The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 85 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 5th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #1261
New Boot

Ahh, thanks for the clarification!

I would be looking at DV format, with a 24p option (NTSC).

Ultimately the work is to be presented via Digital Projection at festivals and the Internet.

I've been looking mainly at Panasonic and Canon cameras (The Canon XL2 specifically), but wanted to make sure I wasn't limiting myself with older models if anything better and newer was available within my price range.
Matt Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #1262
Tourist

Yet another "What camera to get" (sorry lol)

Hopefully this one is a bit different than the majority.

Heres my situation, I am looking for a high quality prosumer camera that will cost me no more than $1500 CDN. It will be used purely for skateboarding and snowboarding, so I want something that is going to be reliable and can take cold temperatures, some condensation, impacts (hopefully none).

My first though was "HV20" "HC-7" but I don't really want to get into HD right now... so I'm aiming for an SD camcorder.

Now, what I wanted to know, is how good is the SD coming from the hv20 going to be I'm guessing its not what I'm looking for. So I started considering older 3CCD models like GLs VXs DVCs etc, but I really fear the reliability of a used camera.

So basically I'm stuck here, between new or old, cmos or ccd, I'm not in a huge rush to buy anything im expecting to make my purchase late april.

I've talked to a lot of skateboard filmmakers and snowboard and they all are extremely biased, because they use what the "pros" use which is mainly Vx2x00s. Am I really taking a risk buying a 3+ year old camera?

So I ask, to a different group of filmmakers, for my money and situation, what is best?

Thanks guys.
Skawt Kononuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #1263
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skawt Kononuk View Post
Hopefully this one is a bit different than the majority.

Heres my situation, I am looking for a high quality prosumer camera that will cost me no more than $1500 CDN. It will be used purely for skateboarding and snowboarding, so I want something that is going to be reliable and can take cold temperatures, some condensation, impacts (hopefully none).

My first though was "HV20" "HC-7" but I don't really want to get into HD right now... so I'm aiming for an SD camcorder.

Now, what I wanted to know, is how good is the SD coming from the hv20 going to be I'm guessing its not what I'm looking for. So I started considering older 3CCD models like GLs VXs DVCs etc, but I really fear the reliability of a used camera.

So basically I'm stuck here, between new or old, cmos or ccd, I'm not in a huge rush to buy anything im expecting to make my purchase late april.

I've talked to a lot of skateboard filmmakers and snowboard and they all are extremely biased, because they use what the "pros" use which is mainly Vx2x00s. Am I really taking a risk buying a 3+ year old camera?

So I ask, to a different group of filmmakers, for my money and situation, what is best?

Thanks guys.
Stick with SD for now.

"Master the tool. Then you can master the craft. It really doesn't matter what camera you own if you can't make adjustments with your eyes closed and still produce quality images". That was a statement made to me almost 40 years ago by Franz Berko, my first photo instructor. Do a search on his name. You will be blown away.

With todays menu driven cameras, whether still or video, making adjustments with one's eyes closed is a bit difficult, but the substance of the statement remains true. In any case, there is no camera that will meet 100% of your needs. Discovering the need for accessories and painfully making those purchases is part of the process.

I don't shoot the kind of activity you are interested in shooting, but I regularly walk by the skate park our community has built and often imagine how to get the "good shots" as skaters allow themselves to seemingly fall into the deep bowls and ride the steel edges of the concrete topography.

You need a lightweight camera with a very wide angle lens to allow you the flexibility to position yourself quickly and easily. The WA lens must allow you to fully use the zoom of the camera's built-in lens. Whatever SD camera you choose, make the purchase of a wide angle adapter absolutely mandatory!

I use Canon Cameras. The GL2 is among the lightest. Coming from a career of using 35mm still cameras and shoulder carried video cameras I feel the GL2 control buttons are all in the wrong places. However, once I reset my mind, the GL2 became very easy to use, and has produced for me some truly amazing shots from the oddest of angles. I've also used the SONY PD 170. It has amazing low light sensitivity. Camera controls are much more logically placed. A bit front heavy compared to the GL2, but easily managed.

Native color balance is quite different between the two. The Canon is inherently warmer, but RGB adjustment is a feature of both. The SONY built-in audio system tends to favor human speech range where the Canon system has a bolder low end.

I can't personally speak for Panasonic or JVC or other brands, but I have seen one of the Panasonic SD cameras on locaton. Very impressive.

Personally, I'd choose SD. HD has too many issues needing resolution and the test of time. Let the dust settle in that regard. I'm guessing you will be more than ready to upgrade in a couple of years. When the time comes, you will have a lot of experience to shape your next purchasing decision.
Old March 6th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #1264
Tourist

Low light cam to match XL2?

Hello everyone.
I need help choosing a new camera. I have a Canon XL2 and I shoot dragracing event videos. i am looking to add a new camera this year. But I need help choosing what to buy. I like the Canon but it does not do well in low light. I need somthing that will work well with poorly lit dragstrips. It can be HD or not it doesn't matter as long as it looks good at night.

Thanks in advance
Gene
www.prophotoproductions.com
Larry E Hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #1265
Trustee

A Sony PD170
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #1266
Tourist

Wow, thanks a lot for the insight Waldemar.

I've actually been considering the GL2 the most out of prosumer DVs. I'm still torn between the idea of new or used. The problem is to buy a new GL2 its going to run me almost $3,000, where a used one will is virtually half of that. I guess it usually depends on the owner and conditions, but I'm still skeptical about buying a used camera.

EDIT: Oh yeah I tried to find some info on Franz Berko with Google, didn't have much luck... could you help me out?
Skawt Kononuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #1267
Major Player

Quote:

I've actually been considering the GL2 the most out of prosumer DVs. I'm still torn between the idea of new or used. The problem is to buy a new GL2 its going to run me almost $3,000

I'd go with the GL2. And BH has it for $2,300.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #1268
Inner Circle

Any of the cameras discussed here could work (including the HC7), but if most people doing the same thing are using the VX2000 series then having one of those would make it easier to combine footage.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #1269
Inner Circle

Yep, Sony PD170 is just about the best you can get for around $3K. Now if your budget is say $100K, that's another story...
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #1270
Major Player

Quote:

I've actually been considering the GL2 the most out of prosumer DVs. I'm still torn between the idea of new or used. The problem is to buy a new GL2 its going to run me almost $3,000, where a used one will is virtually half of that. I guess it usually depends on the owner and conditions, but I'm still skeptical about buying a used camera.

EDIT: Oh yeah I tried to find some info on Franz Berko with Google, didn't have much luck... could you help me out?
Purchasing a used camera always has its risks. You can mitigate this by purchasing from a reputable dealer that offers a return policy.

Regarding Franz Berko. I did some searching this morning. "Franz" was a nickname. I went to high shool with one of his children and always knew him as Franz. His given first name was "Ferenc". A native Hungarian, he was a contemporary of Edward Weston and other well known contemporaty photographers of the 1930's. He is best known for work done in France, India, and Aspen, Colorado. I found quite a lot of historical references to his name and collections, but few images on line.
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #1271
Major Player

Honestly (and this might be controversial) but I think the DVX is your best bet if your looking to invest in a good SD cam. GL2 is great has the longer zoom, but compared to the DVX I think the panny will leave you happier in the long run. GL2 is stuck in 60i too while DVX can give you the 24p. Idk I think its the smarter choice if your in the market for a decent SD cam. The prices on them right now are also great after the rebate. Just my 2cents.

You can find a good DVX100a for the price of the Gl2 im sure. I suggest you look.

- Kyle
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #1272
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Bray View Post
I'd go with the GL2. And BH has it for $2,300.
$1500 CDN is looking more like Panasonic GS line, in SD, or the newer low end CMOS HDVs, by Canon and Panosonic-- which, by the way, should produce great SD, too.

IF you are going $2,300, go a bit more with Sony VX2100 for ruggedness in your skate board environment
Old March 7th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #1273
Regular Crew

Matt, if you have $3000 to spend on a camera, I would wait and save a few hundred more and get the Canon A1. It's HDV (and DV as well). Image is the same as the XLH1 (best resolution and image quality under 10k right now). It's 24f feature is the same as 24p - no difference. The A1 will smack the pants off the DVX (not that I don't like the DVX as I have one).
George David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #1274
Trustee

Matt also consider the new Sony HDR-FX7. It's around your budget and a very good camera. Try it out if you can. It's HDV and DV as well.

Stelios
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #1275
Trustee

I'd look at a good used Sony FX1. The image is fantastic, and you can shoot SD or HDV. You can probably get one on this board for $2300 or so. It's my second camera (Canon H1 is my first).
Good luck.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion