The gigantic "which camera should I buy" thread! - Page 77 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 3rd, 2006, 06:32 AM   #1141
MPS Digital Studios

For about $3600 (incl. batteries, etc.), you can buy a Sony FX1. That's HD.

heath
Old July 3rd, 2006, 06:37 AM   #1142
New Boot

24p is one of the requirements for this camera which is why we haven't looked at the Sony. Are you saying that we would be better to go HD and use the software solution to 24p instead of buying a camera that records in 24p?
Gretchen Pedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 06:52 AM   #1143
Regular Crew

Hi Gretchen, price for package seems right, about 65% of cost if bought new, so it's a fair deal. I tend to hate buying someone else's package because I have my own preferences, but you can always sell bits off if you find you don't like them, though you'll use that tripod and head for years.

I can understand everyone's hesitation, though, you'll be keeping the DVX until it no longer works because it may be a harder sell later in the face of consumer-friendly HDV cameras coming onto the market. Great camera, but at this point in the game I would be buying the Sony A1U ($2700 at B&H) if cost were a limiting factor.

Either way you're off to a good start with equipment. Let us know how it works out.

(Oops, just noticed the 24p requirement. If you have to have it, you have to have it!)

Last edited by Tom Vandas; July 3rd, 2006 at 08:47 AM.
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 06:57 AM   #1144
MPS Digital Studios

I'd prefer shooting in 24p HD, but if the choice was between 24p SD (and the DVX100 is a wonderful camera, don't get me wrong) and 60i HD, I'd go with HD and software (www.nattress.com or www.dvfilm.com/maker).

heath
Old July 3rd, 2006, 07:04 AM   #1145
Inner Circle

The package seems very good and will make great movies! Now you just need a script and some people to work with and have fun!

Mike
Old July 3rd, 2006, 07:10 AM   #1146
MPS Digital Studios

One more thing...24p is only part of the film look equation. There's also lighting and depth of field. Check out our page on film looks:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=34

heath
Old July 3rd, 2006, 09:27 AM   #1147
New Boot

I spoke with the seller this morning and was able to get the price dropped by another $200 so I agreed! I'm excited for my husband and for me! We've been planning this purchase for about a year and I'm ready to move into the next stage.

We aren't worried about reselling later - we are considering this to be a sunk cost. It is a first camera - we will focus on future-proofing for the next camera. I know that there is a lot more to the film look than 24p, but this is something he felt strongly about - and we can work on the rest. Next up, purchasing lighting as described in the low budget lighting article on this site!

I'm more of a techie, so I'm sure I'll keep posting and researching various methods of creating the best look. I'll update after we pick up the equipment.
Gretchen Pedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2006, 09:52 AM   #1148
MPS Digital Studios

Good luck with the camera (DVX, right?).

heath
Old July 3rd, 2006, 01:40 PM   #1149
Inner Circle

Congrats! Now go shoot something! Seriously, you will probably end up using it for years, and keeping it for a second camera, a must.

Mike
Old July 9th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #1150
Regular Crew

inexpensive camera for POV

hey guys !
what is a the most inexpensive DV camera that you are using with an audio/video in that will record with an external bullet style camera. Using it for moto X and snow sports mounted to the top of a helmet. Using a GL2 but that is WAY too big to carry around in a backpack. my older JVC 9800 has external inputs but it recently took a dump on me. Any help appreciated!
Trevor Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #1151
Trustee

Sanyo's little HD1 looks like a decent cam for this kind of operation...and at $700, it's not a terrible loss in comparison if something happens to it. it's HD sith some obvious noise on contrast lines, but good color and decent picture. There's a thread around with a bunch of footage from it.

<edit>fixed model number</edit>

Last edited by Cole McDonald; July 10th, 2006 at 09:02 AM.
Cole McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #1152
Major Player

A new newbie wondering what camera to get!

Hello,

I just joined and I'm looking for advice.
I would like to get serious about being in the film industry, but in order to get to the pro 35mm, I have to start with what I can afford... :( I currently have an analog Samsung Hi8 SCL901, that I am trying to sell (its my first camcorder and it's still like new). Once I sell that I plan on getting a Digital Video camera with a budget of $400. I would like to know what would be the best thing to get with the budget I have. Please suggest what you think would be best for me. I want a bit of manual control such as; focus, white balance, and shutter-speed (oh and a mic port would be good too, but not as necessary as the other stuff).
I was looking at the Panasonic PV-GS39. It has almost every thing I want, but is it a good enough camera? I don't know. If you have tried this camera please tell me what you thought about it. Thanks!

~ Amateur in the making, Gabriel.
Gabriel Yeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #1153
Tourist

Holocaust project... Which camcorder?

This summer I'm going to be interviewing my grandmother on film discussing her holocaust experiences. This is intended to become a family heirloom for many generations, so I need SUPERB video and audio, as well as miniDV, which I've heard records more and at higher quality than DVD camcorders. (However, I do not care about the still picture quality)
The camcorders I'm considering are
1. Canon DC40- 4.3 megapixels recording capacity, but reviews say only decent audio. Does that mean it's only decent when recording at a distance, but if I put a mic right next to my grandmother, the quality will be as good as any other camera?
2. PV GS500- 3 CCD, which I hear makes great video. I'm not sure about audio quality though.
3. Sony DVD505, which I think is out b/c of the DVD recording thing.
Can you guys advise on the proper camcorder for this project? These 3 are the only ones I have researched and none seems perfect. Are there any others in this price range (or a little higher) that would be preferable?
Thanks!
Danny..... by the way, which is preferable- the 3CCD or the 4.3 megapixel single CCD? Keep in mind we can always adjust the light in the room to match the camera's strongest performance.
Danny Frucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #1154
Regular Crew

eBay! and/or Craigslist.com

You can find some great deals for digital cams!

But don't expect too many manual controls for $400!

Good Luck!

and let us know what you end up with!
Charlie Vankirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 04:50 PM   #1155
Inner Circle

I've used a GS400, got pretty good quality from it, for that price. 3CCD gives you a beautiful color quality, although I've heard the canon optura's with their RGB filter give great color quality too. Pixel qount isn't that important for video.

Maybe a used Canon GM2 or used Panasonic DVC30 or something?
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion