're all fine!
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #65
Regular Crew

Quote:
What I like most about it is the auto login
If that's the only reason, I'd suggest opera or FF or any other browser -they all have password memorization if you want them to. Also, take a look at clipperz.com - open source, 1-way encrypted password management with ability to use it for auto-login.
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #66
Inner Circle

Thanks Mike, Microsoft can memorize passwords regardless of your browser, but that's not what I am looking for. With auto login in Slimbrowser you click a favorite and lean back, that's it, you're there. The login info is stored on your computer and the script fills all the info in AND CLICKS the "ok" or "login" tab for you. Yeah, I'm lazy... I am looking at Chrome, they are still adding features, they may have this as well one day...

But we digress, back to your great software!
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #67
Regular Crew

Internet Explorer has been defeated. New version (1.0.5) of the portable app is now out with full support for IE. I dub this the "ugly" version due to lack of graphics :)

I believe this is a good compromise between functionality and aesthetics. I tried to make the non-graphicsl buttons look nearly the same as the ones currently in the full version. Go grab the latest version!

EasyPrompter - Portable Standalone Version: the best free OFFLINE teleprompter.

Ervin - look into clipperz.com - it does exactly what you'er describing except in any browser and from any computer. great piece of javascript.
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #68
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Drob View Post
Ervin - look into clipperz.com - it does exactly what you'er describing except in any browser and from any computer.
You must be kidding.

To give away all my login info by creating an online account and storing all that sensitive stuff there, web logins, bank passwords, credit card numbers??? Huh, they even offer to store my burglar alarm code; absolutely genious!

What a great trick for stealing personal info! Worth a Nobel prize indeed!
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #69
Regular Crew

Quote:
You must be kidding.

To give away all my login info by creating an online account and storing all that sensitive stuff there, web logins, bank passwords, credit card numbers??? Huh, they even offer to store my burglar alarm code; absolutely genious!

What a great trick for stealing personal info! Worth a Nobel prize indeed!
I dont want to hijack my own thread but it's 1-way encryption and it's open source - whats' stored is an encrypted string that w/o your password just simply cannot be gotten to. and the code is in the open so u can go through it and see that that's what it's actually doing.. but to each his own.

anyway - so did the new version fix your issues?
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #70
Inner Circle

No, there is no change; the control panel detaches into a new window, but when I close that window, I still get the error message. And it's the same in IE8 as well on my home PC today. When I close the new window, it goes back to the prompter screen, no controls, with a little exlamation mark in yellow triangle at the bottom, sign of some error. But if it works for everyone else, it might be something wrong with this particular PC. I have a ton of soft on it, just about ready to reformat the whole thing.

As I said before, don't waist too much time on me, I'll report back after I reformat this thing.
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #71
Regular Crew

I know this is a dumb question but you did download the latest copy? Sometimes caching can screw with things. Do the buttons look "uglier" now in IE? (I implemented rounded corners for browsers that support it - IE isn't one of them so the buttons are now kinda ugly-ish square grey)
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #72
Wrangler

Hi Mike, I got the new version and the great news is that the stand alone now works in both IE8 and Safari 4. But I discovered that IE doesn't like the apostrophe character in the script. Might want to have a look and see what's happening there. Otherwise, fantastic job and it doesn't look the least bit ugly to me.

-gb-
Attached Images

Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #73
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Hi Mike, I got the new version and the great news is that the stand alone now works in both IE8 and Safari 4. But I discovered that IE doesn't like the apostrophe character in the script. Might want to have a look and see what's happening there. Otherwise, fantastic job and it doesn't look the least bit ugly to me.

-gb-
proper character escaping is one of the most difficult things to get right with this program on all browsers - I'll look into it. Thanks for the bug report
Old May 8th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #74
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post

-gb-
Fixed - both regular and portable versions. Portable is now at 1.0.6 - go grab the latest!
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #75
Major Player

I recently did a "placeholder" 8 minute film for the UWOL contest on here, and 4 minutes of it was a "talking head" (mine) shot using the Mike Drob prompter... The prompter was displayed on a 17 inch flat screen about 8 feet from my eyes, and the camera located behind that by a couple of feet. I zoomed until the monitor was out of the scene. I think the lack of looking "directly" into the lens was negligible.

Check it out: UWOL 2nd round - Glacier Park Turns 100 on Vimeo
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion