Color Correct beofre magic bullet? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 13th, 2004, 05:48 AM   #1
Major Player

Color Correct beofre magic bullet?

Do i need to Color Correct before using magic bullet. If i do this wont it just work against what im trying to do in magic bullet?

My guess is only color correct for extreme shots, eg a Sunset, and then leave the rest up to MB?

Does this make sense
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 01:32 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Ben,

I would definitely recommend color correcting before Magic Bullet. The reason for this is that your primary purpose in color correcting is to match the color cast of all shots in a scene. Once you do that, you can just slap a Magic Bullet look over the whole scene to give it a unified look.

Also, I've found that the Looks don't do too well on non-color corrected footage. They really seem to accentuate anything that is bad or off about any given shot. For example, if your highlights are blown out, it'll blow them out even more. If your blacks are crushed, it'll crush them even worse. Better to start off with the best looking footage.

I'd suggest you do a test yourself in After Effects. Color correct a shot, then add a Look from Magic Bullet, and then turn off the color correction. You'll probably find you immediately turn the color correction back on!

Good luck,
Ryan
Ryan Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 07:03 PM   #3
Major Player

Should I color correct for a film gamma, or video gamma?

From the tutorials i've used in the past, the color correcting is to give a slightly more filmic look. ie increasing the gamma,curves etc.

Or should I just color correct for scene continuity then use Bullet to do film gamma stuff?

Cheers,
Ben Gurvich
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion